LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / Liquimatic Transmission

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Liquimatic Transmission

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts first

v8teditor
05-18-2011 @ 6:57 AM

Here's a photo of the Foundation's Liquamatic. The piece of plexiglass contains the dash controls. Note the vacuum canister along the back of the block. Paperwork at bottom of picture details the engine and how it was discovered. There's also a photo of the engine in a crate as it was when acquired by the Foundation. The crate was jammed with Model A dash inserts and the donor thought it was only the engine block. When all the inserts were removed, the entire engine, tranny and ALL the controls were discovered. What a find!

This message was edited by v8teditor on 5-18-11 @ 6:58 AM

v8teditor
05-18-2011 @ 6:46 AM

Dave Cole authored a two-part article in the V-8 TIMES - Jan/Feb 1993 and Mar/Apr 1993 on the LIQUAMATIC. The thing required a special block. Had many problems primarily because it was a mixture of mechanical and electrical controls and the mechanics that knew how to work on the things went off to war. There was also an article on how the Foundation acquired the one they have published probably in 1992. Fortunately the thing was in a crate as removed from a vehicle for return to Ford and had ALL the controls, canisters, wiring harness, etc. still attached! The engine/tranny was cosmetically restored but all the internal components are still there! Probably one of the only remaining examples of what was not a "better idea!"

Stroker
05-18-2011 @ 5:58 AM
Senior

Alan: I was aware of the Hydromatic Lincoln's but the Liquimatic was a new one on me. I wonder what Lincoln would have done if GM hadn't opted to sell them their trans? Might have been worse than the time when the worlds only Hydromatic plant burned down. Imagine buying a new Caddie with a Buick Dynaflush trans! Dan

ford38v8
05-17-2011 @ 7:37 PM
Senior

Dan, lover of the obscure, did you know that Lincoln used the Hydromatic coupled to its big block flathead? The Lincoln 337 used in the Cosmpolitan had a Hydro. Yes indeedy. Remember the Muntz? It also used the Lincoln 337 coupled to a Hydromatic, licenced as a package from Lincoln Motors.

About the Dodge Fluid Drive, it was a good transmission. My father couldn't destroy it, so it must have been good! I remember that he once tore his bumper off trying to pull a stump with his Dodge. My father could wreck any car, but never had a problem with those Fluid Drives. Poor man would sit in his car for an hour waiting for a tow truck driver to change his flat tire. He had his talents, but automobiles were as strange to him then as computers are to me today.

Alan

Stroker
05-17-2011 @ 2:54 PM
Senior

Super:

I don't know whether anyone else cares, but I for one am a lover of obscure stuff. I'd love to see the Liquimatic info. Like a few of us, I didn't even know they existed until I read about the Foundations example a while back in the V8 Times. I believed until recently that the first FoMoCo built automatic was the air-cooled Fordomatic that debuted in the 51's. I had a classmate in the 50's that had a 41 Cheebie with a vacuum clutch, and other buddies that had 40's Plowmouth's with "Fluid-Drive", but I had never heard of the "infamous Liquimatic". Goes to show that you CAN teach an Old Dog.

My mom had a 57 Country Sedan (312 T-Bird Special) with a "Fordo" in it. I used it as a tow car for our little fuel-burning 2-Port Reilly 33 Ford powered rail job that we raced at the Colton Drag Strip. One night, after shucking a rod in the 33-4 banger, I decided to enter our tow vehicle. It was classed (in 1957), as a AA-Stock-Automatic. In the final round, I was up against a 283-4bbl Cheebie coupe with a Powerslide. You could put that Fordo in low, lift up a notch to get it to shift, and then pull the selector back into low, which would lock it in second. Mom's wagon cleaned the Cheebie's clock, but I then had a bit of a dilemma. Since I'd borrowed her car only to tow the digger, I couldn't take the trophy for the tow vehicle home without a long explanation.

supereal
05-17-2011 @ 12:22 PM
Senior

There are two pages of info on the '42 Liquamatic drive, including the gear box and controls, in the Canadian Ford shop manual, pages 126-127, if you are curious. If interested, I can scan it and e-mail or post it. It was also offered in the Lincoln, but included an overdrive, according to the text. It was a curious experiment with a torque converter, and a vacuum shifter, plus relay controls. It was devised to compete with the HydraMatic that GM debuted in the late '30s, but was a huge failure and resulted in a total recall, as mentioned above.

ford38v8
05-16-2011 @ 11:37 AM
Senior

Larry, the '42 Merc did indeed have the option of the new Liquimatic transmission. It was an instant failure, and all were recalled to replace with standard transmissions. The other information you received about cutouts in panels, I suspect to be speculation, as well as the installation in Lincoln cars, of which I had never heard of till now.

As stated above, there is a complete Liquimatic engine assembly at the Foundation museum, and yes, it's a monstrous looking thing that is likely to have required a forward mount.

Alan

nelsb01
05-16-2011 @ 7:30 AM
Senior

The Foundation has one that was not returned to Dearborn. Check out their website for more information.

GNWolohon
05-16-2011 @ 7:27 AM

I was at our regional group's, Dearborn Regional Group #67, annual Dustoff Party & Inspection event last Saturday. I brought my '48 Ford Tudor Sedan & was comparing it to a '48 Mercury Convertible. I noticed that there are a cutout in each of the inner panel of the front fenders. I asked what was the reason for the cutouts. The owner stated that Lincolns & Mercurys in 1942 only, had a "Liquimatic" transmission. Since this transmission was so long they had to move the engine forward about 4" & they cut out the inner panel of the front fender so they could move the radiator forward to accompany this "Liquimatic" transmission. The owner of the '48 Merc. also stated that almost all of the Liquimatic transmissions were recalled & destroyed.

Do any of you know anthing else about the "Liquimatic" transmissions? This is the first time that I have ever heard of a "Liquimatic" transmission. Thanks, Larry/owner of a "41 & a "48.

<< previous || next >> 

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org