LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / Spring Spreader

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Spring Spreader

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

wmsteed
10-29-2009 @ 10:03 AM
Senior

In the past, from time to time the subject of how to safely remove the chassis springs from a pre '48 Ford/Merc has come up.
I have responded to these questions, both on the old forum and via emails several times. In my email responses I attached pictures of the spreader I made from memory of the one I used when I worked at a Ford garage in the early 1950's.
A couple of years ago I sent a written description with pictures of the spring spreader to Jerry Windle, Editor of the V8 Times, Jerry was going to publish the info in the Times, to date he has not done this.
Since the New EFV-8 forum is now picture friendly I have attached a picture of the spreader to this topic.
The pix should pretty well tell the whole story, however if a more detailed description is needed I will write one up and post same herein....

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

zeker8
10-29-2009 @ 10:29 AM

What size is the allthread, I assume it's allthread. Thanks Zeke

oldford2
10-29-2009 @ 11:20 AM

I made one a couple of years ago from WMSTEED's plan. It is 3/4 threaded rod. I think he called for fine thread but it was hard to find so I used course thread and it worked fine. Makes changing shackles easy (once you get the *#@&* old studs out). Easy to make if you have a friend to do a little welding for the end plates. If not, I saw one the same idea except he heated the ends of the pipe and flattened and ground a spade end on them to fit where the spring starts it's return to make the eye. No welding involved. As always, be careful using it. John

supereal
10-29-2009 @ 11:44 AM
Senior

We used two different types of spring spreaders at the dealership. One, like Bill's, was threaded so it could be put between the eyes of the spring when it was out of the car, the other was a bar with flat ends that we inserted between the eyes. It held the spring as we lifted the body with a chain hoist. Today, with Chinese "port-a-power" tools so cheap, they make a good spreader, as well as being handy for other purposes. In any case, be careful with a spring that is under tension.

42wagon
10-29-2009 @ 4:13 PM
Senior

I made one out of a length of 3/4" all-thread, a length of 3/4" pipe and a nut and a couple of washers. I heated and flattened the ends to chisel points. Works great for all V8s with the spring behind the axle. For Model As and other cars with the spring over the axle you need a bar with a "U" in it to go over the banjo. I believe Macs and the other usual suspects sell these.

Once again be very careful using any spring spreader as the spring has a surprising amount of tension in it. It is advisable to send the wife on a shopping trip as mine gets very nervous when the spring spreader is in use.

ford38v8
10-29-2009 @ 4:41 PM
Senior

I used 1" Allthread, 1" schedule 80 black iron pipe, and 1" Connectors,
instead of nuts. The Connectors are same as nuts, but are 2 1/2" long,
providing plenty of thread to prevent galling. a couple of drops of oil
and they turn easily under load.

I cut the pipe ends at a 45º angle, and welded on a 2" section of 1 1/2"
angle iron, giving the pipe an offset for clearance.

With the Connectors on, hit the allthread with a spotweld at 8" from
either end to prevent cranking all the way out.

This makes a heavy tool, but this is one place that overkill makes a lot
of sense. As it is heavy, a light chain looped at one end for safety while
you install the other end comes in handy.

Alan

42guy
10-29-2009 @ 7:37 PM

Like Alan,I also made mine of 1" Allthread. I had made one with 3/4" and had the spring spread. I was called away and didn't return for a couple of hrs. When I looked, I had a nice bow in the Allthread. Luckily nothing let go and I wasn't under there.
I guess some of the junk you buy at the hardware stores is probably from China.
For the 1" I went to an industrial bolt supply house.
Lesson learned.

wmsteed
10-30-2009 @ 10:17 AM
Senior

The spring spreader shown in my picture is made up according to the following:
The pipe is 1" industrial grade black pipe as used in fire sprinklers.
The threaded rod is 3/4" industrial grade, course thread.
The nuts and washers are also industrial grade.
The pipe portion is 15" long incl the end pieces.
The threaded rod is approx 18" long.
The double nuts in the center are to hold the shaft steady while the nut adjacent to the pipe is turned to extend the ends. I used adjusting nuts at both ends of the rod to equalize the tension on the rod.
I configured the spreader so the main force of the spreader would be at the center point of the spring eye in lieu of against the flat part of the spring.
If the vehicle is jacked up, to the point that the weight is barely off the tires, very little actual force is needed to expand the spring.
It is visible from the pix that the spring in the spreader is a later model spring, "large eye"... If the spreader is used an the earlier "small eye" springs an adapter cut from a pipe section is inserted between the larger spreader opening and the small eye of the early spring.
A few words of caution!!! Make sure the spreader is centered on the spring spring eye and well seated before you start expanding the spreader. If you try to use supplies from the local outlet store in lieu of industrial quality steel you could have problems.
I made the spreader shown in the pix about twenty-five years ago.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

42ford
10-30-2009 @ 1:34 PM

Here is a pic of the spring spreader I have. I can't read a name on it, but it is not a homemade one. It is quite heavy maybe 20 pounds
Dick

<< previous || next >> 

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org