LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / 1937 Ford dash headlight switch/ciga lighter

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: 1937 Ford dash headlight switch/ciga lighter -- page: 1 2 3

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

fordson
10-30-2010 @ 3:38 AM

Hello there,
Iam missing the dash headlight switch unit and knob, as well as the cigar lighter unit with knob for my 37 Ford coupe.I have contacted Drake etc. for replacement, but no period correct headlight switch unit is manufactured by them or seems to be available anywhere else. Classic Car Accessories have asked me for a photo of the items but i cant find any pictures on the net. Is there anybody out there who might have a picture (j-pg) of one or both units? or maybe even FOR SALE? I have just ordered the new ford 1937 (restauration) book from the US in hope to identify these 2 parts more clearly. Maybe i could also do with a switch or lighter from another model or year. I have attached a j-peg of my dashboard, to make sure its the right parts iam looking for. The right hand side hole is slightly cut out to both sides, looks a bit awkward, but i supose that is correct.
Regards Randolf

37RAGTOPMAN
10-30-2010 @ 6:39 AM
Senior

Randolf
try e-bay,the dash light switch is getting hard to find, the way it works you pull it out to shut off the lights,
the hole for the lighter looks ok, you will have to find a cigar lighter housing the same size, most of the ones years ago were all the same, the element is the thing will be a little harder to find,you will need one that you can screw the cigar dash knob on,
did you try LITTLE DEARBORN FORD PARTS,
I would suggest you join the V8 CLUB,if you are not a member as of yet,
they have a fairly large classified section,in the V8 TIMES. were you also can look of members selling items, and
also try putting a ad on thie web site, under wanted,
hope this helps 37 RAGTOPMAN an KEEP on FORDIN,,,!!!

37 Coupe
10-30-2010 @ 7:23 AM

Here is a picture of the dash switch from my 1937 Ford standard coupe,I cannot tell from your picture but yours may be a Deluxe dash? Knob color is different Deluxe and standard. A lot of people knock Ebay but I was able to nail down a NOS switch with a Standard knob already on it. the guy who I bought from has a lot of NOS Ford stuff,he goes by testuardo on ebay but his name is Robert Azario from New York and Florida. Hope this helps.

CharlieStephens
10-30-2010 @ 2:17 PM
Senior

I could be missing something but what you are calling the “dash headlight switch unit” is actually the “instrument panel light control” (see page 3-11 of “The 1937 Ford Book”). I must admit that I don’t know if it is an off/on switch or a dimmer but I am sure the owners manual that came with the car (available from https://secure435.hostgator.com/~dlvry40/ufolder/ShowProducts.php?c=1&s=1&g=1&t=1&tn=) will say. Is this what you are looking for or are you looking for the headlight control switch (or parts) that controls the headlights and is part of the steering column assembly? Since export cars are sometimes different, forgive me if what I say doesn’t make sense.

Charlie Stephens

37 Coupe
10-30-2010 @ 3:09 PM

Well mayby I am missing something or misunderstood. The picture I showed is a dash light dimmer switch from my 37 Ford. I assumed this is what original poster meant by picture he showed of dash with holes where cigar lighter and dash light dimmer switch. personally I never understood Fords whole concept on switch, dash lights are poor anyway, so a switch was engineered to completely turn them off?

trjford8
10-31-2010 @ 9:06 AM
Senior

It looks like your car is right hand drive, so the hole on the right with the notches is for the dash light switch. Those switches are difficult to find and can be expensive. In the hole for the cigar lighter I have used a late model replacement cigar lighter(you can buy these at most automotive stores). The socket will fit your dash and I just change the knob on the element. The 37 knob stops the element from being depressed into the socket, but it looks like the original.

fordson
11-02-2010 @ 2:09 PM

Gentlemen, youre right the car is a 37 DeLuxe and it is a right hand drive. I was under the assumption that the hole on the left of my picture is for the cigar lighter and the one with the notches is for a so-called headlight switch. Maybe iam mistaken and it is the instrument panel light control that goes there? I was not aware that you would control the headlights via the steering column assembly-except for the headlight dimmer switch that sits on the floor to be activated by foot! The Ford 37 Book has not arrived yet and iam also waiting on the original owners manual. I have got a gut feeling its a Pull Out Light switch that belonged there.

37 Coupe: thanx a million for the j-peg, i have tears in my eyes staring at it. I have been trying e-bay for weeks, will just have to hang in there.
Thanx eyerybody for the advice and support,
Regards Randolf

CharlieStephens
11-02-2010 @ 3:25 PM
Senior

I am going out on a limb on this one but I think you will find the headlight switch on the steering column is also a dimmer and the switch you have on the floor is an add-on (I can't find my owner's manual). Now that you mentioned your car is RHD I wouldn't be surprised to find some of the controls swapped to make them easier for the driver to reach.

Charlie Stephens.

This message was edited by CharlieStephens on 11-2-10 @ 3:51 PM

trjford8
11-03-2010 @ 7:58 AM
Senior

Charlie, in 37 they did in fact have a dimmer switch. The switch on the bottom of the column only controlled the parking lights and the off-on for the headlights.

CharlieStephens
11-03-2010 @ 11:34 AM
Senior

trjford8,

When I check both the wiring diagrams and wiring schematics at http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/flathead_drawings_electrical.htm I can find the foot dimmer switch for 1938 but not 1937. I looked again and was unable to find anything in “The 1937 Ford Book” from the club. The wiring diagram in the club’s book (page A-11) doesn’t show a dimmer switch. The Green Bible shows 81A 13532 fits 38-40 but nothing earlier. Sacramento Ford Parts, MACS and C&G don’t list a dimmer switch for 1937. I double checked what I believe to be 5 original floorboards (only because they came with my car). Two of them have a hole below and between the brake and clutch pedals that may have been for a dimmer switch. Is this where you think the switch should be mounted? These two boards may be from a different year or the holes may have been added. I have an owner’s manual coming in the mail. Was this a late in the year change or possibly unique to the RHD or export models such as we are discussing in this thread? Where in the literature do you find reference to this switch?

Charlie Stephens

This message was edited by CharlieStephens on 11-3-10 @ 11:35 AM

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2 3

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org