LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / Engine overhaul/rebuild

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Engine overhaul/rebuild -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

EWATERS
08-06-2010 @ 1:15 PM

Can anyone provide an estimate regarding a reasonable time to complete an engine overhaul? My 1950 Ford had a 6-cyl engine which hadn't run since ca 1967. upon removal by a local garage it was found to have a frozen piston which had to be pressed out. The engine block was sent to a machine shop for cylinder boring and a sleeve for the cylinder with a damaged wall surface. The car has been at the garage for 6 months and the engine was sent for machining approximately 2 months ago. Each time I check I am told another week maybe 2; this has been going on for the last several months. My question is, am i being impatient? How long is a reasonble time to accomplish such a task? I am beginning to think I am being strung-along for motives I am unable to understand. Any words of wisdom for my options at this point; I don't want to wait for months and/or years only to find out my time was being wasted. Do I need to try to reposess my car and a collection of misc. parts to find someone else to get the engine reassembled and reinstalled. I wouild like to drive the vihicle before I fet too old to know what is happening. Thank for taking the time to read my tale of woe; any encouragerment will be appreciated.

lightflyer1
08-06-2010 @ 2:09 PM

It is relative. If the work is unique in some way or parts are hard to come by and such it could take a long time. You really need to have a talk with the garage and machine shop. If you can't get answers from them that satisfy you, get it all back. My buddys flathead was done in a few weeks plus one for shipping. No way it should take 6 months unless there is something else going on or can't find a part.

EWATERS
08-06-2010 @ 3:55 PM

Thanks. All the necessary parts are available except the cylinder sleeve. I don't think it should take so long to obtain or machine a sleeve to the needed specifications.

51f1
08-07-2010 @ 6:32 AM
Senior

A month would be a long time to rebuild an engine.

Richard

EWATERS
08-07-2010 @ 10:53 AM

I agree, hence my posting. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

supereal
08-07-2010 @ 11:04 AM
Senior

As the operator of a large machine shop, I can tell you that there is no "standard" time to get the job done. We operate with a backlog of several months, depending upon the season, and old car work is not a priority. We don't know what the job will entail until the engine is out and completely disassembled and inspected. Then, the owner will be given an estimate of what will be required and an approximate cost. We usually suggest that the owner then secure the necessary parts if we are to proceed, and have them delivered to us to reduce delays. Only then can the job be scheduled with some assurance of a delivery date. Old car work can, and usually does, require a great deal of machine work such as boring/sleeving, crank grinding, valve seat replacement, etc. If anyone gives you a hard and fast completion time before doing the above, it is likely they haven't done much, if any, of this type of work.

This message was edited by supereal on 8-7-10 @ 12:40 PM

EWATERS
08-07-2010 @ 1:55 PM

Supereal, thanks for your input; I was hoping to hear from someone with machine-shop experience and insight. The engine has been disassembled and only the parts needing attention were forwarded by the garage mechanic. I would think, in the interests of good customer-relations, that a completion target date could be provided to give me some light at the end of this seemingly endless tunnel of uncertainty. Having no previous experience to guide me I can only rely on the integrity of the mechanical service provider; a potentially tenuous position to be in. Alas, this too shall pass and I shall someday drive this restored Ford.

supereal
08-08-2010 @ 10:42 AM
Senior

Keep at it, as driving your old car will make it all worth while. Experience with these old engines is fading away along with us old timers, now that almost 60 years has passed since the last flatheads were made, and nearly 80 years since the first ones. Anyone seeking major engine work should consult their member roster, if they are Club members, and contact those in your area for recommendations of reliable shops. One of the reasons it is difficult to provide a completion target date is that finding parts of good quality can be time consuming, often taking months. Anyone laying out the amount of money required to produce a first class rebuild has the right to expect a reliable, lasting outcome. Redoing a failed job can erase all, and possibly more, than the income generated in the first place. We see our share of botched repairs, many to just get the car running so it can be sold. We sometimes do our best service by recommending to a prospective customer that their engine doesn't warrant rebuilding due to excess wear or other defects.

TomO
08-09-2010 @ 8:18 AM
Senior

Most automotive machine shops that do antique engine work also do work for garages and and parts houses. They will put their steady customers ahead of your once in a lifetime job. If the machine shop is reliable and has a lot of experience with the older engines, be patient. If you get impatient, they may just give your work to an apprentice.

Tom

supereal
08-09-2010 @ 12:10 PM
Senior

Right, Tom. Frequent customers usually get preference because they help pay the bills. Many shops won't touch antiques because they have no reference material, and flat rate books are long gone for old vehicles, so it is difficult to estimate the actual amount of time required for any specific job. This isn't to downgrade the importance of old cars. Machine work must be precise, and simply setting up equipment such as boring bars, hones, and crank grinders, balancers and polishers soaks up lots of time, and as said, "time is money". Anyone seeking a rebuild needs to have a "heart to heart" talk with the shop to understand how the process works, and how they can minimize the cost by stripping the block and running down necessary parts.

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org