LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / non-detergent motor oil

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: non-detergent motor oil

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

MICHV8
09-27-2022 @ 12:27 PM

I've been running non-detergent oil in my rarely driven 39 for about 12 years now and have no idea what was in it when I bought the car. It had been sitting since the late 50s. I'm contemplating an oil change and worried that detergent oil will loosen sludge and cause grief.
Finding non-detergent motor oil is not easy...thoughts?
Thanks.

ford38v8
09-27-2022 @ 1:31 PM
Senior

Detergent oil may soften surface sludge over time, but is unlikely to dislodge chunks of sludge, which would be a concern.
Detergent oil also suspends impurities for removal by a filter, while non detergent settles out impurities which then becomes sludge. The stock Ford bypass filter is very efficient at removing suspended impurities, which should be a factor in your decision.

Alan

carcrazy
09-27-2022 @ 2:51 PM
Senior

If your engine currently has a partial flow oil filter, you can safely go to a modern detergent motor oil. As previously noted, the oil filter will capture any particles that are set loose by the detergent oil.
If your engine does not have a filter, I would go to a detergent oil and change it after 500 miles or 3 months to remove any particles that have gotten into the oil.
Modern oils do not have the required amounts of zinc and phosphorous (ZDDP) required to minimize wear of the cam lobes and lifter interface surfaces. Many modern oils are of low viscosity which may cause your engine to leak and burn more oil.
My recommendation is to use an SAE 30 weight detergent oil with an additive which contains the missing ZDDP ingredients.

37RAGTOPMAN
09-27-2022 @ 3:08 PM
Senior

I would install the high detergent oil and drive the car,
for a few miles and then check the color of the oil. see if it gets dirty quick.
you can also change the oil a few times and check it or till the oil stays cleaner
you can check TRACTOR SUPPLY for a non detergent oil for older tractors,
hope this helps 37Ragtopman

BRL
09-28-2022 @ 9:08 AM

Hi:
I think the best oil for the old stock flathead is Lucas Hot Rod & Classic SAE 10W-40 motor oil. It has the zinc additive and is the right viscosity. It is expensive but worth it. Just follow the changing/observation that 37 Ragtopman suggests and re-use the oil by filtering it. You can filter by a method such as: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-3B2Jpt29o

If you dont drive the car often, I dont think the modern detergent oils will aggressively break down any coking you may be worried about....they will just sit in the pan and possibly thin out the sludge you have in the pan. During the investigation period, a frequent oil change with inspection of what comes out on a filter paper will give you an idea of what kind of cr*p you have in the engine and how the new oil is interacting with it. You may also run a magnet across the oil pan after most of the oil is out to see if any significant metal particles come out. Changing the oil when engine is hot will also help move more sludge in the pan out.
Regards,
BRL

wmsteed
09-28-2022 @ 9:44 AM
Senior

I am a firm believer in detergent oil in ALL Engines, except for stationary and/or garden type equipment.
i used Union Oil Royal Triton, "Grape Juice", in my 36 w/59AB engine for twenty years until Union Oil quite making the RT. I switched to Castorl GTX 20/50 in all of my engines until recently.
The reduction and/or elimination of zink, etc., from engine oil has prompted me to switch to Valoline Blue 10/40 or Sh*ll Rotella, both of which are high detergent diesel engine oils.
I just switched my '53 Olds Rocket 88 to Lucus Hot Rod/Classic Car oil.. The Olds Rocket 88 engines that came out in 1949 had hydraulic lifters, GM insisted that high detergent oil be used in their engines starting in 1949.
The myth about detergent oils being harmful to vintage engines is just that, a untrue myth. I worked in the automotive industry when I was a teenager, I saw first hand the damage that sludge did to engines, on many occasion I experienced drain oil burning the skin on my arm as the oil ran out of the pan plug hole. On many occasions we had to stick a large screw driver into the pan drain hole to get the thick smelly goo to come out of the pan..

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

supereal
10-01-2022 @ 8:53 AM
Senior

I have used 20W-50 oil for years. If you drive in very cold weather, a lighter grade would be a better choice. Oil chemistry is always improving quality. Non detergent oil is becoming very difficult for a reason. It is not suitable for most, if any, applications. I can well remember dropping the oil pan"clean out" plate in our old Ford tractor to scr*pe out the accumulation of sludge.

1931 Flamingo
10-02-2022 @ 7:35 AM

I've been able to find non-detergent 30W at Walmart or check your local NAPA, Auto-Zone, Tractor Supply, etc. If they don't have it they can get it.
Paul in CT

wmsteed
10-02-2022 @ 9:10 AM
Senior

For many years we had a local Regional Group, #84 here in Ventura that I was Secretary/Treasure of for several years. I had a large building and parking lot at my business, therefore I was able to host the EFV8 monthly meetings at my facility without having to deal with the hassle of insurance, etc.
Since I was the secretary of the club one of my duties was to come up with programs, etc., make the meetings interesting.
One of the best programs we ever had was put on by an engineer that worked for Sh*ll Oil. The engineer started out with the explanation that over 50% of the cooling for an engine was provided by the oil within the engine, running across the hot metal, into the pan where the heat could be dissipated.
One of the demonstrations the engineer used was a common electric hot plate that he set at a temp equal to the average operating temp of an engine.
Starting with the lowest grade of engine oil, he would drop some onto the hot plate. The low quality non detergent oil would go up in smoke, as the engineer progressed through the higher grade oils, most would run from the hot center of the plate, towards the cooler outer edges.
When the high grade modern detergent oil was dropped onto the hot center of the plate, the oil did not go up in smoke, nor did it run to the outer rim of the hot plate, it just sat on the center of the hot plate
A pretty impressive demonstration as to what kind of oil should be used in an engine.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

ford38v8
10-02-2022 @ 9:35 AM
Senior

Bill, I like that demonstration a lot. It shows a couple of functions of modern oil, and should satisfy a few non-believers.

Alan

<< previous || next >> 

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org