LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / '37 model 78 Radiator R&R

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: '37 model 78 Radiator R&R -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

ibshane
07-12-2022 @ 11:29 PM

I am about to have the Distributor & lower radiator hoses replaced on my bone stock '37 Ford Model 78 V8-85. The guy that is going to be doing the work tells me he'll have to remove the entire grill assembly to get the radiator to do the work effectively. ----- Ok.., I get taking out the radiator for better access to the distributor..., I can see having to remove the Generator. But from what I can tell, there should be no need to remove the grill to get the Radiator out??--------Am I missing something here??

marko39
07-13-2022 @ 10:08 AM

I doubt ford would have built a car that way. Maybe he wants to work on distributor without taking it out. Just take grill and radiator out and he could crawl right in there.

MG
07-13-2022 @ 10:40 AM
Senior

I've replaced the distributor, the lower hoses, the water pumps and the motor mounts all without having to remove the grille and radiator on the '37 I once had...

TomO
07-13-2022 @ 11:08 AM
Senior

Find another mechanic that is busy enough to NOT want make extra work. You can remove and replace the distributor without removing the radiator and the same goes for the lower hoses. I am sure that it has been done more than a million times since 1936 without removing the radiator or grill.

Neither one is a fun job on a 37 85HP, but the combined time for both of them, is less than the time to remove the grill and radiator.

Tom

ford38v8
07-13-2022 @ 1:23 PM
Senior

Do not go with that mechanic for anything on your ‘37 Ford. He either doesn’t know what he’s doing or he’s disrespecting you in telling you that stuff, probably both.
Distributor removal from below Is no big deal. Lower radiator hoses are best replaced along with front motor mounts, which makes the job easier and probably also need replacing anyway.

Alan

37RAGTOPMAN
07-13-2022 @ 1:32 PM
Senior

NO NEED TO REMOVE THE GRILL !!!!!
you need to remove the GENERATOR and fan.
disconnect the bottom hoses , remove bottom bolts,
remove the radiatorsupport rods,
remove to top hoses
remove the top bolts holding the radiafor in
tilt the radiastor back , have the hood opened and supported
lift the radiator out, TILT BACK, use cardboard to shield the fins so no damage happens, you should have strong help
when the raqdiator is out replace the distributer,
can be done also with out removing the grill, I just did this last month to my 37 Cab. its tricky TAKE YOUR TIME,
if you are just doing the distributer,
remove the ignition wire conduits,
remove the vacuum line to intake
remove primiary wire going to coil
remove the bolts holding the distributer in
when replace the distribute MAKE SURE you LINE UP THE GROVE in the CAM to the distributer drive
it should click into place and distributer should be flush with timing cover, when you rotate the rotor
hope this helps, 37Ragtopman
PS while your are doing this check your motor mounts, at this time,

ibshane
07-13-2022 @ 2:16 PM

Thanks Guys!

The Mechanic says he had to remove the grill to do the Dist. on his buddy's '36 and he figured this would be the same??

37RAGTOPMAN
07-14-2022 @ 6:33 AM
Senior

no way he had to remove the grill on a 36, to replace the distributor,
maybe if he was replacing the CAMSHAFT, NOT JUST THE DISTRIBUTER
I think he is looking to make some more MONEY,
My 2 cents 37 Ragtopman, Maine

ibshane
07-15-2022 @ 2:41 AM

I think I may have worded it wrong?

I had asked him if he would have to remove the radiator to replace the distributor and lower radiator hoses on my '37..., and he replied:

"I sure hope not.., I had to take the entire grill assembly off of my buddies '36 in order to get the radiator out, so I imagine it would be the same with a '37!"

ford38v8
07-15-2022 @ 9:47 AM
Senior

Don’t take the radiator out. But if he insists on doing it his way, tell him any damage to the radiator from taking it out is on him. The radiator is vulnerable from the fan, and needs to be protected with corrugated cardboard before attempting removal.
I still say that’s the wrong way to go about it.

Alan

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org