LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / Fuel Pump issue with 36 Ford V* 85 HP.

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Fuel Pump issue with 36 Ford V* 85 HP. -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

Chip
03-27-2020 @ 5:36 AM

Has anybody figured out how to prime a fuel pump without a proper electric pump after the car has been sitting a week or more.

I Installed an "ES8902 AIRTEX" electric pump and it worked great for 6 years. Cannot find replacement, not made anymore.
New Part with same stock number does not work the same as the old one.

Any suggestions?

Checked Carter Pumps and they do not have it or could not recommend anyone.

51woodie
03-27-2020 @ 6:11 AM
Senior

Chip. I'm not sure which "new one" you refer to, but Summit has E8902 pumps available as per the link below. This is the pump I use for "priming" my stock '46 Super Deluxe and it works for me. Note: for some reason the picture of the pump mounted on the frame rail downloaded upside down. The filter is actually on the tank end of the pump.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/atx-e8902

TomO
03-27-2020 @ 7:59 AM
Senior

If you use a one piece steel line from the tank to the flex line, a good flex line and properly installed ferrules, the original type pump should self prime in about 30 seconds of starter cranking. The sediment bowl should have some fuel left in it, even after a month long storage and if your carburetor is not leaking, it should also have enough fuel to start the engine with minimal cranking. Don't be afraid to use the choke, it will help prime the system and give a rich mixture to start a cold engine.

Add a fuel stabilizer to your fuel every time you fill up. Stabil recommends that you use 2 oz for every 5 gallons. Other brands have their recommendations on the label. This helps to keep the fuel fresh and makes your car start faster.

IMHO electric fuel pumps and added filters cause as many problems as they cure. Every additional connection is a potential source for a vacuum leak. A clean tank and the fuel pump screen should keep the fuel clean enough for a carburetor.

Tom

37RAGTOPMAN
03-28-2020 @ 7:28 AM
Senior

I had the same problem for years, had my 37 CABRIOLET since 1975
this is
what I have found most of the time it is a flex hose connections, that are not sealing properly
this is on the in side of the pump and has no pressure.
its funny that gas does not leak out, from here, but over time the air leaks in,
from the firewall to the fuel pump,
OLD PARTS CELLAR in MASS ,

Sells little tapered copper washers that cure the no starting after sitting,
Make a tight leak free connection

replacing with a new modern fuel flex line also would be a good idea at that time,
what is happening the gas drains back to the tank, , cause air in the line,
BELIEVE it or NOT, [ if you have a full tank this might not happen,]

remember turning the engine over also pumps oil preventing dry starts, !!!

I see no need to install a electric fuel pump that will cause more problems

I am with KEN in CONN, on this, get a good rebuilt pump from him, with modern parts for modern fuels

what would happen if float and needle and seat sticks. causing flooding and MAYBE a FIRE !
if you had a electric fuel pump installed,
heads up, modern cars with electric fuel pumps, have relays that when in a ACCIDENT turn the PUMP OFF,,!!!

hope this helps 1937Ragtopman

This message was edited by 37RAGTOPMAN on 3-28-20 @ 1:50 PM

carcrazy
03-28-2020 @ 12:00 PM
Senior

If the car has been setting for two weeks or more there will be no fuel in the carburetor. During that time the fuel has evaporated away. If you don't have an auxiliary electric fuel pump to prime the fuel line and carburetor, you can use starting fluid to get the engine running. Before using the fluid, crank the engine for 10 seconds or so with the choke fully closed to allow engine cranking vacuum to help pull fuel into the carburetor and allow the oil pump to circulate oil throughout the engine to avoid a dry start. Let the starter rest for awhile and attempt to start the engine again. If it still won't start, spray some starting fluid into the air intake for three seconds. Crank the engine again and it should start.

juergen
03-29-2020 @ 8:04 AM

I got a 41 Ford from my uncle in New York around 1960. It had a hard time starting especially in the winter when it was cold and the battery draining fast. I asked him how he started it all the time. He told me to look for the 3/8 hole he drilled into the top of the air cleaner. He always had an oil can filled with gas in the car. He said to crank it a few times, then open the hood and squirt some gas into the hole. Started every time. So even in the good old days it was good to prime the engine before starting. It doesn't take much with an electric pump and shut it off after the clicking slows.

transbytip
03-30-2020 @ 8:57 PM

May sound crude but it works for me on my 36 take gas cap off wipe good then put your mouth over pipe&blow like crazy it will fill things to start let pressure off easy or you could get wet Cliff.

with reguards Cliff. Tipton

51woodie
03-31-2020 @ 6:27 AM
Senior

I started my '46 yesterday, for the first time since last October. Stock 59A with 6V + ground, 15-40 Rotella oil, and the temperature in the garage was 34 Deg. F. Turned on the ignition, 15 seconds on the electric pump then off, choke out, two shots on the gas pedal, hit the start button and fire up after a very few turns. I was surprised at how easy it started with the cold temperature, as I usually wait for warmer weather to start up. Being cooped up with this virus thing, I thought I'd go out to the garage (no heat) and tinker with the Coupe. Too cold to play with tools, ergo the start up. Can't wait to get it on the road for another season.

kubes40
03-31-2020 @ 8:40 AM
Senior

I started my '36 roadster up just last Sunday. First time since late December. Pulled the choke, applied a few pumps (maybe six or seven) of the gas pedal, and hit the floor switch... after about 15 seconds, it started up. Smoothed out within another 10 seconds or so.
Amazingly enough, all with unleaded gas in the tank, no electric fuel pump and 6v.
Proof that a properly restored and maintained vehicle will start and run just fine without any unnecessary modifications.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

This message was edited by kubes40 on 3-31-20 @ 8:41 AM

JayChicago
03-31-2020 @ 9:51 AM

Me too. My car starts after winter hibernation every time. I crank the starter for a 5 second interval, then let the starter cool a minute. Fires on the third cranking. So far, never experienced vapor lock, although I don't drive it in extreme heat. No need to alter the originality of the car with an electric pump.

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org