LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / hot start; wouldn't stop

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: hot start; wouldn't stop -- page: 1 2 3

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

EdB
02-19-2018 @ 7:57 AM

Installed Super's recommended starting enhancement; ran 10 guage wire, with a diode inserted, from the starter side of the solenoid to the positive wire on the coil. Fastest start ever, but when I moved the ignition switch to Stop, the engine kept running. Stopped it by pulling the lead from the coil to the distributor.

Where did I go wrong this time?

Thank you,
EdB

cliftford
02-19-2018 @ 12:01 PM
Senior

Unhook the circuit you added at the coil, put a volt meter on it and see if you are getting current through it to ground, with the engine running. If so, it sounds like a defective solenoid. There should be no current at the solenoid starter post [the one that goes to the starter] except when the engine is cranking. Also check the ignition switch and make sure it is shutting off every time.

This message was edited by cliftford on 2-19-18 @ 12:39 PM

Drbrown
02-19-2018 @ 6:50 PM
Senior

Depending how your system's wired (or mis-wired) your generator or alternator could be feeding your coil directly (by passing the ignition switch). This problem is more common with alternators because they put-out more at lower rpms as long as the engine is rotating. Because of this possibility I installed a 4-terminal Master/Kill Switch .... two for battery and two for the Alternator.

Key is to check your wiring and as said, your solenoid and ignition switch.

cliftford
02-19-2018 @ 8:06 PM
Senior

After re-reading your post something just hit me. Assuming you still have a 6v positive ground system, it sounds like you may have the coil wired backwards. It wouldn't cause the problem you describe, but the coil would put out a weaker spark.

TomO
02-20-2018 @ 7:22 AM
Senior

It would help if you gave more details about the car. Year? 6 or 12V?

What direction is the arrow on the diode pointing?

Tom

supereal
02-20-2018 @ 2:01 PM
Senior

Here is my original instructionsM

This message was edited by supereal on 2-20-18 @ 2:06 PM

supereal
02-20-2018 @ 2:08 PM
Senior

Apparently my scanner is playing games. I'll try again.

MG
02-20-2018 @ 2:15 PM
Senior

supereal - Thanks for posting that again....

supereal
02-20-2018 @ 2:23 PM
Senior

Finally found the original page. Follow the instructions carefully and it should do as mentioned. If you connect the circuit to the battery side of the solenoid, instead of the starter side, it will override the ignition switch, the engine will not stop as mentioned in the post. A word of caution: Pushing the starter button without the switch will run the engine as long as the button is pushed. This is important if you are "bumping" the starter button to turn the engine while you are under the hood. Disconnect the circuit at one end or the other if you are working on the engine. I devised this "quick start" more years ago than I want to remember. The purpose is to bypass the resistor to compensate for the voltage drop due to the starter and provide full voltage to the coil. then automatically return the system to stock when the engine starts. For cars in the 50's and 60's this type of circuit was built into the system It really helps starting hot or cold.

EdB
02-20-2018 @ 5:21 PM

The car is a 41. much of the wiring is original. 6 volt positive ground. Has a pancake distributor and round coil; both the coil and the condenser are new from NAPA.

The diode is installed so that the end with the band is closest to the coil. Used 10 gauge stranded wire. Diode was soldered in place. Connections were covered with shrink wrap. After the wire was connected to the starter side of the solenoid, the coil end touched some metal and a small spark resulted, so I assume that the diode is correctly placed.

Thanks for considering this. Good driving weather is approaching.

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2 3

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org