LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / Light Commercial Truck Discussion / Snow Plow

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Snow Plow

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

waynearnyF3
02-09-2010 @ 10:46 AM

I've got a '51 F3, and I need a snow plow for it. There has to have been some manufacturer that build one that would fit it! Does anyone out there know who that company might be, and/or where I might find one?

Thanks in advance.

Wayne Arny
Galesville, MD

supereal
02-09-2010 @ 11:40 AM
Senior

There are lots of snowplow manufacturers out there, such as Western, but the trick is to locate a mount for such an old truck. If you can find a blade and lifter, it is likely that a mount will have to be fabricated for it. We just adapted a Western plow for an '82 pickup that was built from scratch. It had power angling, which is important. The new style plows have very different mounts now than those of just a few years ago. The best source is a dealer, as many old plows are being replaced. If the reports are correct, I suspect you need a bulldozer to mover your snow!

trjford8
02-09-2010 @ 3:52 PM
Senior

In addition to Bob's advice you might call RPM Motorsports in Albert Lea, Minn. 1-888-223-1864. These guys have a big salvage yard with a lot of late 40's and 50's parts and most of it Ford. Since they are in snow country they might have old snow plow parts or know of a source.

waynearnyF3
02-11-2010 @ 8:14 PM

Thanks for the info! And you're right, I'll probably need a bulldozer! Fortunately, we were out in Steamboat Springs with our son and his wife, so we're stuck where we can take advantage of the snow!

waynearnyF3
02-11-2010 @ 8:15 PM

I'll do it. Great suggestion. Thanks for the help. I need to prepare for next winter!

37RAGTOPMAN
02-28-2010 @ 1:06 PM
Senior

did you try any tractor dealers ?
they do make plows for many tractors,and can be adapted for many applications,
and any good welding shop can made the attachment for your truck for modern plows,
it is mostly flat steel plates,
does your truck have a PTO to run the hyd pump,
this will save you from making brackets for the engine,
old JEEPS [ 50-60's ] had a hydraulic pumps that could be adapted to just about anything,I think they were called MONARK ,
hope this helps 37RAGTOPMAN

Stroker
02-28-2010 @ 3:16 PM
Senior

Both Meyer's and Western also make plows that have electric-driven pumps.

supereal
03-01-2010 @ 7:33 AM
Senior

The Western pumps combine a starter-type motor with a cable operated valving system to control both lift and angling. PTO systems are mostly for the large highway plows, and require lots of plumbing. If you buy a junkyard pump unit, be sure it hasn't been damaged by freezing. They have a tendency to leak around the cable connections, allowing water to enter the reservoir. Otherwise, they tend to be "bulletproof".

37RAGTOPMAN
03-02-2010 @ 3:11 PM
Senior

if you want it to work and count on it, use a hydraulic pump driven off the engine,
the electrical are expensive to repair,and are 12 volts, not unless you run the truck on 12 volt already,otherwise you will have to convert.
I used both, and went from MEYERS elect [ lots of problems and costly ] to my simple MONARH PUMP, 20 years ago, and it still working,just last year I installed a new lift pump,
old FORD and DODGES in the late 1960 and 1970 and early 1980's had hydraulic pumps, with power angle,
you might be able to find one, try E-BAY,these also benifit that you do not draw power from the battery, and the headlight stay bright also,
HOPE thishelps,37RAGTOPMAN
I knew a guy that had a 1950 FORD big truck with a snowblower , driven by a 6 cylinder engine mounted on the back of the flatbead,the truck had 50 miles on it and it was stored outside, going to pot
this was 20 years ago,

supereal
03-05-2010 @ 8:50 AM
Senior

My '82 Chevy pickup plows snow every year with a Western blade, and the only repair since new was a cable replacement due to my failure to repair the cover gasket on the lift unit, allowing rust to ruin the pivot. The control triggers a starter solenoid with simple contacts, and the valves in the unit do the rest. There was never an electrical problem, day or night, as long as the battery was in good condition. I'd be concerned using a plow on any truck old enough to use a six volt system. If I was going to do that, I'd install a 12 volt alternator and two six volt Optima batteries inh series. Then, the truck can be run from a tap between the two batteries, while the series arrangement feeds the plow unit. We did this on several old trucks over the years, as most owners run these plow trucks until they actually fall apart from the salt and slush common to the application.

<< previous || next >> 

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org