LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / Light Commercial Truck Discussion / 47 1-ton dual master cylinder conversion

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: 47 1-ton dual master cylinder conversion

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

chiefe9
08-25-2010 @ 2:22 PM

I'd like to convert from a single to dual port master cylinder and booster on my 47 1-ton truck that still has the original complete brake setup. Naturally, I'd like to have power brakes but will settle on attaching a dual master cylinder only if that's my only option. Bob Drake sells a conversion adapter (item EC-415)that supposedly attaches to the 3-bolt original attachment allowing use of a Mustang or Corvette dual master cylinder. Anyone know if this works on a 1-ton? Any other recommendations and or solutions will be greatly appreciated! Hopefully, one of you has already done this. Ha! (picture shows current master cylinder bolt pattern)

49fordv8f4
08-25-2010 @ 7:01 PM

I was interested in making the same change on my 49 F4 (1 Ton) truck. It uses the same master cylinder as your Tonner. My front brakes are the same as your rear brakes also. The rear brakes on my truck use an even larger wheel cylinder than yours. I said all that to tell you this, the problem with adapting a dual master cylinder to our larger trucks is the master cylinder volume. The kits you find are for a 1/2 ton truck which uses smaller wheel cylinders than our trucks therefore require a smaller volume of fluid to operate. You would probably have less trouble finding a master cylinder than I would as your wheel cylinders are smaller than mine but it would not be a bolt on replacement. A master cylinder from a late 70's or newer Ford F350 might work for you but it would take some modification to the truck to make it work. I went to my local parts house to find one for my truck. The only thing I could find that I could adapt was for middle 80's or later F600-F750 with hydraulic brakes but a rebuilt cylinder was going to cost $300.00+ so I rebuilt the original one.
Sorry for the rambleing but I don't think a bolt on replacement master cylinder is available for anything larger than a 1/2 ton. The bolt pattern is also larger on our master cylinders than a 1/2 ton-passenger car master cylinder.
You can add a Bendix Hydrovac or a Midland Diaphram booster to your truck for power brakes. They were optional on the larger trucks and would work well on your truck. I'm adding one to my truck. I hope this helps.
Mark Poley

supereal
08-26-2010 @ 10:15 AM
Senior

Mark is correct about master cylinder volume. Converting a single master to a dual involves replumbing the system to include a proportioning valve. There are boosters available from vendors such as Chassis Engineering (www.chassisengineeringinc.com), and I suspect Dave Wilton has some ideas as well (www.MTcarproducts,com). Most light truck owners are looking for the safety of dual systems, rather than brake power, and simply adding a booster won't do that. Brake systems have to be carefully engineered, and "homebrewing" can cause more problems than it solves.

alanwoodieman
08-27-2010 @ 10:43 AM
Senior

I have a 41 3/4 ton and installed a dual master cylinder from a Ford pick-up, 1968 which was first year to have dual master cylinder and also drums brakes front and rear. a 3 hole to 2 hole adapter was used. 68 master cylinder had 2 slotted holes which had to be trimmed to fit the brake pedal bracket. So far seems to work pretty good. Rebuilt master cylinder was around $35 plus cost of no core to return.

chiefe9
08-29-2010 @ 3:52 PM

Thanks everyone for replies. Good "food for thought". I'm still researching. Hope to go to the "Shades of the Past" show in Pigeon Forge week after next. Maybe someone will have made the change.

alanwoodieman
08-29-2010 @ 5:57 PM
Senior

some ford products, 55-57 t birds for one used a remote mount vacuum booster that is avaiable repro and can be mounted in just about any location, inside the frame rail would be a good choice, but if you go to a dual master cylinder you definitly need to use a proportioning valve or you would definitly lock up the power assisted shoes

TomO
08-30-2010 @ 8:49 AM
Senior

My understanding of the brake system is that if you have drum brakes at all 4 corners and you have a master cylinder for drum brakes, that a proportioning valve is not needed even with a dual master cylinder.

The proportioning valve was developed to eliminate the differences between drum rear brakes and disc front brakes. In a panic situation, the rear drum brakes would lock the wheels fast than the front disc brakes, making the vehicle hard to control.

With a dual master cylinder, you should also install a pressure differential switch to signal you when you lose pressure on one of the ports of the master cylinder.

Here is a link to an article that explains the purpose of the proportioning valve, pressure differential switch and the combination valve.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto-parts/brakes/brake-types/master-brake2.htm

Tom

supereal
08-31-2010 @ 7:06 AM
Senior

In theory, that is true, Tom. If the two parts of the master are balanced, no problem. If not, or half of the system loses pressure, a proportioning valve can lessen lockup and loss of control. At our shop, we see quite a few leaking brake systems because the heavy winter road salt causes line perforations. I'm not sure which is more dangerous: losing all or half the braking. We don't do brake conversions due to the liability factor. If I was going to modify my brakes, I'd opt for a disc/drum conversion. That would eliminate the usual drum brake fade in heavy traffic situations.

<< previous || next >> 

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org