LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / Light Commercial Truck Discussion / 6 volt generator in a 12 volt system

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: 6 volt generator in a 12 volt system

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

52 Ford
09-14-2020 @ 12:16 PM

I plan on using my rebuilt 6 volt generator in a 12 volt system on my 52 Ford F1.
I know i need to change over to a 12 volt regulator and coil, but do I need to change over the starter solenoid, horn relay and headlight switch as well?
And if so should I be looking at the parts store for something like 1960 F100 Solenoid,headlight switch, horn relay ,coil and regulator?

agriffey
10-26-2020 @ 11:06 PM

I have a ‘51 F1 that I converted to 12 volts because I often rent trailers and can’t be bothered with changing the trailer light bulbs.
I am using the 6 volt generator and am not happy with the charging rate..
I have a new regulator but it just does not put out enough voltage for driving around in heavy city traffic at night.
The light switch will be just fine, so will the starter relay (solenoid) for a while.
You may burn out the solenoid in a a year or two.
I’m thinking there is no horn relay.
Don’t forget the voltage resister for the instruments.

therunwaybehind
10-27-2020 @ 12:30 PM

For me this is one of those what if you could simply up voltage the output of the 6 volt generator which I assume you want to keep because of it's dimensions and mounting and the belt pulley sheave. The usual way to do this in a AC circuit would be to insert a transformer with the ratio of primary to secondary windings of 1:2. In 6: 12 out, the 6 volt wires are already oversize since they sized for a 6 volt system carry twice the amperes that the 12 out will carry. How could you get 6VDC to 6VAC? You need an inverter. These are quite common in solid state form today to go from 12VDC to 110VAC for marine or RV use. In your radio there is a simple vibrator and a diode tube and voltage regulator tube to provide power to 300VAC amplifier tubes. Hmmm! Solar cells are only about .5 volt DC output so at one time I tried to hook a bunch of them up in series , like about 28 of them and then hook up a solid state flip flop to make 14VAC as an alternator might make. As you can see I'm not much of a teacher. Not even an electrician but I can describe how to get from 1932 to 1978 in electrical terminology skipping the 12VAC alternator Chrysler put on their cars in 1960. Did the 1965 Mustang I rented have an alternator? I don't know. Fortunately it was much more reliable than ... but that gets us to permanent magnet 12VDC starters. Notice 12VAC Alternator and 12VDC starter. There must be some magic in there in between. Hmmm, the voltage regulator on the Chrysler product has solid state diodes on top as flat disks, not the big glass envelope tube diodes of the radios before. Note, I did not change the radio power supply from tubes to some sort of AC solid state form. In 1965, transistors were low power and the quality did not approach vacuum tube. It's 2020 now and I once had a 10 amp FET and did not need a Darlington to handle that kind of amperage or power. I mean 9 volts like a transistor radio times 10 amps is 90 watts! Imagine the boom box I could build! For a time 24 and even 40 volt power steering systems were being proposed for near term use on cars. No more leaky hydraulics. Infinite ratio beyond full time power steering. To be continued. Bear with me or grab what I pointed to on the shelf. I'm sure it's there now.

This message was edited by therunwaybehind on 10-27-20 @ 12:34 PM

<< previous || next >> 

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org