LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / Light Commercial Truck Discussion / electronic conversion for 46 dual point system

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: electronic conversion for 46 dual point system -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

whitecap
08-21-2017 @ 1:31 PM

This is a 6 V pos. grnd., 8 cylinder engine. Has any one here done this type of conversion? If so, whose product did you go with?

ken ct.
08-21-2017 @ 9:14 PM
Senior

Question is WHY. The ford pancake dist was desighned by Mallory himself and is very reliable. Electronic dist are very prone to heat failier and theres plenty of that under the hood of a flathead. Bad move. omo ken ct.

whitecap
08-22-2017 @ 5:51 AM

In my mind it would remove the need for the amount of disassembly to change and adjust points periodically. It seems that one set of points where is much quicker than the other. The one set of contactors shows excessive panting and must be filed smooth to be reset. Thanks for your info as I was unaware

ken ct.
08-22-2017 @ 6:04 AM
Senior

The rabbit eared dist and crab are the easiest to remove and replace to work on of all the ford dist. If pitting is that deep I would replace them not file them , and replace the cond. Use a NAPA # IH-200. Very reliable. ken ct.

ford38v8
08-22-2017 @ 10:36 AM
Senior

Whitecap, listen to Ken. You never had better advice in your life.

Alan

whitecap
08-22-2017 @ 11:19 AM

Will do fellas. Thank you for all your input. Will replace that one set and replace the cond. with NAPA #IH-200. Have you developed a way to remove the dist, without needing to remove fan assm. and both belts? That was the main reason I was investigating going electronic. Trying to avoid standing on the bumper and almost going upside down to get at it. This old body doesn't bend like it used to ( it doesn't unbend so good either).

len47merc
08-22-2017 @ 11:48 AM
Senior

The 'need' to routinely (EDIT - or 'excessively') remove your distributor to dress and reset or change your points should be completely eliminated by having your entire electrical system operating at peak performance. This includes having the distributor properly set-up on a Sun or Allen machine. I have colleagues here in NC that routinely and completely rework their distributors themselves and they are seeing 5,000 miles give or take out of their points. I have other colleagues, plus myself, who have theirs (ours) set-up on the correct equipment using QUALITY components. I have ~8,750 miles on mine and it still runs like the day I installed it. A colleague about 100 miles or so from here is leading the pack of all us in our modest group, and is the benchmark for our collective tests, with almost 19,000 miles on his '46, and it still starts immediately when he hits the button and shows not even the slightest hint of a miss when under load in 3rd gear, such as when loaded with 2-3 passengers and running at lower rpms in 3rd gear up hills or simply not shifting out of 3rd at 90 degree turns and pushing back up to speed.

The reason I say 'need' with apostrophes is that I do not believe there is a need to have to perform this so often as to be burdensome if one ensures the system is properly set-up and operating at peak efficiency. The points, if properly faced and are mating as close to perfectly flush as possible, should last much, much longer than the average joe believes. The only reason to remove the distributor routinely, IMHO, is to add a drop of oil to the bushings. When out of course you can examine the points and if it was properly set-up originally you will find little to no need to even draw a piece of emery paper through them, much less reset them or change them. Again IMHO, and per my experience to date with my '47, and per input and observation from and of local colleagues.

EDIT2 - The quality points in my distributor, now with ~8,750 miles and counting on them, were supplied to me by ken ct. They were installed in the distributor and the distributor was set up on an Allen machine by John Shelor in Va.

Steve

This message was edited by len47merc on 8-22-17 @ 12:03 PM

whitecap
08-23-2017 @ 10:43 AM

Well Sir: I certainly don't have access to one of the special machines you mentioned. Just trying to keep my grand fathers truck going with a feeler gage. I do put NAPA points and condensers in when I do need to change them. I surely do appreciate the input.

cliftford
08-23-2017 @ 11:30 AM
Senior

I agree with Steve. You cannot beat a stock ignition system in good condition in a stock engine. While desirable, it is not absolutely necessary to have it set up on a special machine. If the shaft is not badly worn. set the points to.016" and it should be very close and will run. My service manual shows how to do this by using a straight edge.

whitecap
08-23-2017 @ 1:21 PM

Cliff: That's exactly how I have always done it with good success. Vehicle runs very smooth. It's the changing part that I would like to make easier. That was my original thinking on the electronic ignition question. Electronic ignition was a significant upgrade in the distributor world. Higher resulting voltages to the plugs and zero maintenance. There would be no point bounce at higher RPM's as well. It would mean a different coil and wires I'm sure.

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org