LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / Light Commercial Truck Discussion / Which heads?

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Which heads?

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

vtwinsideways
07-20-2017 @ 1:57 PM

I have been trying to figure out which heads I need for a 1941 1/2 ton pickup with the optional Mercury engine. Unfortunately the engine came with one 59AB and one 41A head. I have gotten some conflicting reports. Can anyone point me to some solid research or standards? Thanks for your time. Luke

alanwoodieman
07-20-2017 @ 2:14 PM
Senior

my 41 1 1/2 ton with the 100 hp motor has 9T heads and this tag. my 41 3/4 ton also had the 99 tag but had A heads-go figure that one out

kubes40
07-22-2017 @ 7:49 AM
Senior

I have done extensive research in regard to factory installed Mercury engines in to Ford vehicles while working on my book. This program began unofficially in 1940 and as such only a very small number of 1940 Fords were built this way. In 1941 the "program" became official but was not promoted so while more vehicles were built this way, the number by percentage of total '41 Fords produced remained insignificant.

I find your post especially interesting in regard to "coming with the optional Mercury engine".
The Mercury engine had (stock) cast iron heads with a large (about 1" in height) "T" cast upon the face of each head. Cast on the "edge" of one head is 99T-6049, on the other, 99T-6050.

Mercury engine installation in to a Ford in 1941 required written permission from the Ford Motor Co. This permission was only considered after a letter was submitted from a limited number of official departments (Fire, Police, Sherriff) through a dealer.
The letter from the official department had to be on their letterhead and explain why this vehicle was desired and the (official) capacity in which it would be used. That letter would then be forwarded to Ford Motor CO. with a letter of request from the dealer.
NO consideration was given to an "ordinary" citizen. I have never seen any record of a truck being built this way and I have a LOT of records.
I suppose it's possible "one slid through the cracks" but without documentation I'd suggest your truck was never built that way in 1941.
If you have documentation, I would be eager to inspect it if possible.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

TomO
07-22-2017 @ 10:38 AM
Senior

Ford literature is very confusing in this area. I don't call the 3 3/16" bore engine the "Mercury engine" because it was used in other vehicles before Mercury was announced.

As near as I can tell, the 3 3/16" bore engine became available for buses in 1938. Some large trucks could have had this engine. In 1939 this engine became available for all trucks and commercial vehicles.

As far as I can tell commercial vehicles and trucks with the 3 3/16" bore engine could have had the 81A, 81T or the 99T heads. I cannot find any correlation with HP figures to determine if there was a real difference, but I believe the 99T and 81A heads were a lower compression ratio than the 81T. I do not have any documentation to support this, as Ford documentation in this area is very poor. My reasoning is the lower compression ratio creates less heat and that is very important in a slow moving truck.

I have never seen a 39 or 40 Mercury with an original engine have the 99T heads.

As for documentation on trucks having the 3 3/16" bore engine, some model numbers are:99C, 9D, 99T for 1939. There are similar model numbers for 1940 and 1941 in the Chassis Parts catalogs.

Tom

This message was edited by TomO on 7-22-17 @ 10:43 AM

vtwinsideways
07-22-2017 @ 11:09 AM

Thanks for your response Kube. If you're writing a book (or have written), then you're the guy I need to talk to. I have been having very little luck in researching the '40-'41 pickups. The only book I am aware of is Howard Town's Two Great Trucks and it is fairly limited but does refer to the optional engine. Vanpelts website also has a little bit of info on the 1941 models and refers to a commercial model 19C. The rest of my info is just hearsay from a few folks who have been doing this much longer than I and I have seen a pair of '41 trucks over the last few years with the Merc engines, one who's owner claimed it was stock. To start off with, I'm not certain what my wife's '41 came with. When her father bought it around 10 years ago, it had no drivetrain. He did a mild hot rod job on it that we are trying to undo. We started collecting parts to convert it back and I went on the hunt for a "raised deck" prewar flathead. A friend had one and we purchased it and began the grueling process of tearing down the seized engine. In researching I found that it is a 1941 or 1942 Mercury. It had the short cam, the pancake distributor and dual pulleys, so odds are it's a 1942 however it also has a rebuild tag and has been floating around in the world of no documentation for a long time, so who knows at this point. I have no illusions when it comes to the world of "all original". Frankly, I don't have the skills or the patience, but I do want the truck to be right. I realize that the most likely way for it to be "correct" involves letting go of the Merc and beginning the search for a Ford, however the limited knowledge I have on the subject pointed me in the direction of the Mercury being a plausabe option.

This message was edited by vtwinsideways on 7-22-17 @ 11:13 AM

vtwinsideways
07-22-2017 @ 11:32 AM

Thanks Tom. Then the block we have may not be Mercury after all. I based my judgement on the presence of the round center water passage. Perhaps if I change my terminology I will get more info. I was unaware that the availability of the 239 predated Mercury. Would it have been the block with the two trapazoidal lower water ports or the one with the round center water port?

This message was edited by vtwinsideways on 7-22-17 @ 11:36 AM

Stroker
07-22-2017 @ 1:41 PM
Senior

Kube: This discussion about "optional" engines is very interesting to me. My dad bought my 38 Ford Deluxe Station Wagon new.

My older brother remembered when the car was new. Some years ago, he stopped by when I was installing a rebuilt 59A in the car, and told me that the Stromberg 97 I had on it was "wrong", as dad had special-ordered the "truck engine" in this Station Wagon, and it came with a Chandler Groves.

Brother said that the engine that came in the car was a 90 hp, rather than an 85.

With all the options dad ordered, the car "went out the door" for $1300, and I still have the cancelled check to that effect. That's almost $500 more that a 38 deluxe wagon.

So, Mike was brother mistaken, or is it possible that a law enforcement officer could "special order" a 1938 Ford with a 90 hp engine?

This message was edited by Stroker on 7-30-17 @ 11:02 AM

<< previous || next >> 

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org