LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Mercury Discussion / $5 Helmet for $5 Head

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: $5 Helmet for $5 Head -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

len47merc
07-04-2016 @ 9:23 AM
Senior

Odd subject title I know - back in my 20's I purchased a motorcycle and with it I chose to also puchase a helmet (not a state requirement at the time), some of which were very pricey, and the salesman sized me up and artfully hit me with '...I'd buy a $5 helmet for a $5 head...'. This stuck with me to this day.

In that vein, I'll go ahead and re-open this brain dead safety related issue anyway to freshen the topic (searched and read the Forum back to 2010 on this). Topic: Safety Belts.

My '47's Rouge Award interior has no safety belts and in my mind I'm more than delinquent and neglect in not installing them. The thought of drilling holes in the floorboard flies against my grain. Drilling into the B pillar for a shoulder harness furthers the dilemma. The documentation on installation location and processes is all over the map as are the installation hardware kits, most of which look like they'd pull through the sheet metal floor with a 15 mph collision. Rear seat foot rest in the Merc also complicates the issue as at 6'+ I drive the car with the front seat fully to the rear and the bottom rear of the front seat just covers the top of the foot rest.

All this sounds like excuses to me as I type it. The steering wheel looks like a chest crusher without seat belts and a face reorganizer with seat belts and no shoulder harness, not to mention most importantly what the passenger dash would do to my wife. Appreciate any/all thoughts on whether to install them or reasons not to, include shoulder harness(es) or reasons not to, best sources and processes for the strongest and most effective anchoring hardware, etc.. I know the seat belt sources from researching previous threads but in looking at most of their hardware I am not convinced of how effective any of them are.

Getting ready for the 7 hour cruise to Gettysburg in August and this seat belt issue has been troubling the mind. Thanks in advance.

EDIT - and, btw - HAPPY JULY 4TH!
Steve

This message was edited by len47merc on 7-4-16 @ 9:50 AM

ford38v8
07-04-2016 @ 11:44 AM
Senior

Steve, My take on the seat belt issue will likely surprise many people. For me, driving my '38 Ford is a total experience. I drive it not for transportation alone, but for the feel of being in an earlier time. I wouldn't think of changing the tube type radio to solid state to receive FM, I don't have radial tires, nor do I have disc brakes. I use hand and arm signals, and am fully aware that most other drivers think I'm waving at someone. The real danger, I believe, would to be complacent after installing seat belts, thinking you are safe. If you want safety, drive a modern, not an antique.

Alan

len47merc
07-04-2016 @ 12:43 PM
Senior

Well stated Alan and exactly what has been '...troubling the mind...'. The '47 is so virgin and untouched throughout I've been more that reluctant to install seat belts much less shoulder harnesses or anything else not original and/or period correct. Similarly and for the same reasons I run bias plys, use hand signals, preserved the tube radio and also preserved the mechanical/electrical clock. I was looking for a kindred spirit but the Forum search thus far is yielding only 'gotta do this' representations and I continue to find myself pushing back against that thought process, while at the same time being internally challenged by the '$5 head' analogy.

Just went out with my 26-year old son to finalize supplies for the supercharger he is installing on his '94 Miata (crazy car but it's what he wants) in which he will be installing 5-point harnesses. I asked him his thoughts on the seat belt issue and his response was surprising. He basically questioned whether that would not '...alter the experience...' and whether it truly would make the car any safer than driving it like I do, when I do and where I do, or any safer than the car has been made with the preservation of the suspension, drive train, brakes and tires to as new condition.

It really comes down whether to do something for peace of mind while not know truly and statistically whether it makes any difference of significance from a safety perspective. Much more efficiently than I typically write you boiled it down very well for me Alan. Thank you.

Steve

nelsb01
07-04-2016 @ 12:56 PM
Senior

I like the topic title --- for I too was told that in 1972 when I purchased my first motorcycle.
I learned in driving the motorcycle that you are driving for FIVE people. The one in front of you, the one to the left of you, the one to the right of you, the one behind you, and of course, yourself.
Now, while Alan does bring the enjoyment of driving our old cars to the table, when I drive mine, I drive it like I did my motorcycle. You have too. The modern car people don't give a cr*p --they think ABS brakes and air bags are going to keep them safe.
And while Alan does mention that you could become complacent while driving an old vehicle with seat belts --- I think that just that little bit extra protection that seat belts give (and keep you from becoming a projectile) makes a difference in being hurt vs. being dead. While I am not a fan of pain, being alive with pain out ways the other.
So, I suggest you look for extra long belts and install them in your Rouge vehicle. I did in mine, and don't regret it for a minute.

len47merc
07-04-2016 @ 1:25 PM
Senior

Thanks - the 'projectile vs. injury' reference resonates. Should I choose to go the belt route what length qualifies as 'extra long' and/or is best for '46-'48?

Steve

nelsb01
07-04-2016 @ 2:07 PM
Senior

You have to do the math for the 'short' person. The belts need to fit you (seat back) and also someone with the seat up.
One more point to consider ---if YOU don't want to wear the seat belt --- MAYBE your passenger does.

carcrazy
07-04-2016 @ 8:58 PM
Senior

There are many options if you want to install seat belts. You can install lap belts which are available from many different vendors or you can install shoulder belts with lap belts which are available from Juliano's Hot Rod Parts. Retractable shoulder belts may be the safest and easiest to use.

cliftford
07-05-2016 @ 6:00 AM
Senior

Hi Steve, since you want to be safe on today's modern freeways and you want to keep your car original, why not trailer it to long distance events? Gene

TomO
07-05-2016 @ 6:57 AM
Senior

Seat belts do make you feel safer when driving a car and also help you maintain control over the car. You will not be slipping around on the seat as the car is forced out of its path. Your life and your passenger's life are much more important than preserving the originality of the interior. So my vote is to install seat belts and a 3rd brake light.

The 3rd brake light has become standard and younger drivers look for it. It is also brighter than the stop lights on an Early Ford V-8.

The best defense when driving is to keep lots of distance between you and the other cars on the road and to drive near the same speed as the traffic flow.

When you stop to make a turn, make sure that your wheels are pointing straight. That way, if you are hit from behind you will not be forced into oncoming traffic as the unfortunate Lincoln Zephyr owner did around here in June.

Tom

len47merc
07-05-2016 @ 8:06 AM
Senior

cliftford - Thanks, but I'd consider it blasphemous NOT to drive this '47. Driving it not only for the experience but for the satisfaction of both accomplishment and knowing it's capable. Were it a full-on restoration I'd definitely trailer it, but then I would have to drive the interstates and miss the planned rural 2-lane trip. Actually looking forward to seeing and experiencing the car make it the full round trip. To-date the max distance traveled was a day trip of ~350 miles to the Eastern Regional in Charlotte last year with only stops for fuel & supper with the wife. Looking forward to seeing the Merc accomplish the projected ~1,000+ Gettysburg miles (round trip, driving tour & local trips) - with nothing other than similar stops on 2-lanes the through the mountains the whole way may be the icing on the cake (avoiding I95 & DC completely). Gotta drive it. Gotta.

Thanks also Tom for your thoughts and recommendations. You make very good points. Still chewing on the seat belts. Appreciate best source (from any/all) recommendations for the 3rd brake light - had forgotten about that and glad Tom reminded me/us about it.

Steve

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org