LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Mercury Discussion / Holley Carb Repairs -51 Mercury

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Holley Carb Repairs -51 Mercury -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

Tracker
05-20-2014 @ 4:03 PM

My 1951 Mercury has suddenly started running rich..it does not emit black smoke that I can see but it fills up the garage with noxious fumes almost upon starting.It has a completely stock original engine with a two bbl Holley which adjusts easily between settings but the problem persist regardless of adjustments to the air screws.

I bought a carb kit from Birdhaven but I'm not clear on what I should be looking for to repair. Any thoughts or suggestions on this would be appreciated.

Thanks & regards

Tracker

TomO
05-21-2014 @ 7:26 AM
Senior

Tracker, before tearing apart your carburetor, check the spark plugs for color. If they are black and sooty, you are running rich or have been driving slow speeds and doing a lot of idling.

The idle mixture screws are just that. They adjust the mixture for the idle when the engine is at operating temperatures. They do not have an effect when the engine is cold or at driving speeds.

Your automatic choke may be the culprit also. It should be closed when the engine is cold and not running, open about 30 degrees when the engine is started and open all of the way, when your temp gauge needle moves off of cold. You may be able to just adjust the automatic choke or replace the heat tube for it and then adjust it.

Tom

This message was edited by TomO on 5-21-14 @ 7:28 AM

supereal
05-21-2014 @ 2:33 PM
Senior

I think TomO is on the right track. The "coincentric" carb is an odd and complcated unit. If you need a diagram, I can post it.

TomO
05-22-2014 @ 7:25 AM
Senior

Tracker,

Unless you have a lot of experience with carburetor repair, I suggest that you give up the idea of putting a kit in your 51 carburetor. As Supereal said, these are very complicated carburetors and do not take kindly to amateur repairs, sometimes going as far as to start on fire.

These old cars do emit noxious fumes as part of their character. There are no computer controlled fuel injectors and spark timing to control combustion and they lack the catalytic converter that removes some of the more harmful results of combustion.

Never run any car inside a garage without some way to carry the exhaust fume outside of the garage. An open garage door is not sufficient, the fumes must be carried far enough away so they cannot come back in. CO does not have an odor and makes up the majority of the fumes. The stuff that you can smell will not kill you, but it is combined with CO that can kill you.

Tom

rotorwrench
05-22-2014 @ 5:34 PM

There are several things to inspect that can cause over rich operation or just plain fuel leakage. The guys are correct about being careful with these carbs when maintaining them. Previous damage may have happened at the last rebuild that is now starting to affect the way things function now.

These carbs are shrouded so it's hard to detect internal bowl leaks without disassembly. The bowl on top can get warped from previous maintenance and leak down onto the throttle body. The power valve vacuum circuit that runs up through the top of the shroud can have problems that don't allow the power valve to function correctly. If the float sticks or hangs up in the open position then the bowl will leak internally or vent at the back where it's hard to see.

Lots of things that can happen including the choke adjustement or internal mechanism problems that have been mentioned. Either a Holley manual or the 49 thru 51 Lincoln Mercury Overhaul Manual are a must for instruction on cleaning & adjusting these old instruments. There are a lot of little parts that have to be accounted for and small differences between models so knowing what the ID markings mean and having good illustrated parts breakdowns will help more than I can describe.

This message was edited by rotorwrench on 5-22-14 @ 5:38 PM

Tracker
05-23-2014 @ 6:15 AM

Tom

The plugs looked normal but I cleaned them anyway. The auto choke is frozen in the open position and has no practical effect. Very few cold days here to worry about so never gave it much attention.

Sprayed WD -40 on the shaft exteriors and noticed a slight change in rpms.

Thanks for your response as always.

Tracker

Tracker
05-23-2014 @ 6:17 AM

Thanks SR...I have a 49-1951 Merc shop manual which has a section on the Holley carb but its way above my
level of expertise. Thanks as always for your response.

Tracker
05-23-2014 @ 6:26 AM

Thanks RW...one thing is for certain. I will ask before investing in carb rebuild kits in future.

I have located a couple of pro carb rebuilders on the net but there services are pretty high priced. I think I could probably buy a NOS Holley for the prices they charge to do an old Holley like mine but I may not have any choice. This thing really stinks now when idling but surprisingly still runs very smooth and idles well.

I appreciate your response and have about decided this is not something I can do with my limited expertise in such things.

Tracker

Tracker
05-23-2014 @ 6:33 AM

Tom

I have zero experience rebuilding a carb and I know that some are far simpler than others. The Holley unfortunately does not appear to be one of them.

I don't idle the car in the garage any longer than it takes to start it and roll it outside. It still stinks up the garage and smells like old varnished fuel ( like my old lawnmowers used to meal at summers end ) and what it does to your clothes in that short a time period is disgusting.

Unless I can locate a NOS Holley Carb, guess I am going the way of hiring a pro builder and biting the bullet on cost. Thanks again as always for your help & guidance.

Tracker

TomO
05-23-2014 @ 8:19 AM
Senior

Tracker,

If your plugs look normal, and the car runs well, then I seriously doubt that rebuilding or replacing the carburetor will solve your problem, and may introduce a new problem.

You said the fumes smell like bad gas. My guess is that it is probably bad gas. The newer formulas for gasoline are not very stable and can go bad in as little as a couple of months. You can add some Seafoam to the tank and drive it to burn off the bad gas or, drain the tank and start over with fresh gas. I don't know what you would do with the drained gas. I have never tried to dispose of old fuel.

I normally do not recommend additives to either the gas or the oil, but Seafoam has helped me several times when I have been sold bad gas. It also helps to burn off the H2O that accumulates from the Ethanol separating from the gas.

If you decide to rebuild the carburetor, Daytona Carburetor has the best reputation for the Holley Teapots. They are not cheap, but you will get a quality job.

If your choke is frozen inside the housing, you will have to remove it from engine to disassemble and clean it properly. You may also have a problem with the heat tube allowing exhaust gases to enter the choke housing and corroding the parts.

Tom

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org