LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Mercury Discussion / 51 Merc /Overdrive Problem

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: 51 Merc /Overdrive Problem

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

Tracker
11-05-2012 @ 10:43 AM

When the kick down switch is pressed down to pass another car, the engine starts to miss and backfire.
When the kickdown is released, the car goes back to normal operating mode.

In park at idle, if the switch is depressed manually, it stops the engine.

Can anyone tell me what to begin looking for ? The fuse is good at both ends so not sure whats happening. Thanks for your help.

supereal
11-05-2012 @ 1:40 PM
Senior

The kickdown switch activated by the accelerator contains two sets of contacts. The normally closed set furnishes ground to the overdrive relay via the governor. When the pedal is full depressed, the normally open contacts ground the ignition points on the condenser side, if the overdrive is engaged thru the rail switch. This actually shuts the engine down to allow the OD to release. From your description, I'd suspect the kickdown switch contacts are not making full connection. This can be checked with an ohmeter. If you need a wiring diagram, I can post one.

Tracker
11-05-2012 @ 5:56 PM

I would appreciate any help you can provide...if you would, please post the diagram.

To be clear , is depressing the kick down switch while the engine is idling supposed to stop the engine altogether ? If I press it by hand and hold it , the engine stops immediately. If I press and release it goes back to normal idle. When running down the road , any attempt to make it go into passing mode causes it to back fire and would quit if held there.

Thanks for your help.

Tracker

The kick down connections appear to be tightwith no breaks that I can see

supereal
11-05-2012 @ 7:39 PM
Senior

The kickdown switch is only active if the overdrive is engaged. The governor should not allow engagement if the engine is idling, so you should not be able to stop the engine with the switch unless you are moving above the speed the governor closes. I'm sending this from my iPad, so it will scan and post the circuit diagram for you when I am back in the shop tomorrow.

supereal
11-06-2012 @ 9:41 AM
Senior

I am attaching a copy of the overdrive wiring.It is important to know how the kickdown works. The downshift from overdrive to standard drive is activated by the kickdown switch under the accelerator, which has two functions. It opens the control circuit, causing the solenoid to deenergize. Because of the torque applied to the OD, it can't release until the driving torque is released. The kickdown switch grounds the ignition points, and the mechanical portion of the OD is then released. When the solenoid drops, the set of points used to ground the ignition opens, ending the interruption of the engine, which lasts only one half revolution of the crankshaft. As you report that you can short the engine out while idling by pushing the kickdown switch, it is probable that the switch inside the solenoid cover is stuck closed, or the wire is grounded. Look for the switch with the orange wire. The solenoid has two windings, one to pull, and the other to hold, operated by the blue wire. The contacts inside the solenoid case are subject to considerable current, and are known to cause problems such as you have mentioned.

Tracker
11-07-2012 @ 7:29 AM

Thanks for the od wiring schematic ....its the best I
have seen.

Beginning today to locate the problem and will report back what I find as I'm sure others have had the same problem.

Your info is always spot on SR. Thanks as always for your help and interest.

Tracker

Tracker
11-08-2012 @ 4:39 PM

The answer to my overdrive problem was right in front of my face all along....when the engine was re-installed the shop connected the coil wires up wrong...instead of going back to the hot ( negative side )of the coil both the distributor and kickdown wires were both connected to the positive swide of the coil.

The engine did not show negative polarity but it did lack power and my guess is the coil was the culprit for the power loss. At any rate , all is now back to normal although I am still amazed at what these old flatheads will tolerate and still run.

My thanks to Super Real for his help in getting this
problem resolved...the drawing of the OD and the explanation how this all came together was really helpful to a novice like me.Thanks again.

Regards

Tracker

supereal
11-09-2012 @ 6:53 AM
Senior

I'm glad you solved it. Trying to fix a problem without a diagram is like traveling in unfamiliar territory without a road map. At our shop, we spend big money on a service that provides info for all kinds and brands of vehicles. Without it, it is impossible to find and fix problems.

<< previous || next >> 

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org