LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Mercury Discussion / Painting a '49 Merc engine correctly

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Painting a '49 Merc engine correctly

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

36 conv sedan
12-10-2011 @ 12:37 PM

Hi:

I am slowly progressing with my '49's woody restoration and it is time to do the engine. It was rebuilt in the past and painted orange, and now I want to do it as it should have been. I already have it out of the car, while we do the firewall and chassis.

First question, is the color the same as in the 1949 Lincoln? I have seen two shades of green so far in Merc, a sort of bright hue greenish blue, and a sort of dull gray-green in others.

I ordered a copy of "The 1949-50-51 Ford Book" from the club, hoping it might help, though I know several things are not the same as in Mercs. The book, talks about early and late 1949 engines. Is this true for Mercs also? I ask because it says starting in October 1948 engines were painted already assembled. It says "Blocks, heads, intake manifolds, front covers and water pups were all painted blue prior to assembly and machined surfaces were unpainted". Of course, painting the full assembly would render a very different result as an unnasembled engine. So I guess I first need to know the answer to my question in these paragraph.

Then, ask what comes painted black and what comes engine color. I take it that oil filter, generator and air cleaner should be black but what about oil entrance tube and cap, oil dipstick and it's tube, wire holders, starter, etc.

Thanks for any help,
Victor

TomO
12-11-2011 @ 9:26 AM
Senior

Bill Hirsch has the correct green for your engine. It is different than the Lincoln green used in 1949.

http://www.hirschauto.com/prodinfo.asp?number=EE-QUART

There were early and late 49 Merc engines, but I don't know if there was a difference in the way they were painted. Check with Ron Westwood, the 49-51 Mercury Adviser.

Tom

36 conv sedan
12-11-2011 @ 2:03 PM

Tom:

Thanks for your response. I live in Mexico and getting the paint from Hirsch here could take veeeeeery long. They can only be shipped ground, and our mail is not precisely very efficient. Therefore, I am thinking of doing my best in getting the paint done locally, epoxy type which works very well on engines (I have done some others that way).

Can you or anybody else tell me if the one in the pic attached (got it from the internet) seems like the correct color? I have found pics of several Mercs that seem to show this same color, which I would describe as a light but bright blueish-green or turquoise.

You will notice this particular engine has the crank pulley and water pump pulleys in black. Is this correct? I have also seen engines with the full water pumps in black.

Since I don't know how to post several pics, I will place another message with another pic with what I refer to as the grayish-green color.

Thanks,
Victor

This message was edited by 36 conv sedan on 12-11-11 @ 2:05 PM

36 conv sedan
12-11-2011 @ 2:11 PM

This would be the second color I have seen... in at least two cars, but this particular pic comes from the engine of a very original '49 woody which was in a large woody collection, from Nick Alexander, if I recall correctly.

What color would be most close to the '49 correct color? the blueish green on the previous post or the grayish green on this one?

This one shows the water inlet parts housing the thermostats in black, which the '49-'51 Ford restorers guide calls correct for a Ford. Would Mercury use the same treatment?

By the way, I saw a fully restored '49 Lincoln Cosmopolitan coupe that seemed to show this same color. That is why I was wondering if Lincoln and Mercury would use the same shade of green.

Thanks for any help and opinions
Victor

TomO
12-12-2011 @ 8:26 AM
Senior

The first color looks more like the 53 Mercury color and the second one looks more correct, but dirty and faded.

I have seen the black crank pulleys and the black water pumps on the 49 Mercurys, but never just the pulleys painted black.

If you want the best answer, check with Ron Westwood.

If you want my opinion, and I am not an expert on the 49-53 Mercury, I would paint the water pumps engine color and the crank pulley, oil filler, oil breather black. At some point in time the Mercury engine had the same color oil pan as the engine, but I cannot remember the year, so I would paint it black also.

Tom

36 conv sedan
12-15-2011 @ 5:00 PM

Thanks Tom. Engine is in the painting process now. Should turn out reasonably well.

Thanks again for your help,
victor

<< previous || next >> 

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org