LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Mercury Discussion / 1940 Deluxe sedan..... to modify or stock?

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: 1940 Deluxe sedan..... to modify or stock?

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

Delx40
09-03-2011 @ 7:35 AM

Just bought a 1940 Deluxe sedan from wife's dad. The body and insides are restored quite well. However since it burns oil and transmission and shocks(at least) need a rebuild we are debating whether to modify or keep stock.
We live near Raleigh NC and need some hard info on cost to go either way (modify or rebuild) relative to finished value. Can anyone assist us please?
I am a newbee to mods and this web site.
Thanks
~David

cwray
09-03-2011 @ 9:43 AM

If you decide to modify the sedan with a new or different engine assy. I would be intrested in having the flathead engine from the car. I have a 39 sedan and have been looking for a period correst 239c.i.d. flathead for it. I also have numerous extra parts for my 39 model 99a 4 door sedan but it's mostly body trim related both interior and exterior that I may have extra of. It is my opinion, if your sedan is complete that it would greatly depriciate it's value not to restore it back to it's original condition. I am presently building a ford flathead engine with some performance modifications so that I can get my sedan running but do intend to also find and build a correct flathead engine assy. for it as well. I'm in the street rod scene with a resto-mod shop open to public and recently acquired this 39 sedan on a trade. I didn't really realize exactlty what I was getting until the trade had made it to me. It's a quite impressive project, lots of new and rstored parts in above average to excellent condition. After looking at things for a couple days, I made a decision to restore and not modify. Good luck with your project and if I can help in any way send me some contact info. by way of private message.

ford38v8
09-03-2011 @ 11:32 AM
Senior

David, I agree with cwray as will most on this Forum. A car as nice as yours should have a flathead under the hood. If you wish to modify the flathead, fine, but to put in a brand X engine will definitely lower the value. if resale value is not your priority, put whatever engine in it you prefer.

Alan

Delx40
09-03-2011 @ 4:09 PM

Many thanks for the advice. After posting my request I looked at past blogs and then realized that most of them were from "craftsmen" who restore/keep the original. I am leaning that way as it is converted to 12V w/Mallory ignition and that's all. I do have some extra body parts which came with it as they were replaced w/new.
Would appreciate any sources like a detailed manual, parts suppliers and any old school mechanics in the Raleigh area. By the way what type of oil is recommended for it?
Thanks again!...........David

cwray
09-03-2011 @ 5:03 PM

This site is a wealth of resources. Lots of books and manuals are available for purchase. Many other members will also help with information as you need it. I wish the best with your project, We are building our 39 Sedan to be driven. We are converting it to 12 volts, a 12 volt battery with a 6 volt appearance is offered. Also a 12 volt generator with a 6 volt appearance is available. We are adding a/c in a subtle way by tucking it away under the dash and a special control head is being built by a friend of mine. I am determined to make the changes without modifying or damaging the structure of the car so that it can always be put back to it's original state easily. Alan grove components builds a bolt on bracket and offers pulleys to acomadate compressors on the flathead. Much time and care goes into projects such as these, mostly in finding people with special talents like radiator shops and people with abiltys to cast special parts. You just have to be determined to get a job done the way you want it. If they seem skeptical when you're talking to them they probably can't handle the task. If I can help with anything I'd be happy to.

ford38v8
09-03-2011 @ 6:15 PM
Senior

David, Below you will find the resources page of my Regional Group. We're on the West Coast, so the "local" means local to the SF Bay area:

http://www.goldengatev8.org/resources.htm

You can build your own list of links also, as many suppliers maintain links on their websites.

By the way, as your question pertains to both Ford and Merc, this section is fine, but seek out the Ford section for questions specific to your car. We'll do our best to supply answers for you.

Alan

TomO
09-04-2011 @ 4:16 PM
Senior

Your 40 Ford Deluxe is a very pretty car and it deserves to have a good running flathead under the hood.

Before you do anything, check out the regional groups of the Early Ford V-8 club near you and some of their cars. They will be very helpful in getting your Ford on the road.

The contact for the Piedmont Group is
hhfisher580@yahoo.com

Dennis Carpenter is a supplier of reproduction and re-manufactured parts. He is located in Charlotte and has been a good resource for 40 Ford owners for over 35 years.

Tom

<< previous || next >> 

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org