LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Mercury Discussion / Directional signal lights on a '49 Mercury woodie

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Directional signal lights on a '49 Mercury woodie -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

36 conv sedan
06-22-2011 @ 8:54 AM

Hi guys:

I am having trouble determining what I need to install the directional signals on my 1949 Mercury woodie. My car had an adapted 1949 Lincoln steering wheel and now that I take it off I see it has nothing inside for the directional signal switch.

So, it seems I need the switch, the lever, and whatever goes in there. I am not even sure if they will be the same as in a Ford or in a Lincoln. Can anybody shed some light here?

Would anybody have some extra parts that could sell ?

Would anybody have a parts drawing or picture so I understand what I need to get and do?

Thanks,
Victor

36 conv sedan
06-22-2011 @ 8:58 AM

Oh, and by the way, I need the same question for the horn mechanism... I need to get both horn and directional signal parts and install them.

Thanks,
Victor

TomO
06-23-2011 @ 7:10 AM
Senior

I can not give you a complete answer, because your steering wheel is not stock.

In general terms, the turn signal mechanism and horn contact plate should be from a car that has the same steering column as yours. If you have a Mercury column, then you need Mercury parts, If you have a Lincoln column, you need Lincoln parts.

The Lincoln steering wheel may not work with the Mercury turn signal parts and horn parts.

Tom

36 conv sedan
06-24-2011 @ 4:00 PM

Tom: I am sorry I did not specify correctly. At some point, my car's steering wheel was changed for a '49 Lincoln's. I already got the correct '49 Mercury wheel but now that I want to install it, I notice I have nothing inside my steering column in regards to horn or to directional signals. My column does show a recangle hole about midway from the wheel to the floor, where I supose a switch or something might have gone.

My question is mainly what should be in there. I need to locate the switch and whatever mechanism to the turn signal lever. Also, whatever made the horn contact when pressing the chromed ring on the wheel.

Thanks,
Victor

TomO
06-25-2011 @ 7:33 AM
Senior

Victor, here is a link to a person claiming to have the parts that you need.

http://www.cars-on-line.com/parts481.html

Tom

36 conv sedan
06-25-2011 @ 8:36 PM

Tom:

Thanks a lot! I will call tomorrow and find out wether it is everything I need and get it.

It seems to me, without ever having seen the system, that the switch goes by mid steering column and the turn signal lever must actuate some mechanical system inside the steering wheel column that will transmit the movement via a strong cable to the switch). That is what I am trying to find out.

Thanks again for your help,
Victor

36 conv sedan
06-27-2011 @ 12:16 PM

Mmmm... no luck. Parts were already sold, so I am still looking for them, in case anybody might have them.

thanks,
victor

TomO
06-28-2011 @ 7:50 AM
Senior

Most factory turn signal systems used a plastic cam system under the steering wheel with wires going inside the outer column and exiting under the dash, where the wire connected to the flasher and lights.

The horn ring made contact with a copper ring connected to a wire that ran down the center of the steering column and provided ground to the horn relay.

It has been many years since I have worked on the 49 Mercury system, so my comments are pretty generic.

Here is a link to a site that searches the internet for cars and parts. You will have to examine a lot of Craigs lists to see if they are relevant.

http://www.ownster.com/

A google search turned up the following post on the HAMB

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=401309

You can also try contacting the vendors listed in this article
http://www.hemmings.com/hmn/stories/2009/07/01/hmn_feature31.html

Tom

36 conv sedan
07-06-2011 @ 6:39 PM

Tom: Thanks a lot for the info, particularly the link to the wiring diagram. I was able to find a new switch on ebay and the correct original used parts from Mercuryland. I am in the process of installing them now.

Doubt now is the horn. I am missing the parts there also.

Would anybody know if the turn signals would have been an option? It seems my car never had them originally.

Thanks,
Victor

TomO
07-07-2011 @ 7:10 AM
Senior

The turn signals were still an option in 1949. Here is a drawing of the steering column and steering wheel assembly.

Tom

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org