LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Mercury Discussion / 50 Mercury OD question

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: 50 Mercury OD question

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

RAND
02-24-2020 @ 5:18 PM

Hi fellas
A good number of years ago my trans developed a chipped 2nd. gear.
So I took it to a old school mechanic here in Atlanta. He took it apart just to tell me "yep" it has a chipped 2nd gear. It sat in pieces in his garage for many many months while he looked for a gear. I got fed up with him and brought it home in a crate in pieces. I can make somebody a deal on it if anyone is interested?
Anyways...I got another trans and put it in. last weekend I finally got around to wiring up the OD. To just to see how the OD works I wired it up with a fused switch with heavy wire from the power on the starter solenoid to the OD solenoid. When in the driveway I flip the switch and can hear the solenoid kick in and out. So I went for a drive to give it a try? I can hear it click in and out and kinda buck and a clunk but wont engage the OD? I'm afraid that I might do damage so I quit.
Freewheel handle/cable works fine. Could the solenoid be put in wrong? I'm sure hoping that its not something internal? Thoughts?
Thanks Randy

RAND
02-24-2020 @ 5:22 PM

I posted this on the Barn as well with little response..
Im thinking I should probably hook it all up properly. But I just wanted to give it a try to see the condition of the trans before I spent to much time wiring it all up
Thanks for your thoughts, Randy

This message was edited by RAND on 2-24-20 @ 5:22 PM

TomO
02-25-2020 @ 8:18 AM
Senior

Hook it up correctly. You probably did not damage anything with your trial.

When the overdrive is hooked up properly, there is no load on the gears when the solenoid engages and it can slide easily into place.

Here is a link to a Ford Barn discussion on the overdrive.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=242719&showall=1

Tom

RAND
02-25-2020 @ 8:12 PM

Thank you TomO

sarahcecelia
02-27-2020 @ 5:45 AM
Senior

Randy Rundle , Fifth Avenue internet garage, Clay Center , Kansas City , Kansas can provide you with a small booklet about O'drive -How it works, and with a wiring schematic. It was about $15. Call him @785-632-3450

Regards, Steve Lee

56MarkII
04-13-2020 @ 9:46 AM

I also have a 1950 Mercury with overdrive and parts are not overly hard to find! First thing you do is get a parts manual and the second is a service manual! I find it odd 2nd gear is "chipped" as it is only shifted in or out through a sliding coupler/synchronizer assembly other than the fact something got in or from typical gear smashers and crashers tooooooo stupid to let the gears stop or pop it into 2nd to stop them! Pull your side cover off of your replacement and you will most likely see trashed 1st and reverse gears including a trashed cluster gear turning it into a cluster @&#%
Every car I have owned with non synchronized 1st had these gears smashed before I purchased as well.
One thing to keep in mind if you decide to rebuild what you have on hand is the years. 1950 and older share the same gears, 1951 and newer have a different tooth count by one tooth. I have used newer model gears in older but you have to have a matched set and will work. Otherwise get a parts manual and get exact part numbers so you can do a proper search.
BTW I used to drive a 59 Ford and the trans shifted fine when I got it but later on would grind shifting into 2nd or 3rd after I drove it many miles on the highway. It ended up the transmission had many filings and chips from 1st&reverse and driving on the highway stirred up the sediment of smashed gears and this garbage destroyed my synchronizors so again I had to rebuild yet another transmission!

sarahcecelia
04-14-2020 @ 6:51 AM
Senior

To check solenoid installation:

Take the 2 holding bolts out. Then pull on the case to see if you feel spring tension; if you do- it is installed CORRECTLY. If you DON'T- take the solenoid out; then install it withthe paddle blade in the one 0'clock position, and turn it to the 12 o'clock position. Now pull on the case. you should feel spring tension. if you don't, try again- if you do, re-fasten it with the two mounting bolts!

Regards, Steve Lee

sarahcecelia
05-06-2020 @ 4:17 PM
Senior

Call Randy Rundle, or google: Fifth Avenue Garage, Clay Center ,Kansas City , Kansas- you will see that he sells a pamphlet that tells everything about the o'drive trans, and shows the correct wiring schematic for it!! It only costs about $15 and is well worth it!!

Be sure to google just what I said, or you will get a Ford dealer called Fifth Avenue!!

Regards, Steve Lee

sarahcecelia
05-12-2020 @ 9:28 AM
Senior

The o'drive solenoid can't be put in wrong-It only goes in ONE WAY! ( with the paddle blade at one o'clock.
Then turn it to the left to line up the 2 bolt holes. But like I said in a previous post about overdrive transmissions; after putting it in and lining up the 2 bolt holes-pull on it. If you feel spring tension, the paddle blade is engaged correctly. Then bolt it up!

Regards, Steve Lee

<< previous || next >> 

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org