LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Mercury Discussion / steering column removal

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: steering column removal

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

RAND
03-17-2017 @ 6:44 PM

How does the steering column/gearbox come out of a 50 Mercury? Up through the car? or down through the bottom?
Thanks, Randy

TomO
03-18-2017 @ 11:09 AM
Senior

Down through the bottom.

You must remove the steering column tube from the inside before removing

Tom

TomO
03-18-2017 @ 11:10 AM
Senior

second page

Tom

rotorwrench
03-19-2017 @ 3:29 PM

The plates on the floor are large enough that is can really go either way as long as the steering wheel & possibly the shift handle is removed. It just has to be angled toward the passenger side to get the box to come through the inside. It can go out through the front as well as long as the car is up high enough off the shop floor.

This message was edited by rotorwrench on 3-19-17 @ 3:31 PM

RAND
03-20-2017 @ 7:48 PM

Thanks fellas,
This is what I buggered up, I was trying to remove my accessory wheel to repair my messed up shift linkage in the column. Dumb me forgot to leave the nut loosely on. Well the gear puller kinda messed up the steering tube. I was able to find another complete column with a tight gear box for cheep from a semi local guy on the 49-51 Mercury FB page. The Black wheel was pretty tough to remove which tells me the column was removed with the wheel intact up threw the inside the car?
New questions?? How do I fish new Blinker wires up inside the column.
Also...Where can I get a new column to floor board/firewall rubber seal?
I can find Ford but not Mercury (there different)
Thanks a bunch for your help!
Randy

This message was edited by RAND on 3-20-17 @ 7:49 PM

TomO
03-21-2017 @ 7:55 AM
Senior

To fish your wires up the column, use fairly stiff wire and feed it up from the bottom, then attach your wires to the fish wire and pull them up.

For the seal, if you have checked all of the usual suppliers and http://www.rearcounter.com/

you will have to try to modify the Ford part.

Tom

56MarkII
07-24-2017 @ 7:22 PM

Hi Tom And Rand
I'm in the same boat here re the steering gear?? on my 50 Merc sedan
After reading the pages you posted is it absolutely necessary to remove the column or can it be loosened to allow some movement? I obtained a complete steering gear many years ago at a swap meet complete with the shaft sticking way out and I'm wondering if I'm able to lift the car up high enough with the column support or retainer clamp loosened for movement, can this steering gear assembly be unbolted, shifted slightly to the side and carefully slid down and out of the steering column after of course the key is removed from the shaft? I got this gear assembly years ago because long before I got my car, the lower seal was shot and the gear oil leaked out resulting in the entire gear assembly becoming buggered. It steers harder than a 3 ton truck carrying a full load without power steering. Parallel parking must be done with very slight creeping of the car to turn the wheel and I always toughed it out because I was told years ago a hoist was required to be able to drop the assembly out the bottom under the car. Rand how did you make out with your venture?

TomO
07-26-2017 @ 8:27 AM
Senior

I have not done this and have not worked on a 50's Mercury since 1961, so I cannot give you a good answer. Rotorwrench said in his post that it can be done.

Tom

56MarkII
07-27-2017 @ 3:05 PM

Thanks Tom and oops I forgot rotowrench who I see with valuable information on this and other forums!!
I looked under the hood and gasped at the situation and realistically removing the column and bringing it out into the interior would probably be a simpler solution or should I say a sweeter tasting lemon!! I bought the other gear as I mentioned earlier but yesterday I decided to examine this so called replacement and the turkey that sold it to me autographed the taper with a vice grip leading me to wonder why would that be needed with a "good" steering gear?? Also this fellow that sold me this "prize" didn't place the nut on top as well prior to pulling the wheel. When I use a puller, not only do I put the nut on (mostly for safety in case the item is extremely tight and breaks loose with a powerful force flying into my coconut or face straightening out my nose, but i have an assortment of brass round stock in varying thicknesses and diameter that I place on top or against whatever the puller or press is pushing against to protect this especially if it is an expensive delicate goodie and this brass allows me to hit the puller with a hammer if required to jar things loose before the puller bolts snap. I pulled the plug and found it was drier than a popcorn fart for oil with moisture contamination many years ago leading to brown (this isn't the only thing that is brown but it's equiv. in this case) rust that is now dry and falling out as i tipped it upside down. GRRRRRRR!!!! At least I got this now a core cheap enough that I can totally rebuild for a complete swap and this proves that the poor and stingy pay twice!!! The bearings are all ruined, the sector shaft got partially shafted but luckily not at the seal contact area. The floating bearing race for the worm was seized within the housing so out came the Muriatic acid from the local hardware to munch away at the rust. Everything is now silver with the exception of the rust pits in the parts and bearings but at least I got it apart! Out came the parts manual and now I have a list to search with which led me to a brand new NOS Mercury Sector shaft on ePay still in the Ford OEM box. $100.00 or best offer. Somebody had pity on me and I got it for $50.00 US plus shipping at $52 US just for shipping (eeeek, ouch!) but at least I got it for a great price (plus 30++% exchange on my worthless Canuckastan beaver pelts.............sigh )-: )
Shoebox is selling me a gasket shim kit with bearings and seal for $46.00 US but doesn't have the bushings or the adjuster screw cover gasket so back to ePay to find two 7RT 3576-A bushings from one seller for $20 US including shipping, another with a new sector adjusting screw for $3.95. I haven't found a worm and shaft or just the worm but with slight rust damage to the bearing contact surface it can be used if need be. Otherwise, other than the housing, the gears are still very good for wear so it isn't a total loss. Chris at Shoebox mentioned the Ford worm is cut reversed to what Mercury uses so other than finding a worm from a RH steering Ford, I will probably have to reuse my worm unless somebody out there knows of a substitute that can be used on my steering shaft?? I will press my very good shaft out of my worn out gear still in my car and exchange it with the buggered shaft on my core that I'm rebuilding. Mine is shot because long before I purchased my 50, the sector shaft seal was roached and it wasn't replaced resulting in the gears getting tortured to death.

56MarkII
07-27-2017 @ 4:12 PM

Anybody try this? I noticed Joblot has a worm but they mention modifications are required and I did a search on the part number and came up with this
https://fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?p=247362

<< previous || next >> 

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org