LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / 1940 Ford Discussion / Sedan Delivery Rear Door Hinges

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Sedan Delivery Rear Door Hinges -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

alanb2337
09-21-2010 @ 9:54 AM

I recently acquired a 1940 sedan delivery that has been in a barn for 25+ years. I've been told that the Early Ford V-8 Club is the place to go to get answers. This is my first post and hopefully someone can help.

My delivery is missing both the upper and lower hinge for the rear door that bolt to the jam.

Were these hinges unique to the sedan delivery or are they the same as the driver door or from something else?

Thanks!
Alanb

40 Coupe
09-21-2010 @ 2:42 PM
Senior

for the model 78 sedan delivery 112" wheel base the rear door hinges are 01A-7842900 upper and 01A-7842910 lower. I suggest you purchase a copy of the 40 ford Body parts book. many of the retailers to the hobby sell it. In order to find if these are common hinges to another year or body style you try to match the part numbers above to the listings of door hinges on each body style in the book. because the part number starts with 01A these hinges were first used in 40 but MAY have been carried over to 41?? so don't look for 39 sedan delivery hinges to fit.

TomO
09-22-2010 @ 8:40 AM
Senior

The P/N indicates that these hinges are unique to the Sedan Delivery. The Panel Delivery also used hinges that were unique to it. Both body styles were continued to 1941, so the 1941 hinges may work. I don't have a 1941 Body parts book.

Tom

alanb2337
09-22-2010 @ 8:01 PM

Thanks for the info. I had heard these hinges were unique to the sedan delivery, but thank you for the confirmation.

So for my follow question, did Ford make brand new hinges for a short production run vehicle (since roughly 5500 were made in 40 and 41), or did they raid some left over stock from another manufacturer? I spoke with Wescott, and they suggested that something from a GM may work, like from a 37. Thoughts?

The worst case is I found someone in the Chicago area that has a couple of sedan deliveries and will take measurements and make my own.

Thanks again.
Alan

supereal
09-23-2010 @ 11:20 AM
Senior

Bodies for low production cars and trucks were often made by vendors who no longer exist, making finding body parts almost impossible unless you can locate a donor vehicle someplace. Anyone who has restored an open car or a limited type, such as your sedan delivery, can attest to that.

TomO
09-23-2010 @ 12:21 PM
Senior

You can try to find a Hollander interchange manual that covers 1940. They may have an interchange with another make. As Supereal said, many of the specialty and low production items were supplied by vendors and were supplied to more than one manufacturer.

Tom

alanb2337
09-23-2010 @ 7:57 PM

I got my homework cut out for me then if I want to find a set of hinges that will bolt on. If I learn something, I'll post it up here for the book.
Thanks for the input from all. I just found a guy in the area that has a couple of 41 deliveries and is willing to let me come over and take measurements of his hinges. Not a problem for me to fabricate my own set.
Alanb

shogun1940
10-01-2010 @ 6:30 PM

hi I have 39 delivery, it has two hinges on the outside, I could take some pictures and measurements if you need them

kwmpa
02-12-2011 @ 5:38 PM

any update on the inge situation im in need of a set as well

deuce_roadster
02-13-2011 @ 5:30 PM

This might sound fishy but in about 1983 I had a 40 sed del that was missing the lower hinge on the rear door. Believe it or not, I found that a VW Bug door hinge looks exactly like the Ford hinge, at least the part you can see that is exposed. Bought a new one from the dealer and I had to weld on material to lengthen and re locate the screw holes where it attached to the jamb but the part you see was right on. I was desperate and that is what I used. I doubt that original hinges will be any easier to find now.
With a bit of work you can fabricate hinges from the VW starting point that will look authentic. Good luck!

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org