LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Mercury Discussion / Ammeter discharge w/halogen lights

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Ammeter discharge w/halogen lights -- page: 1 2 3

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

TomO
09-23-2015 @ 8:10 AM
Senior

Tracker,

The headlight relay will increase the voltage to your headlights and make them brighter.

You can also eliminate excess resistance in the headlight circuit and accomplish the same thing. The dimmer switch usually accounts for the most resistance in the circuit. If you operate it about 20 times with the lights on, you will be surprised by how much brighter they are.

I explained how to find excess resistance in the post to Peder in this forum. Before installing the headlight relay, I would perform these voltage drop tests.

The most common halogen headlight is from Drake and other hot rod suppliers. Those bulbs do draw much more current than the stock bulbs. The H6006 bulb is supposed to have the same current draw as the stock 6V sealed beam bulb. The H6024 draws more current than the stock bulb.

Tom

Tracker
09-23-2015 @ 8:16 PM

Tom

The Wagner H Lights are the H6006. If that's the same draw as the originals, does that suggest I have another problem yet to be identified ?

I did order the 6 volt hd relay from 5th Ave Garage anticipating that I would be going back to incandescent lights which means I will not be doing any night driving.

Will the relay allow me to use the Wagner halogens or does that mean back to incandescent regardless. I admit I am confused on this issue.

Tracker

TomO
09-24-2015 @ 5:36 AM
Senior

Tracker,

You probably have excess resistance in the headlight circuit. Read this article and let me know if it answers your questions.

http://www.fluke.com/fluke/uses/comunidad/fluke-news-plus/articlecategories/electrical/diagnosevoltdrop

Tom

Tracker
09-25-2015 @ 2:17 PM

Thanks Tom...I will keep this for future reference & have read it 5 times. I started with grounds & each time the incandescent lights did get a bit brighter. Then I used the flasher about 20 times...what that does I cannot imagine but the negative ammeter read went away entirely. Then I put the Wagner halogens back in and ended up with a heavy draw down on the ammeter while running above idle. I let the car run about 15 minutes but the light wires never heated up that I could tell. The lights are 4-5 times brighter but the negative draw down has not substantially improved. I'm not happy about that so my plan is to forget the Halogens and put the 5th Avenue relay in I'm expecting and go back to incandescent lighting & forget night driving unless the inline relay kicks everything up a notch so I can see to drive.

Thanks again for your expertise Tom and your always willingness to share your knowledge...its an invaluable aid to wannabe mechanics like myself.

tracker

len47merc
09-25-2015 @ 6:22 PM
Senior

Tracker - I have kept up with this discussion with keen interest as when starting my first project I had the same dilemma as you. With help and direction from each and every one of the respondents above to your (this) post I was able to achieve very bright, 6V neg ground original incandescent headlights with a completely stock system. The effort included not only focused clean-up of ALL lighting, dimmer switch/switches general and charging ground points but also work on the overall wiring, generator and voltage regulator. In the end I can not be happier with the brightness of the stock lights at night and routinely have people flashing me when I fail to turn off the brights (prior no one bothered as the lights were too dim to be of concern).

As a now preservationist versus 'restorationist' I am also glad to have stayed true to the original design using all the original hardware and persevered through the frustration to achieve a positive result.

Others have heard this from me before - my '47's stock 6V incandescent lights are brighter than a neighbor's '54's which was converted to 12V without troubleshooting and addressing all the root causes of his 'dim' 6V headlights. Making any conversion without researching and addressing all of the root causes and problems in your current system will likely lead to other problems down the road with your new set-up, whatever it may be.

What I am trying to say is don't give up on driving at night - those 6V lights can and will give you all the light you need to drive your car at the speeds it was designed for - without discharging. Stick with these guys (they really know their stuff!), stay patient, ask more questions and you will be surprised by how well those 6V lights will perform. Hate to see you throw in the towel on any aspect here when with a bit more effort you can achieve your goal.

EDIT - IMHO assuming you do stay with original incandescent lighting, time and effort spent optimizing the power feed/loop to your headlights should negate the need for (and offset the time and effort for) a relay install. As well, it will help you with other areas that may not be as obvious problems to you now and/or may be surprise problems in the future.

For what it's worth -

Steve

This message was edited by len47merc on 9-26-15 @ 4:41 AM

TomO
09-26-2015 @ 7:39 AM
Senior

Tracker,

Using the dimmer switch ("flasher") 20 times, cleaned some of the corrosion off of the switch contacts.

The ground circuit is just as important as the voltage circuit. Most of the concern with the grounding circuit came with the use of electronic circuits that are low amperage. The use of plastics for light housings added to the concern. Some car manufacturers added a ground terminal in the trunk that was just riveted to the body. These used to rust out frequently causing grounding problems.

In my experience with cars built from 1932-1953, the supply side of the high current circuits like the headlights and starter circuit are more likely to have excessive resistance in them that the ground circuit. The best way to isolate the excessive resistance is with a voltage drop test.

Tom

Tracker
09-26-2015 @ 7:49 AM

Len...thanks for your insightful comments. I could not be happier with the response I got on this from the most knowledgeable mechanics on the planet.

I am a long way from throwing in the towel...a fellow Merc guy told me about a halogen light harness offered by Ron Francis that may be the solution to using halogen lights without fear of frying either the dimmer or light switch..I'm looking at that as an alternative. The halogens are just so much brighter I'm still working on it.

Thanks again.
Tracker

Tracker
09-26-2015 @ 8:05 AM

Tom...thanks again...I could not imagine what pumping the flasher was doing but it definitely improved the incandescent lighting by a factor of 1x.

This car is a convertible with a single small cowl mounted groundstrap mounted to a bolt head on the fuel pump stand. Never liked that too much so I added a new woven ground strap for the frame direct to the engine. That seemed to improve everything from the radio to the lights ..then I steel wool polished every light contact and on the dimmer switch. The ammeter draw went away entirely with the Halogen lights.

My supplier contacts tell me sooner or later the Halogens will take out either my light switch or my dimmer or both. Ron Francis sells an adapter harness specifically to avoid this problem. Pricey but perhaps a safe alternative to use the Halogen lights. The xtra brightness is well worth the effort.

Thanks again.

len47merc
09-26-2015 @ 11:47 AM
Senior

Tracker - my solutions ended up being more fundamental than yours. All of the following 'connections' (in addition to wiring terminations/plugs) were addressed for the headlights and taillights and each had an impact on brightness. Those producing the greatest impact on the headlight and taillight brightness were items 1/2 and 3/4, respectively, plus 10 below, although all had degrees of impact on the lights and other areas:

1) Headlight-to-bucket
2) Bucket-to-fender
3) Taillight-to-housing
4) Housing-to-quarter panel
5) Fender-to-frame
6) Fender-to-body
7) Quarter panel-to-frame
8) Quarter panel-to-body
9) Body-to-frame (multiple locations)
10) Battery-to-body/firewall
11) Body/firewall-to-engine
12) Battery-to-solenoid
13) Solenoid-to-starter
14) Starter-to-block/trans housing

Btw, I installed original NOS woven straps from the pos battery terminal to the firewall and from the firewall to the 2nd passenger side manifold bolt (counting from the rear, placing it where the original was found). Also, my dimmer and light switches were NOT players on headlight brightness.

Guess I've become too much of a purist here but hate to see the halogens on anything other than customs/modifieds and perhaps push too hard to address all possible probs in support of the original incandescents, particularly given how the input from these guys above got them so bright.

Tom's electrical/grounding diagnosis' & processes are always on the mark, and Alan's and carcrazy's points are always insightful as well. Sounds like you are driving quite a bit at night and cannot get the incandescents where you want them, though I am more than satisfied with mine. Be sure to give carcrazy's very good suggestion of a relay serious consideration if you ultimately decide to stay with the halogens and Good Luck with your project!

Steve

This message was edited by len47merc on 9-26-15 @ 12:29 PM

ford38v8
09-26-2015 @ 5:16 PM
Senior

Tracker, I can't help making one more comment... Salesmanship always seems to trump solid advice. It is human nature to readily accept the pitchman's fix-all product, while being skeptical of advice given without a profit motive.

Alan

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2 3

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org