LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / Blades breaking off two fans

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Blades breaking off two fans -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

40headaches
05-08-2016 @ 3:36 PM

I have fan blades breaking off my radiator fans. Two seperate times. Less than 50 miles driven between repairs of the first time. Both blades were in good condition. Both times they broke off coming from 1st to second gear. I need some big time help in figuring this out. Motor is a 1940 V8 85. Bought the car in Sept 2014. Always had a hard rumble accelerating from 0 to 45 about a week after purchase. I replaced entire exhaust system and it cut the noise level by 40%. It does not hurt between my ears anymore. But It is still there. It purrs going 50 to 60. And the rumble is gone if I accerlate after 45mph. but still there below 45. Are these two issues connected? Time is of the essence on these issues.

42wagon
05-08-2016 @ 4:46 PM
Senior

Those fans are not prone to breakage under normal circumstances. I'm going to guess that there is some sort of vibration in the engine as evidenced by the rumble that you describe. That vibration is causing the fan to move back and forth and eventually metal fatigue causes the blade to break off.

My guess would be a bad thrust bearing and or bad crankshaft bearings. Maybe the engine mounts are loose and the whole engine is moving back and forth.

Let us know what you find.

40headaches
05-08-2016 @ 5:30 PM

So what would be the ft lb mark for the water pump mount nuts? Cause I just broke one of my water pump mounts, yep snapped it! Tightened a bit too much I'd say. Does anyone know if a '49 water pump fits a '40 motor?

TomO
05-09-2016 @ 7:12 AM
Senior

A 49 water pump will not fit a 40 motor. Reproduction water pumps are available from most vendors or you may be able to buy a rebuilt pump from Skip Haney. Stay away from used pumps as they will very likely leak, either coolant or oil or both. If you need a core, I will give you a pair just for the shipping costs.

http://www.fordcollector.com/water_pumps.htm

The motor mounts should be tightened just enough to slightly compress the rubber cushion.

Your fan may have had a bent blade. The bent blade will cause a vibration and eventually break. It would help if you could post photos of the broken fans. The 39-41 Ford fans are heavy duty items that seldom fail.

You can only post one photo per reply on this Forum. Very large photos will not post either.

Tom

40headaches
05-09-2016 @ 9:29 AM

The shinny black one is the victim from Sunday.

40headaches
05-09-2016 @ 9:30 AM

up close of Sunday's fan housing

40headaches
05-09-2016 @ 9:33 AM

up close of the blade. Now I see a dark area where it looks like it was seperating from the layers. My current intentions is to take both fans, blades, and pully to a machine shop and see if they are willing to help figure out what happened. Before I start removing the transmission and or engine from the car.

TomO
05-09-2016 @ 11:15 AM
Senior

Thanks for the up close photos. Both of them show that the fan was cracked and probably bent. The rust is the tell tale.

You will likely see a similar signs of rust on the other fan.

Strip the next fan down to bare metal and use a crack detection oil or magnaflux to check the fan. Next spin it up on a lathe to check the balance.

I would do this even if the seller says the fan is NOS and make sure that you can return a defective fan.

Tom

40headaches
05-10-2016 @ 12:23 PM

Test drove the car w/ out the fan on, just a different hub. Did not go 100' when the rumble was heard in 2nd gear. I also felt a vibration in both clutch and gas pedals while sitting still and revving it up and staying at a moderate rpm. So I intend to remove the trans and go after the pressure plate area. I will inspect everything I get into. Thank you for the feedback. O and I am still have major starting issues. It sat for an hour after test drive and would turn over and over. But hey, why worry, no sense in starting it if I can't drive it. You can read that post story from the past.

TomO
05-10-2016 @ 4:05 PM
Senior

It would be better to try to isolate the area where the rumble and vibration is coming from.

I would pull the throttle out until I heard the rumble. Then short one plug at a time to see if it is a high speed miss. If all of the plugs are firing OK, then use a stethoscope or a long screwdriver to isolate the rumble. Check the generator, water pumps, exhaust manifolds and the bell housing.

Tom

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org