LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / Wide Five discussion

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Wide Five discussion -- page: 1 2 3

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

Stroker
10-16-2012 @ 7:11 AM
Senior

37 Coupe: I bought a set of 15" Kelsey's at a salvage yard in the late 50's for my
38. They had the stock hubcap clips, were riveted construction, and as you say, wider.
I don't know when they were first produced, probably post war though, as that's when the 15 inch "lower profile" tires became available. They allowed me to run "big & littles", and lowered the car slightly. With the stock hubcaps, they looked quite
original to me, but of course they wouldn't to an EV8CA judge!

I think the "why" was simply to satisfy a demand to run then current 15-inch popular
tire sizes on the part of Ford, Mercury and Zephyr owners.

Even though they were embraced by circle-track racers for reasons set forth by Supereal, The fact that they came with hub cap clips indicates to me they were an aftermarket "Upgrade".

Attached is a photo of the 1934 rear-engined "dream car".

Stroker
10-16-2012 @ 7:18 AM
Senior

Here's a photo of the 1935 Stout (of Stout Metal Airplane fame). In "the day", we called wide-fives "skeleton wheels".

This message was edited by Stroker on 10-16-12 @ 7:21 AM

wmsteed
10-18-2012 @ 7:00 AM
Senior

The real reason why Ford went to the wide five bolt pattern in 1936 will most likely never be known. What is known, is documented in the 1935-36 Ford Book, pages 90-91.
Ford discontinued the wire wheels in '35 in favor of the 16 x 4 steel wheel because the all steel, riveted wheel, "improved the ride quality" of the '36 Ford.. The wide five wheel also eliminated the need for a hub on the drum to support the wheel and reduced the unsprung weight by 20 lbs.
The cost savings to Ford must have been huge..
As usual, Ford was a little slow in discontinuing the use of wire wheels. Chrysler switched to steel disk wheels in '34, GM started the change over in '34 on some of their vehicles.. Very few '35 and later GM cars had wire wheels.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

trjford8
10-18-2012 @ 9:10 AM
Senior

I suspect that old Henry went to the wide five as a cost saving measure. Cutting his cost kept the price of the cars down. He was good at saving a nickel anywhere he could. Much like putting only one door lock, rather than two, on each car.
I believe the wide five 15" wheels were an aftermarket wheel sold by Kelsey Hayes. They were marketed just the same as the General Jumbos. Car guys always have a need to make changes to the stock appearance of their cars. Wheels are the easiest thing to change to individualize a person's car. Not much different today with the fancy alloy rims we see adorning SUV's and other cars on today's roadways. I'll have to look through my Fordlife magazines as I think Lorin Sorenson did an issue on specialty wheels/tires on old Fords.

fenbach
10-18-2012 @ 8:17 PM

anybody know the right torque for the 5-wide wheel bolts?

ford38v8
10-18-2012 @ 10:57 PM
Senior

Fenbach, Lugnuts should be torqued to 75-85 ft lbs. Tighten in a star pattern in several steps.This torque value would apply regardless of the lug diameter, but is most important on the '36 - '39 10.25" bolt pattern, as the drum is subject to distortion from incorrectly tightening the lug nuts.

As a side note, wheel lugs being subject to road conditions, they and their nuts suffer corosive elements making installation and removal less than rocket science. Contrary to perfect world torqueing techniques, a single drop of motor oil per lug nut (conveniently supplied by the engine dipstick), does provide for more accurate and easier operation. If you've ever tried in vain to remove a lug nut, in the process rounding it over, you'll remember the dipstick solution forever. Due to the lubricity of the oil, the specified 75 - 85 ft lbs should be raised slightly. I take it to 90 lbs myself.

Alan

This message was edited by ford38v8 on 10-18-12 @ 11:08 PM

supereal
10-19-2012 @ 6:29 AM
Senior

Using a torque wrench to tighten lug nuts is a standard practice, and is important to prevent distortion of the braking equipment, whether drums or rotors. Too often, careless tire shops just use an air wrench on them and vastly overtighten. We found one that took over two hundred foot pounds to remove. Try that along the road sometime! Check your owner's manual for the spec. For cars, it is usually in the 65-75 range. More for trucks. My pickup, with 20" wheels, calls for 150. Always use the cross pattern, as well.

Dale Fairfax
10-19-2012 @ 6:59 AM

Can't comment with any confidence on why Ford went away from it, but as to why the went TO it; seems that any perceived weight savings in the wheel center would have been more than offset by the need to beef up the drum. Wheel mounting loads in the 5 1/2" B.C. system are born by the hubs-not the drums. As to the popularity of the "wide five" with the racers, the use on the 3/4 ton rearends was certainly a significant factor-along with the popularity of ANY Ford part but one overiding item was the better resistance to the side loading that circle track racers subjected their wheels to. In my collection of photos of the old "Roaring Roadsters", there's several shots showing flying wheel/tire assemblies-a result of the smaller B.C, centers ripping out of the wheel.

Stroker
10-19-2012 @ 3:30 PM
Senior

Dale: I think you're right regarding weight savings, as 36-39 drums have thick cast sections
and stiffening ribs on the inside. As for cost savings, if they were that much cheaper to
build than the later disc wheel 5 on 5-1/2 centers Ford would have stayed with them in 1940. The large 2-piece large diameter 36-39 hubcap cost would also have factored-in. I agree with you regarding their great strength when 15" versions are subjected to side loads. Today of course the hubs are generally alloy racing-only lightweight pieces, and the only steel in the assembly is the "rule-mandated" rim. At any rate, I like "wide-fives", but I wish someone would make repop 36-39 Ford drums, as most of ours are getting pretty "long of tooth".

VW, Porsche, & Pontiac and dirt-baller's obviously felt there were merits to the wide bolt circle, and I believe there are. Weight/cost savings are probably not the primary pluses.

Zoin
09-09-2014 @ 6:55 AM

I am trying to find out what these rims are from but for the life of me I cant find any info about them. Does anyone know what they are from?

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2 3

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org