Topic: Dual wheels on F2

caddy40    -- 06-17-2021 @ 8:43 AM
  I would like to put dual wheels on my F 2. I am interested in what the overall width, our to out of wheels would be. Anyone who has information about this would be appreciated. Thanks

truckdog62563    -- 06-21-2021 @ 12:48 PM
  Are you wanting to keep your stock SRW 16” wheels while adding spacers and a second set of outer DRWs? Determining the outer track width would depend on what wheels and tires you add, on the spacer width you select, and on the DRW spacing requirements of your selected tires. So I’m sorry I cannot give an exact answer to your question.

Back in the day Canadian F-3 trucks (the F-2 wasn’t sold in Canada) offered a DRW conversion kit. I’ll attach the brochure.

Also there were after market kits sold to convert truck to DRW. I got real lucky years ago and found one of these kits. I’ll add pics of the kit’s spacers Stu

Stu McMillan

'52 F-3 Marmon Herrington V8
'52 F-3 Marmon Herrington I6

This message was edited by truckdog62563 on 6-21-21 @ 12:56 PM

caddy40    -- 06-22-2021 @ 6:54 AM
  Thanks for the reply, my thought was to keep the standard wheels and tires with a 4 in h spacer. My calculations indicate the width would be 85 inches. Does that make sense?

truckdog62563    -- 06-25-2021 @ 8:39 AM
  I’m not a fan of the spacers that mount a second outer on top of the inner stock wheel. Strains bearings. But here’s what I’d suggest keeping in mind. Your stock 16” wheels are 6” wide. A stock 7.50-16” tire has a section width of about 8 3/4”, and my Tire and Rim Association reference says you need about 1.5” between the rear duals to avoid rubbing sidewalls. Mounting the duals with their backs to the stock inners makes for a really long spacer. If you’re planning to flip the duals backwards that’d save a few inches but isn’t how the wheels are designed to mount. Not sure they’d even mount that way.

An all round better way to go about this would be to find a common Dana with 8 x 6.5” pattern from a later dually and swap in the whole axle. Stu

Stu McMillan

'47 Tonner Marmon Herrington V8
'52 F-3 Marmon Herrington I6

caddy40    -- 06-25-2021 @ 2:13 PM
  Thanks, you have given me some good info to think about.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=21&Topic=14930