Topic: 32 King pins

Korimako    -- 11-23-2020 @ 1:05 AM
  I am just in the process of replacing my king pins and have found that the new replacements will not fit through my axle eyes. I have checked the diameter of the replacements against the diameter of a set taken out of a friends 32 roadster and they are the same diameter. So my original king pins seem to be a smaller diameter than others. Does anyone have an explanation? Should I ream my axle eyes?

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 11-23-2020 @ 3:16 PM
  ANY PHOTO'S
is this a USA built FORD,?
the KING PINS in FORD PASS are all the same diameter, but are not the same they change appearance and function from 1928 to 1948
seems to me you may have a foreign made car ?
More INFORMATION would help on what model car you have ,
hope this helps 37Ragopman
you may have a aftermarket axle in it ? custom, ? old hot rod,?
do not ream your I beam Axle

3w2    -- 11-23-2020 @ 5:59 PM
  Korimako,

Youo don't mention the bushings in your axle. Perhaps they are undersized. Normally new or NOS king pin sets come with new bushings, but inevitably they need to be reamed to create a good fit with the king pins. That's normal; reaming the axle itself is a no-no.

37RAGTOPMAN,

With respect, there's no difference in '32-'34 Ford passenger car/commercial vehicle king pins wherever in the world the vehicle was assembled or sold.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 11-24-2020 @ 12:41 PM
  3w2
That's what I thought, but was not certain and did not want to steer someone in the wrong direction
28 to 48 FORD PASS king pin bushing's are the same for the most part,
photo's sure would help trying to figure what is the problem.,
what I read was the king pin that did not fit into the I beam axle , is this correct ?
maybe the axle was modified,?
a original FORD king pin is around3/4 inch
I posted a photo of a NOS FORD KING PIN,
my cents 37Ragtopman

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=19&Topic=14352