Topic: Oil for ‘46 Flathead

wsevila    -- 10-04-2022 @ 3:19 PM
  I recently acquired a frame off restored ‘46 Super Deluxe coupe with a flat head. The car has been in storage since 2018 and I want to change the oil before driving it. Probably a very elementary question but I’ve looked on line for the brand and weight oil but get anywhere from straight 30, 10w30 and 20w50. I thought I would use Lucas Hot Rod & Classic Car with zinc but unsure of what weight. Can you recommend or refer me to a source that can advise?

carcrazy    -- 10-04-2022 @ 8:44 PM
  If you ask 10 people what oil to use, you will most likely get 10 plus different answers. Here is what I use in my Ford Flathead V-8 drivers.
Pennzoil SAE 30 Detergent Motor Oil plus Red Line Engine Oil Break-In Additive. The reasons for doing this are: the detergent keeps the engine clean and is of higher quality than non-detergent oils, the straight 30 weight oil is more stable and of a higher viscosity base stock oil than the multi-grades to reduce oil burning and leaking and this particular additive contains the required amounts of zinc and phosphorus (ZDDP) to reduce cam and tappet wear. Most modern oils, unless they are very expensive specialized oils, do not contain the required ZDDP so this additive is required for full protection of your engine. Simply follow the instructions on the label of the additive for the correct amount to use.

wmsteed    -- 10-05-2022 @ 8:16 AM
  Ditto on carcrazy' comment, with a few from my experience:
I generally use oil for diesel engines in most of my vintage vehicles which are from 1936 to '64, all V8's except the '37 GMC which is a '65 6 cylinder.
Sh*ll Rotella 20/40 is good, has all the additives required for the flat tappet engines, plus it is very stable in high heat conditions.
I recently switched my '53 Olds 88 w/303 V8 engine to Lucus Hot Rod Classic oil 20/40.
GM required high detergent oil in all of their engines starting in '49 due to their use of hydraulic lifters. I used Castorol GTX 20/50 in my '36 Ford w/59AB engine for over 40 years. I have used up my stock of old stock GTX so I am going to switch the '36 to Rotella 20/40.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=15990