Topic: 1934 V8 Distributor Question

ronchamblin@gmail.com    -- 08-25-2022 @ 7:54 PM
  I just bought a restored '34 Victoria 2-door with the original engine. It ran for 15 minutes. The distributor is the dome or helmet type. I determined that it's an ignition problem. I measured the voltage at the incoming distributor terminal, and its only 1.8 Volts ... which might be okay, but I'm thinking it should be about 3 or 4 volts. BUT .. the big question I have is this. I noticed the condenser mounted on the right side of the distributor was not connected to anything. I was about to connect the hanging wire to an appropriate terminal, but the only terminal I could find was the input from the ignition switch. Per the wiring diagram, and my prior exposure to the question, the condenser is supposed to be connected between the points and the primary winding of the coil.
I suppose the question is ... Should the condenser wire be connected to the only terminal on the distributor .. even though it would not agree with the wiring diagram?

This message was edited by ronchamblin@gmail.com on 8-25-22 @ 8:45 PM

carcrazy    -- 08-25-2022 @ 9:17 PM
  Your distributor may have two condensers. The one with the wire attached is referred to a "radio static suppressor". If you don't have a radio, you can just let it be loose. If you have a radio, connect it to the wire terminal which connects to the ignition primary circuit from the ignition switch.

Having the engine only run for 10 or 15 minutes after startup is a classic symptom of a failing coil.

ronchamblin@gmail.com    -- 08-26-2022 @ 3:38 AM
  Thanks carcrazy. Yes .. there is a radio. So there must be a single condenser inside the distributor , which I'm not familiar with yet. Okay, your info is enlightening. I'm familiar with the crab distributor, which is in my other '34. Onward to more troubleshooting. Thanks.

40 Coupe    -- 08-26-2022 @ 8:31 AM
  If you have the dome top coil and the original style distributor the ignition condenser is at the rear of the coil inside a molded bakelite tube that is part of the coil. One end of the condenser hangs out of the coil and has a small bracket that connects to one of the distributor bolts for ground. The other end of the condenser is inside the bakelite tube and connects with a screw to the coil. The head of the attachment screw can be seen under the terminal for the wireing.
1.8V is a bit low at the coil wiring terminal, but should work. When you checked the voltage the distributor points must have been closed. If they were open you should see full battery volts.
If the car is turned over do you see spark at the ends of the plug wires? Remove a plug wire and check by having it near one of the engine head studs.
I would suggest having the radio condenser wire removed before further testing until the engine starts properly.

This message was edited by 40 Coupe on 8-26-22 @ 8:56 AM

1934 Ford    -- 09-22-2022 @ 5:53 PM
  The 1934 Ford Distributor has only one condensor inside the coil housing that is the top of the distributor. .Those condensors are very hard to find in good working condition. When they get old and hot, the foil wrap inside cracks and shuts off the ignition. When it cools down the connection sometimes resumes until it gets hot again and opens again and shuts the ignition off again.
It's a problem I have been fighiting to 50 years. Somerines a good consensor will last for many years, then finding another good one can take some time. There
are people who solider the original bracket onto an 6 cylinder Chevrolet 6 volt
condensor, others jury rig another condensor to fit the slot in the coil.
Good Luck

1934 Ford's since 1972

carcrazy    -- 09-22-2022 @ 7:35 PM
  Van Pelt has the condenser for your engine.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=15903