Topic: '37 Sedan Starter click.., no start

ibshane    -- 08-14-2022 @ 2:53 PM
  So the starter on my '37 Sedan V8-85 (6V positive ground) just stopped working out of the blue. I have been driving it several times a week this summer with no issues.., and all of a sudden this morning .., no go.

The starter clicks twice, once when I push the starter button, and again when I release it. It does the same exact same thing when I push & release the test button on the starter relay.

I did just run a couple of new ground straps. Battery positive to firewall, firewall to intake manifold and then to the chassis. But I do not see where this would be a problem. Once I ran the new ground straps the engine cranked stronger then ever before!

I have never had one of these starters apart..., any good tips from you Early Ford Guru's? ________Thanks in advance!!

fordv8j    -- 08-14-2022 @ 3:37 PM
  the starter may be locked on the fly wheel, put car in high gear and rock back and forth, I even had to loosen my starter once to get mine loose, happens a lot once things get worn...good luck

carcrazy    -- 08-14-2022 @ 7:13 PM
  How old is your battery? The battery may be going bad. Take the battery to a NAPA or other reputable auto parts store to have them test the battery to see if it has any life left in it.

ibshane    -- 08-14-2022 @ 8:24 PM
  Battery is new

ibshane    -- 08-14-2022 @ 8:44 PM
  Ding, ding, ding.., we have a winner!! Thank you fordv8j.., you're the man! I put her in 3rd gear, rocked 'er hard 3 or 4 times, put it in neutral, hit the starter button & she fired right up. I wouldn't have guessed that was the problem! What was your clue? Was it because the starter clicked on both push & release of the starter button??

I am once again a happy camper!!!!

This message was edited by ibshane on 8-14-22 @ 9:29 PM

fordv8j    -- 08-15-2022 @ 5:04 PM
  been there done that...glad it worked

cliftford    -- 08-15-2022 @ 9:13 PM
  Fords from Model T'S through the flathead v8s are famous for this. Usually it is the same problem you had.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=15877