Topic: 1935 Steering Gear Box Oil Leak

pfrancis    -- 07-04-2022 @ 1:33 PM
  I have developed a relatively bad leak in the sector shaft oil seal. The seal is only about 10 years old. I use #90 gear lube and have tried to stop it (unsuccessfully) with stop leak additive. I am thinking of packing the gear box with grease to stop the leak. Does anyone have an opinion as to whether this is a good/bad idea?
Thanks for any inputs,
TR3MT

trjford8    -- 07-04-2022 @ 1:38 PM
  Many people use the John Deere Cornhead grease in the steering gear. Probably your best option.

carcrazy    -- 07-04-2022 @ 1:54 PM
  One solution to the problem of steering gear oil leaks that worked for me follows.

1. Get as much of the old 90 weight gear oil as you can out of the steering box.
2. Install John Deere Corn Head Grease in the steering box.

This stuff really works. Do not force too much into the steering box. Put the tube of grease into a grease gun that you have dedicated for this lubricant. Hold the grease gun discharge tube over the fill hole of the gearbox and allow the lube to flow into the box. You may still have a small leak until all of the old 90 weight gear oil is out of the box. After that the unit should be essentially leak free.

This product can be purchased at John Deere tractor supply stores. It is available in 14 oz. tubes under part number AN102562. This should solve your steering box oil leaking problem and is much easier than replacing the oil seal.

40 Coupe    -- 07-05-2022 @ 5:02 AM
  Most of the time they leak from the connection point of the light switch. If it is leaking from the sector seal why not remove the seal and replace it with new?

wmsteed    -- 07-05-2022 @ 11:29 AM
  I put STP or "Motor Honey" in the steering gear box of my '36 Ford in 1955, the gear box is actually a '40 gear box, never had a problem with leaks since.
The STP oil additive is very difficult to pore into the gear box, however, using a small funnel and letting the STP sit in the sun for awhile will make the STP very fluid.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

same    -- 07-05-2022 @ 1:52 PM
  re: steering box lube. corn head style grease worked great for my '37 steer box. easy to inject into small opening with accessory needle style tube with zerk thats included from harbor frt. i believe where i got it. it just fits into grease gun coupler. Tom.

1931 Flamingo    -- 07-06-2022 @ 5:49 AM
  Penn-Rite steering box lube=NO leakee.
Paul in CT

Grant    -- 07-06-2022 @ 7:25 PM
  Voila .........

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=15786