Topic: 1935 Ford coupe engine transmission removal

BIRUDY    -- 06-01-2022 @ 5:32 AM
  Have my "barn find" 35 - 3 window coupe home and want to remove engine and transmission.

The rad, grill, front bumper, intake, distributor and spark plug leads, generator have all been removed.
I have loosened the 2 front engine mounts..

I need assistance/direction in knowing what are the next steps;
removal of gear shift lever
removal of transmission mounts
drive shaft connection
any other required steps.

(have removed speedometer cable, temperature probe, clutch linkage)

This is my first car of this vintage (have restored quite a few cars of the fifties and sixties era).

The car had been stored since 1990 and is remarkable condition. Car was put into storage due to lack of funds to deal with overheating problems.. engine has a "tight" spot as you rotate the crankshaft.

The car was restored in the seventies and has all original panels and no rust.
Plan is to keep car pretty much original ... will change engine to rebuilt and updated 24 bolt version but will keep original engine aside.

Any help/advice will be greatly appreciated .. Thx Rudy

(will post a few pictures as it emerges from the barn and after a wash and cleaning)

This message was edited by BIRUDY on 6-1-22 @ 5:36 AM

40cpe    -- 06-01-2022 @ 7:08 AM
  It sounds like you are on the right track. You are fortunate to find such a car, congratulations. It deserves the best you can give it. Your experience restoring other cars will help you to work through putting it back on the road. Since you are changing it from original, the only things I can suggest is to consider a transmission with the '39 up synchronizers and a quality radiator.

trjford8    -- 06-01-2022 @ 7:35 AM
  Excellent find. You should consider the purchase of two V-8 Club books. The '35-'36 Ford book and the V-8 Engine book. Both can be purchased by using the "On-Line store" in the left hand menu of this site. Both books will be very helpful to you with your new purchase. I'm envious.

nelsb01    -- 06-01-2022 @ 8:42 AM
  It sounds like you have removed the floor board and can see the transmission.
The shift mechanism has a cup on top that screws off. Have a magnetic tool near by as there is a small pin on the passenger side of the shift tower that needs to come out on the side --- and not drop into the transmission. If you are rebuilding the transmission it would be OK to fall in there -- but lets not let that happen. The transmission shifter should pull straight up.
OR...........you could just remove the bolts for the transmission top and save the above step.

There is a two piece cover around the front u-joint (just behind the rear end of the transmission) that you will have to remove to get to the u-joint. This is also part of the rear transmission mount.
With the items that you have said you have removed, you should be able to remove the engine and transmission at the same time out the front of the frame. Dont forget to remove the exhaust pipes or exhaust manifolds.
You dont have to do it as one, but if you dont, you will need to support the front of the transmission when pulling the engine.
You will of course need a 'cherry picker' to pull the engine.
You can remove the transmission once the engine is out, through the passenger compartment.

Good luck and remember, the parts are heavy (no open toe shoes)
Hope this helps --and yes, purchase the 1035-1936 Ford Book that the Club offers on the Online Store menu item on the left side of this page.

ford38v8    -- 06-01-2022 @ 10:48 AM
  Exhaust manifold bolts can become an expensive learning experience for a mechanic unfamiliar with the Ford flathead. The subject deserves more than a quick and simple answer here, so in a nutsh*ll, keep your wits about you when dealing with them.

Alan

nelsb01    -- 06-01-2022 @ 11:13 AM
  And.......................heat can be your friend.

BIRUDY    -- 06-01-2022 @ 1:57 PM
  Thanks to all for the good advice.. Engine and transmission are out all if one piece and no issues save a little spilt oil. Previous owner had filled the engine with as much oil as he could fit in.
Have removed transmission from the engine, clutch and fly wheel are out as is the starter and exhaust manifolds.
will look into getting a 39 or newer? transmission

This message was edited by BIRUDY on 6-1-22 @ 2:14 PM

mfirth    -- 06-01-2022 @ 4:41 PM
  NICE car & the internals look good to me. Love it!

ford38v8    -- 06-01-2022 @ 5:47 PM
  A top loader case with 91A shifting fork and 39-48 gears is what you need. Best top loader case was the 78 prefix, but I believe your case will also work. Transmission mounts are interchangeable, so don’t let that stop you.

Alan

JM    -- 06-10-2022 @ 12:41 PM
  You have found a very nice '35 3w coupe!! Good luck with your project.

John

dean333    -- 06-15-2022 @ 4:13 PM
  Some guys have all the luck, sheesh. Although I did recently acquire a 37 Fordoor from the fourth generation of the same family since new.

TIM CARLIG

JM    -- 06-16-2022 @ 3:49 AM
  Tim, the '37 flat back sedans are also very nice cars to own. Fordor sedans make great touring cars.

John

trjford8    -- 06-16-2022 @ 8:06 AM
  '37 fordor flat backs are not very common, they are a great tour car.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=15711