Topic: 36 brake pedal return spring

dean333    -- 01-16-2022 @ 12:31 PM
  Would someone please post a photo of how the brake pedal return spring looks installed? Thanks, Tim

TIM CARLIG

dean333    -- 01-21-2022 @ 8:54 AM
  No one???

TIM CARLIG

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 01-21-2022 @ 9:57 AM
  HI Tim
I got this photo out of the FORD GREEN BIBLE page 18
the spring is number 2472 and looks like it is attached to the chassis and the pedal linkage,
BOOKS do help
hope this helps 37Ragtopman , Maine
ASLO in the clevis pin that goes in to hold the rod in,,, has a groove for the return spring to hold on too
so make sure you have the correct clevis pin, and make sure you put the cotter pin in it,

This message was edited by 37RAGTOPMAN on 1-21-22 @ 4:34 PM

nelsb01    -- 01-21-2022 @ 10:04 AM
  I believe the spring you are asking about is 48-2472 which connects from the back of the frame cross member to the brake cross shaft.
It is a bugger to install unless you have a 21 year old weight lifter with really strong hands and arms.
The zig zag hook end goes through the back of the cross member. The hole in the center.
Connect a long nose vise grips on it when you are ready to stretch the spring to hold it in place.
The hook end of the spring will require a high strength piece of wire about 12 inches long and then connect both ends as an electrician would do with electric wires. (do not use copper wire --steel only)
You will now need another person and a come along or a high strength nylon rachet strap.
Hook the rachet strap around the front axle, and hook the wire loop that you created to the hook end of the spring and the hook on the rachet strap.
Have the other person rachet the strap and when the hook of the spring is over the center shaft of the brake cross shaft, tap it down over the shaft.
Now, release pressure from the rachet strap and then cut the wire loop. Carefully pull the wire out from under the spring hook. Now carefully release the vise grips from the other end of the spring.

It can be done with one person, but two is better.

Good luck. This is what I did last fall.
There are probably other ways to do it, this worked for me.

This message was edited by nelsb01 on 1-21-22 @ 10:06 AM

40 Coupe    -- 01-21-2022 @ 10:20 AM
  36 brake and clutch pedal use the same spring, photo below. The attachment point for the brake pedal return is just to the outside of the rear motor mount. The hole in the mount is for the clutch pedal spring. See page 82 in the restoration book.

TomO    -- 01-22-2022 @ 8:53 AM
  When I have a strong spring to install, I like to use flat washers between the coils of the spring to make it long enough to fit. You can bend the spring to get the space needed for the washers.

Tom

dean333    -- 08-14-2022 @ 12:18 PM
  Anyone have a photo of the underside view?
Can the spring be accessed from the top by removing the trans floor cover?
TIM CARLIG

This message was edited by dean333 on 8-14-22 @ 1:23 PM

Jacques1960    -- 08-14-2022 @ 2:23 PM
  TomO - Very clever !

dean333    -- 08-14-2022 @ 3:15 PM
  Nels the picture on p82 of the restoration book appears to show the zig zag end would go towards the back, wherever that end connects.

TIM CARLIG

nelsb01    -- 08-14-2022 @ 4:58 PM
  That spring just hooks through the hole in the back of the frame cross member - and the tension keeps it there. And that is why it is so hard to install.
BUT -- once installed does it help to return the center brake cross shaft back into position.

This message was edited by nelsb01 on 8-14-22 @ 7:38 PM

dean333    -- 08-15-2022 @ 11:34 AM
  I have to go with 40coupe. I can’t see how the zig zag end would connect. The book shows the clutch and brake pedal springs looking the same. I removed the floor board and it’s right in the open. I ordered a clutch spring from C&G.

TIM CARLIG

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=15433