Topic: Electric Fan for Stock 59A

42Flattman    -- 06-16-2021 @ 7:48 AM
  Good Morning
I have a '42 Ford Tudor Sedan with stock 221 V8 (owned for 1 year now and my first flathead - so still am a novice)......it has a bit of a cooling issue as I understand many have.....90-95° day driving around it seems to run in the "normal" range pretty well......if I stop and sit at idle for 2 to 3 minutes it will creep right on up to the HOT......I am thinking I may add an electric fan to help with this issue.....(I am not a "purist" and have already made a few minor changes under the hood so adding the fan is not going to make a difference that way). I am looking for recommendations from any of you who have already went down this road....Speedway & Summit seem to carry a wide variety but I really don't have much of a clue of what I really need.
Any positive input will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance.
(Reference Pics - 1 yr ago vs. now)

1931 Flamingo    -- 06-16-2021 @ 11:00 AM
  What condition is your radiator in?? Are you running t/stats.
The engine should NOT overheat idling....................
How are you measuring "hot"?? Is it boiling over??
Get a point and shoot temp gun at Harbor Freight and take some readings, top of radiator and bottom of radiator. If radiator good you should see a 25-30* difference between the top and bottom. FWIW
Paul in CT

mfirth    -- 06-18-2021 @ 5:10 AM
  You need to know the "real" temp. As flamingo said a hand gun is a good idea. Factory gauges that old aren't very accurate. I installed a mechanical gauge in each head for honest temp. Thermostats are a must. Not sure for your year, but i ran 180 stats in both 8BAs & they run cooler than with 160s. You should post on the Ford Barn too, good help there also. My knowlege & experience pale next to most of these guys.

supereal    -- 06-18-2021 @ 1:34 PM
  Before you try an electric fan, determine the apparent cause of overheating. Years ago, when I found my '47 convertible, it would come to a boil with a trip around the block. The cure was the purchase of a new radiator. Expensive, yes, but the car runs cool even in this brutally hot summer, in traffic and on the road. There are lots of possibilities, such as dragging brakes caused by a faulty master cylinder, a stuck thermostat in one of the hoses, or an ailing water pump, among others. An electric fan seldom cures the problem, and most require more power than a stock system can provide.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=14929