Topic: '36 Battery Too Big - Optima at an Angle?

smithcandrew1036V8    -- 02-08-2021 @ 3:40 PM
  The modern 6V battery in my '36 Phaeton (which was there when I got it) is too large and I noticed that it is tearing the mat. Thinking about solutions. I searched this forum and saw were several folks had tried different things, but the pros and cons did not seem completely clear. Here are the options as I see it:

(1) Modify batter box to accommodate modern battery. Pro, it would fit. Con, it would modify the battery box.
(2) Buy reproduction Ford Script battery that fits the box. Pro, it would fit. Con, they are crazy expensive and I can't even tell who actually makes the batteries I have found online.
(3) Go with 6V Optima and mount sideways, or on angle. Pro, I (think) it would fit and reputable battery. Con, it is a modern battery under the car and will probably cost points at a strict show.

I am thinking about Option 3, the Optima. My thinking is that there are enough other things on my car that will cost me points and are easier and cheaper to replace. And, I mostly have the car to have fun. Question I have, is how many others have tried the Optima mounted on an angle, and if so, how did you do it? Any issues. Also open to folks to tell me all of these options are silly and I have no idea what I am doing (which is true).

Also, has anyone installed a solenoid battery disconnect? If so, thoughts?

Thanks all.

kubes40    -- 02-08-2021 @ 4:22 PM
  I'd installed one in a friends '36 roadster two years ago at an angle. The battery doesn't know or care what angle it's installed at.
As this was a "down & dirty" installation, I'd simply utilized one of those cheap 1" wide ratchet straps after placing a length of split heater hose on the edge of the tray.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

flatheadfan    -- 02-09-2021 @ 12:20 AM
  Another possibility is a raised battery cover. I believe Larry Cossar made them (check the V8 master listing)

Tom

trjford8    -- 02-09-2021 @ 6:24 AM
  Years ago when I had a 33 Ford sedan I used an early Volkswagen battery in it. It fit below the floor. VW batteries were placed under the rear seat so they were not very tall. I have no idea if that size battery is still available, but there are a lot of early VWs still around.

1934 Ford    -- 02-22-2021 @ 7:02 AM
  The rear seat in your Phaeton is elevated, as is the rear seat in my 34 Fordor. I moved the battery
box to beneath the back seat on the drivers side. The battery cut off switch remains in front of the front seat. You probably need new cables anyway. My solution: keeps the battery out of sight and does not hang down below the frame rails. Now it fits the Optima in upright position or 6 Volt
tractor batteries.
Lift the rear seat cushion, remove the new battery box cover and access your 6 volt battery.
I think Ford should have done that instead of that below the drivers feet idea as original.
Additional benefit is the dual exhausts now fit mush better. Plus I can keep the Battery Tender
wired up under the rear seat with only the plug exposed.

1934 Ford's since 1972

jec13    -- 04-14-2021 @ 6:45 PM
  I used the steel floor battery cover plate as a template to cut and paint plywood shims to fit. The shims raise the floor cover 1 inch, enough extra clearance to allow modern Napa commercial 6v battery. Coupling nuts extend the hold-down brackets. Looks and works fine, floor mat covers perfectly.

sarahcecelia    -- 04-15-2021 @ 2:25 PM
  I bought a repro Ford Script 6v battery for my 50 edan for $85 with a 3 year warranty locally at; West Florida Battery, Port Richey. Florida, about 1 year ago. Shop around! They are not all 3-400 hundred dollars!!

Regards, Steve Lee

supereal    -- 04-18-2021 @ 12:12 PM
  I have an Optima in my 47. To use the stock battery tray, I have a wooden box to hold the battery from corner to corner. To help the appearance I painted the box black and routed the top to resemble a regular battery, with holes for the poles. Three plastic caps completed the appearance. I did have to fabricate longer hold-down bolts as the finished box was a bit too high for the bracket. As for a cutoff switch, I use the common "green knob" kind that sits on the battery pole. Inexpensive, and if you want to prevent theft, just unscrew the knob and take it with you.

rdt52flthd    -- 04-18-2021 @ 12:31 PM
  My 52 Tudor is a driver, & not perfect, but good. I have an Optima. At a show with the hood up, a father explained to his son, "look at the funny batteries they used to have!"

Best to all, rdtflthd

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=14591