Topic: 1950 car Instrument Bulbs

sarahcecelia    -- 12-02-2020 @ 7:10 AM
  Since the phosphorus on the lettering 0n the instrument panel has diminished from sun light, I want to install Green (6) volt bulbs, like those that are in there now. If those aren't available, GREEN LED bulbs, in the ((4) instrument positions. (I think LED's would be too bright.)

Where can either of the (2) be purchased??

Regards, Steve Lee

This message was edited by sarahcecelia on 12-2-20 @ 7:49 AM

Kens 36    -- 12-02-2020 @ 9:30 AM
  Steve.

After removing the blacklight shields, I spray painted my bulbs green. Works great.

Ken

flatheadron    -- 12-03-2020 @ 6:21 AM
  I have recently fixed my dash lights. Hardest part is removing the cluster from the dash. After removing the black light filters, I used 6v LED's from "superbrightleds.com". I used their blue LED's. Great light and nice color. Before this change I could not see anything on the cluster at light. I also changed all the bulbs in the dash to these. Used their green LED's for the turn signal indicators. Clock was the only disappointment. Mine has only one bulb, some have two, so the clock light is dim, more of a glow. Also used them in the radio dial. Would suggest these to anyone.

Model B    -- 12-03-2020 @ 7:01 AM
  I have an extra '50 cluster that I have been experimenting with. I removed the filters and the originals bulbs works a lot better. Then I removed the original bulbs and used clear LEDs and they also looked good. You can see the difference in the pictures below. I will need to install a shield around the bright lights indicator though...as you can see. When I lose a few more lbs....I'll attempt to install this cluster in my car!

LED lights on the left and original bulbs without the filters on the right.

This message was edited by Model B on 12-3-20 @ 7:02 AM

TomO    -- 12-03-2020 @ 7:18 AM
  You can use a variable resister to reduce the voltage to the LED bulbs and that will reduce the amount of light that they provide.

I don't remember if the 50 Ford had a dimmer for the dash lights on the light switch, but if it does, that is what I would use.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=14374