Topic: '46 Odometer Repair

51woodie    -- 10-02-2020 @ 4:19 PM
  The odometer in my '46 Super Deluxe quit at 859999. I decided with Covid, shipping and customs costs to Canada, I'd take a shot at it myself. After disassembly I confirmed that the reels on the odometer were jammed, and cause one of the drive gears that transitions from outside to inside the frame to spin on the shaft. That was an easy fix. I cleaned the end of the shaft and the gear hub then soldered them together. The problem with the odometer seems to be that the 4th 5th and 6th reels are progressively stiffer, so when the odometer rolled to 9999, the accumulated resistance overstressed the drive gear train. I have looked at how to disassemble the reels to clean and lube, but I can figure out how they come apart. Anyone have any experience with this process?

Jacques1960    -- 10-02-2020 @ 6:13 PM
  Retaining clip on the end with the plastic gear ? Have to say Ive always looked to others (N Hollywood, Bob, et al.) for this - you’re brave !

51woodie    -- 10-03-2020 @ 11:33 AM
  Jacques. There are no clips on either end of the shaft. It seems the end plates were pressed on with a fairly tight tolerance, as I can't get the plates to move. I have been working at lubing/freeing the last three reels, as I can't disassemble the reels to clean and lube. Trying to work clock oil down the keyway in the shaft to lube the reels. Spinning the 1/10 reel by hand, to get the other reels to rotate to new positions to work the oil in is tedious.

Anyone else have any suggestions?

Jacques1960    -- 10-03-2020 @ 12:14 PM
  I checked some of the on line Stewart Warner literature and came up dry. Regrets.

Jacques1960    -- 10-03-2020 @ 12:22 PM
  Drum wheel is shown as a single part in the manual; find it hard to believe these cannot be disassembled without causing damage

51woodie    -- 10-03-2020 @ 4:56 PM
  Thank you Jacques. I gave up trying to get the odometer apart, but I did get all the reels turning properly, after working some clock oil into the reels via the keyway in the shaft. The problem was, as I suspected, being the reels were stiff to turn, and the collective resistance caused the reels to jam when it trying to rotate the 1000 mile reel. Now all I have to do is put another 1000 miles on the old girl to see if my fix works.

woodiewagon46    -- 10-03-2020 @ 5:01 PM
  In looking at your first photograph, I would think that they loaded the number wheels first and then pressed on the brass gear to capture everything. If that's the case, getting the gear off without damaging anything is a tough one.

51woodie    -- 10-04-2020 @ 10:25 AM
  Woodiewagon. Believe me, I tried to get the reels off the shaft, but I didn't want to risk of damage. Those end plated are on very tight. During my search for "how to", I found a good YouTube graphic, that shows the assembly of a more modern speedo/odometer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FufK4aYnsA0

woodiewagon46    -- 10-04-2020 @ 12:21 PM
  You may need to get a new number assembly from another speedometer. If the number 859999 is something you want to keep I think at one time they sold number decals for the '46-'48 speedometer. I know it's frustrating, but sometimes some part's can't be fixed.

51woodie    -- 10-04-2020 @ 5:18 PM
  woodie. I thought about calling speedometer rebuilders, to see if I could get a replacement reel assy.. But I think the jamming problem would still be there on an old one that was not disassembled, cleaned and assembled. Mine is working, now that I got the reels free to rotate.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=14213