Topic: hood prop

riverrat    -- 09-13-2020 @ 1:11 PM
  I recently acquired a 1937 business coupe which appears to have no means of keeping the hood open. I see catalogs which list hood springs for 39 and later models but nothing that applies to a 37. Surely not everyone uses a wooden stick like I do.

1937sedandelivery    -- 09-13-2020 @ 1:30 PM
  I use the stock hood support arrangement for my 37's. It works good, but be careful when closing the hood. When the hood is in an open (up) condition, don't just press down on it to close it. Rather, lift the hood a little to unlock the support mechanism and then gently let the hood down.
gregg

JayChicago    -- 09-13-2020 @ 1:52 PM
  Welcome to the Forum. Glad to have you with us. Lots of experienced guys here who are happy to share their experience with fellow V8 owners. However you will often see different opinions on things, so you will have to decide whats right for you and your car.

When I first got my '37 hot rod I asked where I could buy the missing hood prop, just as you have done.

37ford38V8 posted this reply:
"Jay, congratulations! That is a beauty! The hood prop you seek, while correct for the car, was removed by the previous owner for good reason. While being an ingenious design, it was not right for the application, and caused most (yes, MOST) hoods to be severely damaged upon being closed without first ratcheting the hood prop...Alan"

I posted this response:
" Thanks for that advise, Allen. I certainly don't want to bend the hood, and can see how that could easily happen. I think I'll try to come up with a hood prop that will provide support at the front of the hood. One nice thing about this conglomerated vehicle, sure don't need to be concerned about staying correct!"

I now use an aftermarket telescoping aluminum hood support with rubber ends, which rides in the trunk. For daily use in the garage, I made a broom handle with plastic ends. Base of the improvised hood props rest on the thin rod tying the two fenders, just in front of the radiator. (rests next to a fender, not mid-span) Top of prop slips under the hood latch, to avoid scratching the hood paint.

If you want to stay correct, you will have to find a used prop. As you have found, that part has not been reproduced. It may not be too difficult to find since many were deliberately removed. You can place a free ad in the "parts wanted" classifieds section of this web site.

This message was edited by JayChicago on 9-13-20 @ 3:25 PM

Jacques1960    -- 09-13-2020 @ 6:05 PM
  With the radiator diagonals shown, a sliding prop adapted from a Jeepster would work very well and provide a more centered, less-stressed support for the nose of the hood.

40 Coupe    -- 09-14-2020 @ 4:45 AM
  You will find an original hood prop on the HAMB of Fordbarn.com in the for sale section.

3w2    -- 09-14-2020 @ 7:09 AM
  1937sedandelivery,

Thanks for saving me the trouble of digging out that photo of my cabriolet's hood prop from my photo files.

Dave

1937sedandelivery    -- 09-14-2020 @ 7:28 AM
  Dave,
I sent you a PM. Hope it was ok for me to use your photo.
gregg

JayChicago    -- 09-14-2020 @ 7:48 AM
  That is a great picture, of a beautiful car.

therunwaybehind    -- 09-14-2020 @ 8:48 AM
  Fortunately, in these days of self service you do not find an expectation to let someone brutal and unversed in care who insists it is his JOB to check the oil and water in your car. I can assure that after the hood is damaged the owner of the service station will not compensate you or obtain repair. He in fact will laugh at you for being what in these days is called "not being user friendly." A caveat from the 70's? Chet at the Standard station on Lampson just off Los Alamitos in Seal Beach, California. As far as the prop goes, do you know anyone who owns a classic Mustang?

TonyM    -- 09-14-2020 @ 2:31 PM
  River Rat.

There is no such thing as a 1937 Ford "Business Coupe."

Ford Motor Company did not manufacture a "Business Coupe" in 1937.

Ford produced three coupe types in 1937:

Ford Coupe

Ford De Luxe Coupe

Ford Club Coupe

You might want to purchase the Club's 1937 Ford Book, which is full of accurate information concerning 1937 Ford automobiles.

Congrats on the car and good luck with it.

https://shop.efv8.org/collections/ford-books/products/1937-ford-book-softbound

78-730B

This message was edited by TonyM on 9-14-20 @ 2:33 PM

riverrat    -- 09-14-2020 @ 4:55 PM
  ok. ignorance is bliss. I have no back seat and a huge trunk that goes through to the passenger compartment. I always thought that was how one defined a business coupe. If not that what is it and how do I tell the difference?

riverrat    -- 09-14-2020 @ 5:05 PM
  After looking at your pictures (I am new to old Fords, been a sports car guy til now) My car has a chrome grill and a 85hp engine, but is it normal for the coupe to have no back seat. This car does not appear to have been altered.

riverrat    -- 09-14-2020 @ 5:09 PM
  My third and hopefully final reply. My front seat has a fixed frame that would make it impossible to fold it forward to let someone into where a back seat would be.

1931 Flamingo    -- 09-15-2020 @ 5:30 AM
  Are you sure it won't lift from the BOTTOM where the bottom cushion meets the back cushion??
Paul in CT

TomO    -- 09-15-2020 @ 7:45 AM
  You have a Deluxe Coupe, 5 window. Here is a link to the sales brochure:
http://www.oldcarbrochures.com/static/NA/Ford/1937_Ford/1937%20Ford%20Full%20Line%20Brochure/image5.html

Many people call your body style a Business Coupe and Ford called it that in some years and in other years just called it a Coupe. Ford was very inconsistent in the nomenclature with calling the car a Coupe in sales literature and then calling it a business coupe in parts catalogs in several yeats.

Tom

TonyM    -- 09-16-2020 @ 10:15 PM
  Quote: "After looking at your pictures (I am new to old Fords, been a sports car guy til now) My car has a chrome grill and a 85hp engine, but is it normal for the coupe to have no back seat. This car does not appear to have been altered."

Chrome grill, two windshield wipers, two tail lights, bright windshield trim, stainless steel running board trim, Banjo steering wheel, nicer seats, all add up to De Luxe. Door panels and interior trim are different from Standard to De Luxe. Only one windshield wiper, painted grill, body color windshield frame, and one tail light, bare bones car equip what many call a "Standard".

The Club's 1937 Ford Book will help you with the correct ID of your car.

Only the "Club Coupe" had a back seat. The Ford Coupe and the De Luxe Coupe had no rear seat. I can't see the photo that TomO is referring to.

Again, good luck with the car.

78-730B

This message was edited by TonyM on 9-16-20 @ 10:18 PM

jeremiahquellette    -- 11-06-2022 @ 4:02 AM
  A wooden stick is an option. However, you can weld a folding tube there.

whittakerturbeville    -- 11-06-2022 @ 4:08 AM
  In fact, it's strange for such a retro car. After all, they often overheat, and previously the hood was lifted every time they wanted to cool the car. There was no good cooling system in such models yet.

martinaperez    -- 11-06-2022 @ 8:12 AM
  Recently I was thinking about what I want to buy more: a Ford retro car or a Ford sports car. The price of the two options is different, and my possibilities are not unlimited. For the sake of a sports car, I'll need to take out a loan. I really want to buy a Ford Mustang 2022. I've already read about this model here. I have considered many sports cars, but Fords will always be my favorite. Many of you'll understand me. Comfort is important to me at the moment. But, in the next two years, I'll buy a Ford Granada to make short trips on it.

fordv8j    -- 11-06-2022 @ 3:16 PM
  on our 38 deluxe business coupe the seat hinges up ...pull out on the bottom of the back rest; also has a thing to hold it up

JayChicago    -- 11-06-2022 @ 3:58 PM
  Huh?
This thread is two years old. Now out of the blue three new posts, by three individuals new to the forum, all posted at the same time. And the posts are jibberish. Must have been posted by the same individual using different names.
But why?

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=14160