Topic: 1936 Greyhound Research

Ketronj281989    -- 08-28-2020 @ 4:46 AM
  Hi guys,

Attached are pictures of the greyhound accessory found on my 1936 year car. From my research the greyhound hood attachment was a dealer accessory an owner could purchase back in pre-1937 selling year cars.

There are a lot of reproductions out there and I want to be sure what I have is an genuine original greyhound accessory that was purchased in 1936.

My 1936 Tudor Touring Deluxe to my knowledge an original ordered deluxe car complete with banjo steering wheel, mirror clock, radio, full line of instrument gauges, chrome grille, chrome horn grille's, chrome window frame, two tail lights, and accessory polished trim rings around wheels. All of these features point to an original greyhound so it would seem if they went all out on ordering the deluxe features new in 1936.

Could you all please evaluate this greyhound and give me your expert opinions as to if this is a genuine original 1936 accessory or an aftermarket later reproduction.

One thing to mention, underside of greyhound is stamped " F 36". Prior to polishing, greyhound chrome patina matched that of the grille and other metal items on car. I have since polished the greyhound, hood pictures show the greyhound polished. To my knowledge the greyhound has been on the car for a very long time if not since new in 1936. I do not have any solid evidence of this though and hope you all can help out.

Thanks

Jon Ketron
1936 Ford V8 Deluxe Tudor Touring Sedan

Ketronj281989    -- 08-28-2020 @ 4:47 AM
  More photos

Jon Ketron

Ketronj281989    -- 08-28-2020 @ 4:48 AM
  More photos

Jon Ketron

Ketronj281989    -- 08-28-2020 @ 4:50 AM
  More photos

Jon Ketron

Ketronj281989    -- 08-28-2020 @ 4:52 AM
  Last two photos, thanks.

Jon Ketron

kubes40    -- 08-28-2020 @ 5:21 AM
  Jon,
I'm eager to see the replies the '36 expert(s) weigh in with. Lord knows I've a lot to learn about '36 Fords and learn I will with their help.
I had understood that domestic '36 Fords did not offer a Greyhound ornament. Yes? No?

I do know that accessories offered at dealers were not necessarily Ford authorized. I wonder if that's the case here.
C'mon experts... tell me please

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

Kens 36    -- 08-28-2020 @ 8:15 AM
  OK, Mike, I’ll bite. I’m not an expert like Don and David and our late friend John Swanberg, but I’ve read quite a bit on this subject.

Jon, being that your ’36 is an Ohio car, your greyhound is almost certainly an aftermarket item. Whether it was sold by the dealer at the time of purchase cannot be known in the absence of documentation of the sale, but it was not a Ford-authorized accessory. There were a number of after-market manufacturers back “in the day.”

While Ford in the U.S. did not offer such an accessory, Ford of Canada did, as has been well documented by Don Rogers. Don has further stated that Ford of Canada supplied the accessory greyhound on all DeLuxe ’36 Fords when they introduced the wood-grained dash in mid-1936.

There is a long-standing belief that an “original” greyhound can be distinguished from aftermarket by the presence of a free-standing tail. In fact, the ’36 brochure from Ford of Canada appears to show the tail attached to the rear leg.

Ken

wmsteed    -- 08-28-2020 @ 8:29 AM
  My 36 Ford 5 window, manufactured late Aug '36 is a delux car that has just about every accessory in the book, including a Columbia and the tool box located over the right wheel well. The tool box is reputedly a rumble seat option.
An anomaly on my car is the "Aug 36" spare tire cover, reputedly a Standard tire cover, in lieu of the common '36 tire cover.
I am the second owner of the car, have owned it since Sept 52. the odometer had 51.k and change when I bought the car.
With all of the accessories on my '36, one could assume that the original owner of the car went nuts buying everything in the book, however, he did not opt for a greyhound.
I believe that it has been well documented that the majority of the accessories installed on new cars during the '30's/40's were dealer installed.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

therunwaybehind    -- 08-28-2020 @ 8:44 AM
  It's my understanding that the greyhound "hood ornament" was a Lincoln part.

3w2    -- 08-28-2020 @ 9:54 AM
  Cast bronze Greyhound radiator caps were standard equipment on classic era Lincolns starting in 1925, three years after Ford acquired the Company and remained standard equipment through the 1934 model year (a plain, so-called "driving" cap was available as a no-cost option). With the relocation of the radiator filler to beneath the hood starting with the 1935 models and the Greyhound became just a radiator sh*ll ornament until the end of the last of the "big" Lincolns in 1939. In all instances, the tail was free standing.

With the '34 models, Ford offered a Stant-manufactured die cast zinc Greyhound radiator cap as an authorized accessory. Like the Lincoln caps and radiator ornaments, its tail was freestanding. Except for the Ford of Canada 1936 model exception, Ford did not offer a Greyhound cap or ornament as an authorized accessory during any other model year.

As indicated above there were several makers of aftermarket caps and ornaments, none of whose caps were a Ford-authorized accessory and none had free-standing tails. If a customer wanted one, a Ford dealer would likely be happy to furnish an aftermarket product. In recent times, some other not-originally-offered-by-Ford versions such as Greyhound caps for '32s and '33s have been created.

P.S. Your Columbia rear axle is another example of a non-Ford-authorized accessory either sold and installed by a Ford dealer or other seller/installer of the Columbia axles.

kubes40    -- 08-28-2020 @ 11:38 AM
  Hey Bill (wmsteed) , Your Columbia may have been installed by the dealer back in '36 but it was not an authorized accessory.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

wmsteed    -- 08-29-2020 @ 11:17 AM
  I know that the Columbia's were dealer installed and for many years were not considered to be original equipment by the EFV8 Club.
As I stated in my earlier contribution to this thread, it is well documented that the majority of the accessories on the vehicles of the '30's/40's were dealer installed.
I worked in a Ford Dealership in Eastern Idaho during the early '50's. The majority of the vehicles we processed in the new car prep area came in very plain, standard hood ornaments, steering wheels, hub caps, radio/heater, etc. Ford saved a lot of money in freight charges per vehicle, even to the point that the vehicles came in DRY, no oil, water, fuel. Hub caps were locked in the trunk.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

kubes40    -- 08-29-2020 @ 12:12 PM
  Columbia overdrive's were not considered to be original equipment for the fact that they were not original equipment.
The fact that you bought your car from the original owner in 1952 doesn't hold a lot of "proof" that it's just like it left the dealer. The car was sixteen years old when you bought it and worth nearly nothing. A lot happened to that car just to keep it on the road in those first sixteen years.
And, even if the original owner provided you a receipt from the original dealership to the first owner, does not mean everything installed is correct.
We all know dealers loaded up the cars with whatever they could to make a profit. That has zero (necessarily) to do with what's correct.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

3w2    -- 08-29-2020 @ 4:48 PM
  The key words are "Ford authorized or released accessory", not "dealer installed accessory" when it comes to as-delivered authenticity.

Ketronj281989    -- 08-29-2020 @ 6:02 PM
  I appreciate all the responses guys. Many thanks; and thanks for the corrections on the greyhound, still new and learning a lot so far.

So we know this greyhound is an "non-Ford authorized domestic accessory" since this was a domestic car (thank you for this clarification). Although, perhaps a possibility that a Ford dealer provided this aftermarket greyhound back in 1936 upon customer purchase of this car brand new if requested by the customer (or dealer promotion). Is there any way to tell what year this aftermarket greyhound was manufactured??? "F 36" resides casted into the metal underneath the ornament attachment area if this provides any clues. I would really like to discover if this is a genuine 1930's era manufactured aftermarket part for 1936 or something made "later" after the 1930's time period. The fit and finish mount over the "V8" on the previous pictures shows a rather interesting fit over the "8". The metal arched edge is not a perfect fit siting behind the "8".

If this is a period aftermarket part that we know was produced in the 1930's (1936) I will leave it on the car. If its a re-pro made after WWII, I will likely take it off the car. The only thing that has me scratching my head is the patina of the greyhound (prior to polishing) matched that of the original grille and surrounding original metal areas (this car has never been restored cosmetically/mechanically). I would think if a greyhound was added later the patina would not match the rest of the original metal patina on the car. Just a thought.

Please let me know your thoughts, would like to close out this head scratcher!

Jon Ketron

Steve Kennedy    -- 08-30-2020 @ 8:09 PM
  Bill, so as not to hijack this thread, in a separate thread, please post a picture of your '36 5W with Rumble Seat TOOL BOX. I think I have replicated it, but would appreciate seeing an original.
Steve

Don Rogers    -- 08-30-2020 @ 8:58 PM
  Jon, Most of these after market dogs were produced during the 35-36 model years. Ads for these dogs appeared in Ford Dealer and Service News during that time period. Ford Dealer and Service Field was a non Ford authorized publication sent to Ford dealers advertising a multitude of after market items for Ford cars and trucks.

Don Rogers    -- 08-30-2020 @ 9:02 PM
  Un-offical early greyhound prototype......LOL!!!

kirkstad    -- 08-31-2020 @ 10:21 AM
  Thank's for that last post Don, we all need something to smile or laugh about these days. I have a friend with a 36 who is very particular about accessories on his car being authentic and Ford approved, but installed a greyhound anyway,
because he is a veterinarian.
Frank

Steve Kennedy    -- 08-31-2020 @ 6:30 PM
  In a separate thread, please post a picture of your 1936 wooden tool box that goes inside the rumble seat area over the right rear fender.
Steve in Denver

1935fordtn    -- 09-01-2020 @ 7:55 PM
  Ketron,
If you like the greyhound and the looks of it leave it on! I had one on my 36 Tudor sedan I used to own. If nothing else it’s amusing when those who don’t know better comment on your classic jaguar. That happened to me many times. Unlike dual exhaust or other add-on items this would be very easy to remove if you decided to.

wmsteed    -- 09-03-2020 @ 8:47 AM
  Steve, I'll start a new thread about the rumble seat tool box in a few days, not to sure I have any pic' of the area/box so I might have to take some.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

kubes40    -- 09-08-2020 @ 6:48 AM
  Bill, I'd like any supporting documentation in regard to the so called '36 tool box option. I've never heard of that.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

TomO    -- 09-12-2020 @ 7:31 AM
  Here is a link to some reproduction Greyhound radiator caps for people that want one on their cars.

https://forums.aaca.org/topic/346570-1932-1933-and-1934-greyhound-radiator-caps/

Tom

Ketronj281989    -- 09-15-2020 @ 4:09 PM
  Thanks guys.

I have decided to leave the greyhound on the car for now. It really complement's the car and the factory "V8" hood emblem. I am hoping the case is that this hound is a circa 1936 year made aftermarket part that was ordered and put on by the first owner at the dealership back in 1936 upon purchase! We may never really know. I appreciate all the responses and answering my questions.

Jon Ketron

This message was edited by Ketronj281989 on 9-15-20 @ 4:11 PM

kubes40    -- 09-15-2020 @ 7:03 PM
  Good evening Jon,
I had both my '36 roadster as well as friends here this past week. Mine doesn't have the dog - his does. My wife liked his better.
My point being as Mike stated earlier... if you like it, go for it!

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

TomO    -- 09-16-2020 @ 7:01 AM
  Jon, it is your car and you can do anything that you like to it. I am with Mike's wife, it does look better with the greyhound.

Tom

kubes40    -- 09-16-2020 @ 3:08 PM
  TomO, It appears I am being out voted

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

TomO    -- 09-17-2020 @ 7:29 AM
  Mike, you were out voted when your wife spoke. I learned 60 years ago that my wife has the majority opinion, even if there are another 100 votes different than her's. I am a slow learner, so it took 2 years for me to recognize that.

Tom

kubes40    -- 09-17-2020 @ 7:46 AM
  Tom, Funny as heck and oh so true. She's worth it

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

1934 Ford    -- 09-23-2020 @ 12:31 PM
  Jon,
Your greyhound seems to be to heavy in the legs and lacking in smooth finish to be original.
In 1972 when I bought my first 1934 Ford, J.C. Whitney offered the 34 Greyhound for $9.95. I was pround of it,
but it had the same problems as yours. Later stainless steel greyhounds replaced my J.C. Whitney one, they are
much better detailed than my first ones at 1/7th the cost of the new brass ones.
I suspect yours is a early cheap reproduction, like my J. C. Whitney greyhound. (Which I still have) At my first
AACA Show I had a 3 flag holder that slipped below the dog on the radiator/grill. A judge, forever named
A--H---, opened my hood to judge and the flag holder couged my hood 's paint and flipped the greyhound to
the pavement, breaking his leg. I picked upthe foot and leg and showed the car for years with a white bandage
holding on. Finally after replacing the greyhound with stainless one, I cut the greyhound off at the hips, drilled
and tapped his butt and mounted him on the back of my 35 Ford Pickup's outside mirror. I've told that story so
times now I don't remember AH's real name, but I think it was Frank something.
Of course "it was my fault for not having my hood open for the judges".

1934 Ford's since 1972

Ketronj281989    -- 10-25-2020 @ 4:43 PM
  1934 Ford,

Thank you very much for your response and analysis of my Greyhound. Sad to hear about your Greyhound, interesting story. Thanks for sharing!

Jon Ketron
1936 Ford V8 Standard Tudor Touring Sedan

Ketronj281989    -- 10-25-2020 @ 4:49 PM
  I wanted to thank all members whom were able to contribute to this topic. Conclusive evidence and the fact that Greyhounds were not factory issue on deluxe domestic cars circa 1936, I have decided to permanently remove the Greyhound from my car. You know, the factory issued 1936 year car "V8" design on the hood is quite attractive all by itself, my opinion of course!

Thanks for the responses and input!

Jon Ketron
1936 Ford V8 Standard Tudor Touring Sedan

trjford8    -- 10-29-2020 @ 9:33 AM
  If you are married to a dog lover like I am, a greyhound was required equipment on both my '35 and '36 Fords. A small price to pay. Happy wife, happy life!

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=14110