Topic: Lift Points on a 1936 Car

Ketronj281989    -- 08-07-2020 @ 7:32 AM
  I am slowly preparing a to-do list for the underside of the car. Could you all please share with me the proper lift point to service the underside of the car. I will be using a hydraulic hand jack as a lift, then place jack stands underneath once lifted into the air.

I would like to think the lift points are on the axle's. The front axle has a bow in it as from the factory. It is the original axle to my knowledge. Seems tricky to find the proper lift point on this axle.

Thanks,

Jon

alanwoodieman    -- 08-07-2020 @ 8:19 AM
  I use a floor jack with a wooden block attached to lift from the center of the front/rear axles. jack stands under the rear axle at the end near the backing plates, front axle jack stands on the inside of the perch bolts for the wishbone. have you thought about setting the tires/wheels on blocks to raise the car?

kubes40    -- 08-07-2020 @ 5:35 PM
  I typically lift at the center of the front axle and place each jack stand on the axle - inside of the front radius rod, directly next to the perch.
I lift the rear from the center section (gear housing) and place the stands close to the end of each axle housing.

I don't care to hold a car up on blocks, etc. Although most likely a rare occurrence, what if a tire blows?

As long as your working under there... the front spring is long past it's life.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

Ketronj281989    -- 08-10-2020 @ 6:00 AM
  alanwoodieman,

Greatly appreciate the pointers. Yes to answer your wheel question, I typically lift the car up, moving wheel ramps underneath the wheels. Each ramp is steel and rated to 3 ton, overkill. I always set the hand brake to maximum as well as put the car in gear. As an extra precaution I use wheel chocks under each wheel. I typically lift all 4 wheels up onto steel ramps, opposing the ramp positions so the car is not able to roll. At such height I can access all points underneath the car. The front axle had me scratching my head, I am used to front wheel modern cars!

Jon

Ketronj281989    -- 08-10-2020 @ 6:02 AM
  Mike,

Thanks for your reply. Appreciate the pointers on lift points. I figure there is always a risk associated when getting under any car, whether old or new. Jack stands are great and I use them from time to time.

Jon

alanwoodieman    -- 08-10-2020 @ 2:10 PM
  Kube, me thinks you need some new old used tires--sound like you have a collection of "maypops" for move around tires!

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=14052