Topic: Ignition Coil

42Flattman    -- 06-26-2020 @ 10:09 AM
  '42 Tudor Sedan - V8 - Thoughts / experience on replacing the coil......I find where I can get a rebuilt one online (core charge involved).......or MAC's (and others I'm sure) has new ones (same as original style).....which are almost 1/2 the cost of the rebuilt. (??) I'm sure someone has been down this road before.....and if you want to, you are welcome to put your 2 cents worth in about keeping the 6v system vs. changing to 12v.
Thanks
John

Kens 36    -- 06-26-2020 @ 11:59 AM
  John,

I highly recommend you get your coil rebuilt by Skip Haney for $75 + $8 shipping.

http://www.fordcollector.com/coils.htm

Ken

kubes40    -- 06-26-2020 @ 1:30 PM
  Like Kens36 has advised...
Do NOT waste your money on a reproduction. You will live to regret it.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

autoluke    -- 06-26-2020 @ 2:30 PM
  Curious to know what modifications Skip engineers to the coil.

42guy    -- 06-26-2020 @ 3:41 PM
  I had Skip re do my coil and it has been going 10 yrs.

kubes40    -- 06-26-2020 @ 6:02 PM
  Autoluke, I can't tell you what George (aka Skip) does to the coils other than "magic". He's done a boat load of them for me - every one perfection.
I won't install any other on my restorations.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

40 Coupe    -- 06-27-2020 @ 4:59 AM
  I was told, Skip takes the coil apart and replaces the internals, reassembles, test and cleans He also engraves a small mark on the bottom for identification.

39 Ken    -- 06-27-2020 @ 5:10 AM
  Another vote for Skip Haney to rebuild your coil.

http://www.fordcollector.com/coils.htm

Skip did two for me. His rebuild replaces the old
internals with new internals as mentioned and he
stands behind his work 100%.

Ken

42Flattman    -- 06-29-2020 @ 5:22 AM
  Well that pretty well settles it....I am sending my coil to Skip......Thank you all again for the help !
John

TomO    -- 06-29-2020 @ 7:31 AM
  John, Skip's rebuilt coils last much longer than any of the reproduction coils that i have seen.

Changing your car to 12 volts is a waste of money unless you are installing AC.

The engine will start and run fine on 6 volts, if all of your connections are clean, your lights will be bright enough to see at 40 mph. Your radio and heater will work correctly and when you need to troubleshoot an electrical problem, typical voltage readings are available on the Forums. Your starter will last longer running on its designed voltage.

Your lights will not be as bright as your modern car, with either 6 volts or 12 volts. You will need to have all 6 volt wiring, battery cables and harness.

Tom

42Flattman    -- 06-29-2020 @ 11:03 AM
  Hello again Tom !
Actually glad to hear it's not really necessary to convert to 12v.....that makes things simpler.......I am not adding a/c......and the car is a radio & heater delete car so those aren't an issue.......(I have thought about adding a little heater though.....assuming there is something available in 6v.....the one I saw on Speedway is 12v).....any particular thoughts on adding a heater ?
Thanks
John

alanwoodieman    -- 06-29-2020 @ 1:23 PM
  tell you how bad the repro coils are, and how good Skip's coils are, at the insistence of the car owner, because he wanted a black coil! I sent a new repro one to Skip to rebuild

42Flattman    -- 06-29-2020 @ 1:53 PM
  Haha....Thats funny.

TomO    -- 07-01-2020 @ 8:00 AM
  I drove my car for many years without a heater, and was comfortable down to the 40's on sunny days. If it was cloudy, 50 was the lowest that I could be comfortable driving the car. My wife and kids had other ideas. After I installed the heater tha car became more enjoyable to drive in all weather. On hot days, I can turn on the heater blower to help cool the coolant, on high humidity days, the defrosters keep the windshield clear and on cold days it keeps my feet warm.

If you can find a nice 41-42 heater, I would install it. It is a much appreciated accessory.

Here is a photo of a 1941 -42 Ford heater at the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum in Auburn, IN.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=13947