Topic: Bending door side of lower hinge on 41 coupe

bill41ford    -- 03-10-2020 @ 10:06 AM
  Looks like driver side lower hinge is bent out farther than pass. side - can this be heated and bent to match pass. side?

MG    -- 03-10-2020 @ 1:50 PM
  Is the alignment of the door when closed correct? Does the door seat correctly when closed? Maybe the the hinge was "bent" to its current position to allow for correct door to body alignment....

This message was edited by MG on 3-10-20 @ 1:52 PM

pinnsky    -- 03-10-2020 @ 1:57 PM
  The service bulletins for the early v8 show how to do this. I used an old fashioned pipe wrench with smooth jaws, couple of 4x4s and a small hydraulic jack braced against the garage wall to do both sides. Was easy and no heat required.

supereal    -- 03-24-2020 @ 10:54 AM
  Years ago when I worked for a Ford dealer we had a jig that hooked over the top of the door, and had a wide pad at the lower end. In the middle was a handle. We used it on many of the new cars to get the doors to fit by bending them slightly. I saw them in use at the Ford Rouge plant years ago as the cars came off the line. If the jig didn't get the job done, a worked with a rubber covered hammer did the rest with a couple of well placed whacks on the hinge side of the opening. We made the jig from a service
bulletin, but I didn't find in my extensive collection.

nelsb01    -- 03-24-2020 @ 12:36 PM
  I too remember seeing assembly line workers using the 2x4 method of alignment at the Twin Cities Ford Assembly Plant during plant tours in the late 60's.
They would just stick the 2x4 in the door opening near the hinge and slam the door. I believe in this case it was to get the door to move out, instead of move in.
The Twin Cities Assembly Plant is gone now, but some great memories still exist.

This message was edited by nelsb01 on 3-24-20 @ 12:38 PM

MG    -- 03-24-2020 @ 3:45 PM
  Yeah, nelsb01....When I worked at the St. Paul Assembly Plant back in the mid to late '60's, I recall the large mallets they used along with the 2x4's to beat on the car doors, trunk lid and hood to align them. The heads of these huge mallets looked to be made of leather. These "adjustments" were made at the "final inspection" after the car came off the assembly line....

This message was edited by MG on 3-24-20 @ 4:06 PM

fordv8j    -- 03-24-2020 @ 5:12 PM
  they used the 2by4 method on the assembly line at the Lorain Ohio assembly plant, made Falcons and Comets, in the 60s,

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=13656