Topic: 39 ford heater

oldfordman    -- 12-09-2019 @ 4:07 PM
  I’m seriously thinking about buying a ‘39 coupe! While looking at many pictures of the car (it’s nice) I see awhat looks like some sort of heater device! Fan cage hooked to a tube winding its way up to the firewall.
What is it? Ideas ?
Thanks for info, help!
Don

MG    -- 12-09-2019 @ 4:31 PM
  Given your description, it probably is an exhaust manifold heater. I don't think there is a fan motor though, just an adjustable outlet vent. There is an article in the most recent V8 Times about Hot Air Heaters...

This message was edited by MG on 12-9-19 @ 5:41 PM

kubes40    -- 12-09-2019 @ 5:42 PM
  MG, there is a fan on a 39 hot air heater.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

oldfordman    -- 12-09-2019 @ 6:59 PM
  Where does the hot air enter the cabin? It looks like the pipes or tubes go into the firewall up high!
Is the fan powered by an electric hook up or forced air? The man that I’m buying? The car from knows little about it and I don’t know much either!
Thanks
Don

cpipp01@aol.com    -- 12-09-2019 @ 7:44 PM
  See attached photo from a 1989 V8 Times.

cpipp01@aol.com    -- 12-09-2019 @ 7:48 PM
  If you buy the car you should purchase a copy of the V8 Clubs 1938 - 39 Ford book. It will answer many questions you will have.

Chris.NZ    -- 12-10-2019 @ 2:44 AM
  Google "1939 Ford hot air heater "
All should be revealed.
An excellent Ford approved accessory to have, especially in a cooler climate.
Unfortunately for us in NZ and Australia they were unable to be installed on RHD vehicles.

This message was edited by Chris.NZ on 12-10-19 @ 9:54 AM

TomO    -- 12-10-2019 @ 8:46 AM
  Here is a drawing from the Green Book. The air is sucked into the heater from the collector at the radiator by the blower, goes past the heat exchanger on the exhaust pipe, up into the passenger compartment and is diffused by the nozzle or directed to the defrosters.

Tom

oldfordman    -- 12-10-2019 @ 9:41 AM
  Thanks to everyone for pictures and drawings! As usual, very helpful, I can’t wait to get this car, I think it is a good one! Don’t know numbers, but I’ve looked for awhile and haven’t seen this hot air heater on any ‘39’s . I think it will be a real interesting piece to show my car buddies.

TomO    -- 12-10-2019 @ 8:27 PM
  They were the most common heater installed back i n the day. Most of them were removed due to fear about rust issues with the heat exchanger allowing exhaust fume into the car.

Tom

kubes40    -- 12-11-2019 @ 5:28 AM
  Here's a photo of a hot air heater installed in a '40 - very similar to that of a '39.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

oldfordman    -- 12-31-2019 @ 8:18 PM
  Yes, definitely buying the book and others as well. (Manuals, etc) Thanks for your help

Don

oldfordman    -- 01-09-2020 @ 10:18 AM
  Hi Tom and everyone,
I am ordering the '39 book as the '39 coupe should be coming my way soon, and i will need all the help i can get!
Looking at pictures of the car with some disassembly, I see the passenger side exhaust manifold with a section of pipe welded in where the heat exchanger probably was, so this was removed at some point like you said Tom. All the other plumbing seems to be there, so question is, can I find one of those things or just leave it as is?
Thanks again for your help.
Don

kubes40    -- 01-09-2020 @ 1:23 PM
  Don,
I, along with others, will be here to help you.
I've restored a number of '39 Fords to top point status and have many detail photos. Those may help you along your path
I also have a lot of hot air heater parts (cheap)… let me know when and if you need anything.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

oldfordman    -- 01-09-2020 @ 6:52 PM
  Hey Mike (Kube),
That is great and as soon as I get the ‘39 here (my home in middle Tennessee) I will know more about what is there and what I need. According to the pics the plumbing is there except for the actual heat collector.
The frame rail stamped number is this: *O-18735*
What does this tell us?
Thank you very much
Don

oldfordman    -- 01-31-2020 @ 2:49 PM
  Hi Kube,
Well, I have my '39 and its really nice, body, paint. etc.
As to the hot air heater, well its partly there. The exhaust manifolds are gone, its equipped with headers, so the heat exchanger is gone. to complete the original setup I suppose i'll have to have new exhaust manifolds and the heat exchanger [is that the correct name?] Is it worth it? I have no idea if any of the parts are even available nor the cost involved! You advised earlier that you had some of the hot air parts.
We have moderate winters here and I won't be driving the car a lot in the winter anyway, so should I persue this?
Thanks,
Don

TomO    -- 01-31-2020 @ 5:18 PM
  Don, it is your choice. Drive your car for a while and then make the decision. If you are going to keep the headers, you might consider removing the remaining parts and fabricating a cover for the hole in the firewall to keep engine fumes out of the passenger compartment.

From experience, I can tell you that you will receive enough heat leaking into the passenger compartment from the engine compartment to keep you warm on 50 F days. Below that temperature you may need gloves.

I have a hot water heater in my car and use it very seldom. I also have a 39 Hot water heater that is for sale. I don't have a 39 heater switch.

Tom

kubes40    -- 02-01-2020 @ 12:14 PM
  Don, I like the hot air heaters for their uniqueness. and, in reality, if you desire the heater for well, heat, this type offers it the moment the engine starts running.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

oldfordman    -- 02-01-2020 @ 3:51 PM
  Thank you Tom for your advice, yes good idea to drive the car for awhile, then decide.
Don

oldfordman    -- 02-01-2020 @ 3:58 PM
  Hi Mike (Kube),
Thanks for your reply. And yes, I like the uniqueness of the hot air heater! I don’t want to give up the headers right now, so gonna drive awhile before deciding!
Thank you
Don

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=13439