Topic: Lubricate 1936 speedometer ?

Grant    -- 08-21-2019 @ 6:15 AM
  Could someone please direct me to instructions for proper lubrication of a 1936 Ford speedometer?

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 08-21-2019 @ 2:19 PM
  HI
you never said what was the problem
its most likely the cable if it is making noise,
disconnect the cable from the back of speedometer and use speedometer lube, graphite lube
and let it drain down the cable trickle down,
if you can get the back wheels off the ground you can run the car and see the cable rotate,[be care full ]
lubing the speedo has to be done with it removed,
hope this helps 37Ragtopman

Grant    -- 08-21-2019 @ 4:51 PM
  Thanks for responding, 37Ragtopman.

The problem is that the speedometer needle is flicking up and down, reading high and then low, over and over again.

My guess is that the cause is some sort of lubricant starvation inside the speedometer itself. As soon as I get time ..... possibly tomorrow ...... I intend to remove the speedo.

While the speedometer is out, the cable will definitely get lubricated too.

There doesn't seem to be an instructions video on You Tube which relates specifically to performing this type of service work on old Fords.

40 Coupe    -- 08-22-2019 @ 8:53 AM
  If you remove the speedometer you can rotate the main shaft with a small screwdriver to see if it is hard to turn. There is a small cup on the rear by the shaft. pry out the cup and you can add light oil to the main shaft. The shaft should turn with ease. Give the oil some time to soak in.

kirkstad    -- 08-23-2019 @ 11:25 AM
  Hi Grant.
I had the same problem with my 36 and then one day I had the car out and the speedometer stopped working altogether.When I disconnected the cable,I saw it had broken up near the speedometer.When I removed the speedometer I found that I could not turn it by hand at all, witch put such a strain on the cable it finally broke.I used a small amount of WD-40 and it freed the meter so I could spin it easily by hand.I wish I had done it sooner,I wouldn't have had to replace a perfectly good original cable.
Frank

supereal    -- 08-24-2019 @ 2:32 PM
  The common cause of a jumping speedo needle is a worn area where the cable attaches. It allows the magnetic discs to wobble. Lubrication usually won't fix it. We send them to Bob's Speedometer in Michigan. They will give you an estimate, 1-800-592-9673.

Grant    -- 08-24-2019 @ 5:48 PM
  Thanks, everybody. I'll let you know how I make out with this speedo issue.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=13156