Topic: Speedo face plate replacement

jakes    -- 04-19-2019 @ 1:26 PM
  I am experiencing difficulties in removing the speedo needle in my 1937 Ford to replace the face plate. I searched the web and could not find anything on how to proceed. There were many sites providing speedo repairs but none for early Fords. I don't want to just start prying the needle off without knowing the consequences. I need help! Thanks, Jakes.

trjford8    -- 04-19-2019 @ 1:59 PM
  As I recall the needle is a press fit. It should come off just by pulling on it.

kubes40    -- 04-19-2019 @ 4:55 PM
  It is as advised, a press fit. I would suggest, if at all possible, apply a needle nose plier to the shaft before attempting to pull the needle off of it.
I would not want to place any unnecessary stress on the speedometer shaft.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

51woodie    -- 04-19-2019 @ 7:54 PM
  I had thought about repairing my speedometer, because the odometer had quit working. Being a fairly handy fellow, I considered trying to repair it myself. Then a few thoughts crossed my mind. Where do I get parts for it if needed, and what happens if I screw it up. I decided to send it out for repair, so I checked the Forum and the Net, and sent it to Bob's Speedometer in Howell, MI. They did and excellent job with a quick turn around.

jakes    -- 04-20-2019 @ 4:35 AM
  Thank you for your response, and I will proceed as you suggest. I have extra speedometers to practice on before changing the face plate on the one I'm using.
Jakes

jakes    -- 04-21-2019 @ 12:20 PM
  I removed the needle from the extra speedo that I had. The needle was pressed on very tight and with a little effort it came off undamaged using small pliers. I then proceeded to remove the needle from the speedo that I wanted to replace the face plate, thinking that I could just switch face plates from the two speedo's. All went very well except that the two face plates (even thought they were both from 1937's were different), the holes for the odometer and the trip meter was not the same. I could not see that they were different until I matched them up. So I cleaned up the one I wanted to replace and reinstalled it. It looked a lot better (see attached photo). If someone was to purchase a new speedo face plate make sure that the holes are in the same location, otherwise you will not be able to fully see the numbers.
Jakes

trjford8    -- 04-21-2019 @ 5:48 PM
  Ford used different vendors for their speedometers. As I recall the two vendors were Waltham and Stewart -Warner. This would explain the difference in the faces. The back side of the speedo should indicate the manufacturer.

Don Rogers    -- 04-21-2019 @ 8:17 PM
  Tom, I believe that Delco was the 3rd supplier.

flatheadfan    -- 04-23-2019 @ 8:33 AM
  Don-

I have also found on some 1935 Canadian cars had a speedo made by Unity.

Tom

trjford8    -- 04-23-2019 @ 1:18 PM
  Don, thanks. I forgot about Delco.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=12837