Topic: 1937 ford club cabriolet radio install

jakes    -- 12-14-2018 @ 6:42 AM
  I am installing the original style radio unit in my 1937 club cabriolet, and not sure on how and where to mount the receiver box (tube box). What kind of hangers and does it hang from the dash or cowl (at the glove box area). Any help would be greatly appreciated. Search on the web was unsuccessful, no information or images found.
Thanks, Jakes

carcrazy    -- 12-14-2018 @ 7:07 AM
  Do you have the "The 1937 Ford Book" published by The Early Ford V-8 Club? If not, I highly recommend getting it. In it the radio mounting position for both closed and open cars is stated as follows:
"This case (radio box with tubes) was attached to the dash ("firewall") under the instrument panel above the steering column in front of the driver. Attachment was with two T-head bolts. The bolts hooked onto brackets on each side of the case and were each secured with a large washer, lockwasher, and nut in the engine compartment. This way when installing the radio you could put the T-bolts in loose, position the heavy radio unit. Turn the bolt heads to hold it up. Then tighten the nuts from the engine compartment." I hope this helps.

jakes    -- 12-14-2018 @ 7:18 AM
  Thanks, I will definitely check this out. With your reply now I can see why I did not have any indications that the case was ever installed at the glove box area in my car, although I do see 37 ford's with the case hung just below the glove box.
Thanks again!!!

I'll let you know how it turns out.

trjford8    -- 12-14-2018 @ 4:59 PM
  If you saw a radio box hung just below the glove box you were looking at a non original '37 radio. In the old days there were many "universal fit" radios that people could buy that were cheaper than the factory radio.

jakes    -- 12-15-2018 @ 5:03 AM
  That explains when I looked under the dash to see where the location of the Tee bolts would go that carcrazy mentioned above I didn't see anything. So my thinking is that my car was a radio delete. The radio case that I have has a speaker built into the case. Is case # 78-18808B the correct case that belongs in a club cabriolet? Oh yeah, I did have to install the antenna between the windshields (no holes provided). If the case is the correct one I would want to install it above the steering column, but not certain exactly where and how to install Tee bolts. Any sugesstions? Images would be great, but I can't seem to find any on line.
Thanks to both of you for your help!!!

efv8CofAAdmin    -- 12-15-2018 @ 6:00 AM
  Carcrazy's first sentence is the best help you can get. Order the 1937 Ford Book published by the Club. Available from the Online Store on this site.
It has pictures, wiring diagrams and templates for installing accessory radios.

Web Administrator

trjford8    -- 12-15-2018 @ 7:14 AM
  It does sound like your car came without a radio. There should have been a wood grained metal cover in the center of the dash, which covered the hole, where the radio head is supposed to be mounted. The V-8 Club's '37 book will be a great help to you.

jakes    -- 12-15-2018 @ 7:15 AM
  Thanks, I'll order the book. Seems like the best way to go.

MG    -- 12-15-2018 @ 9:20 AM
  If I recall correctly, there should be two 'dimples' on the firewall to drill out for the correct "Tee-Bolt" location. You can see the two bolts in the picture I've attached below. In the picture they are located just below the bend in the firewall where it goes from an angle to vertical....

jakes    -- 12-15-2018 @ 9:54 AM
  Thanks, your reply is very helpful. From your photo, is one of the Tee - Bolts located near the throttle rod? By chance could you also take a view of the underside of the dash?
Thanks again !!

MG    -- 12-15-2018 @ 11:40 AM
  Yes, looking at the picture, the left Tee-Bolt is located close to the throttle rod.

I no longer own the car so I can't take a photo of the underside of the dash. However, if you enlarge the attached picture below you can see the right side of the radio chassis under the dash with the radio-head conduit connected to it....

This message was edited by MG on 12-15-18 @ 11:43 AM

jakes    -- 12-16-2018 @ 7:52 AM

Photo helpful, thanks again for all your help!!!!!

TonyM    -- 12-17-2018 @ 11:45 AM
  That black piece above the steering column is the correct location for a Ford installed radio. The radio head (controller) is located in center of instrument panel (as stated above).

78-730B

This message was edited by TonyM on 12-17-18 @ 11:46 AM

MG    -- 12-17-2018 @ 12:12 PM
  TonyM - Excellent picture you posted for jakes radio install....

jakes    -- 12-26-2018 @ 2:10 PM
  I did order and received The 37 Ford book from the Online Store. The section regarding the radio receiver was very limited and did not indicate where the location of the Tee Bolts were located, nor were there and diagrams on that subject. I was however very impressed with the vast amount of information regarding the 37 Ford, and glad I took your advise to purchase the book. Without the help from members of this forum I would be clueless on how to mount the radio received. Thank you very much for all of your assistance. Have a Happy and safe New Years!!!

TonyM    -- 12-26-2018 @ 4:10 PM
  Reprints of the Ford Radio install instructions for Ford Dealers for 1937 Ford can be ordered from Bob Drake or Mac's.

78-730B

TonyM    -- 12-26-2018 @ 4:13 PM
  Try this:

This is the instruction sheet used for installing Ford Radios for 1937.

https://www.bobdrake.com/FordItem.aspx?Item=RB-37&ReturnURL=/7f0c8335-4487-46f4-bba2-efe58e367800&Category=7f0c8335-4487-46f4-bba2-efe58e367800

78-730B

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=12530