Topic: 1951 ford station wagon firewall stamp information

bird    -- 10-16-2018 @ 9:08 PM
  I have just liberated a 1951 Ford Country Squire from being off the road since 1974. wondering what these letters and numbers mean that are stamped on the fire wall LB79CT39337 OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT AS THE STAMPING IS NOT REAL CLEAR. serial #B1LB115700
ALL help appreciated.

Kens 36    -- 10-17-2018 @ 9:16 AM
  Part of the cowl code can be deciphered using data in the 1940-1950-1951 Ford Book, available on this website.

LB=Long Beach assembly plant
79=Country Squire Station Wagon
C=Sheridan Blue exterior paint
T=Two-tone tan vinyl

The remaining numbers are unclear. The first three should denote the day/month of production, but the second or third number is normally a letter. The latter part of the number is the unit production number.

Variations of these cowl codes have stumped owners for years.

The serial number indicates V-8 engine "B" 1951 "1" Long Beach assembly (LB). The 115700 is the unit production number at that plant.

Ken

Ken

bird    -- 10-18-2018 @ 9:06 PM
  Your a champ and the only one who replied! Really appreciate that.
Bird

bird    -- 10-18-2018 @ 9:20 PM
  photos!

Kens 36    -- 10-19-2018 @ 7:28 AM
  Bird,

Looking at the cowl code, there is a possibility that the codes after the "CT" could be 3C or 8C. If so, this would indicate production on March 3 or March 8. The 337 would be the production number on that date.

If there is any original glass on the car, you can decode those codes as well. If they are February or March 1951, that would be an additional clue.

Ken

bird    -- 10-20-2018 @ 7:20 AM
  All glass is original so I'll further the investigation. Only missing the rear tail gate piece on the drivers side. Any leads on that please let me know!
Thank you Ken

ken ct.    -- 10-20-2018 @ 7:44 AM
  Ive known this for yrs but why did Ford put a 50 dash in 51 wagons ???? ken ct just curious!

bird    -- 10-22-2018 @ 6:34 PM
  I think the reflection off of the windshield is blocking out the chrome strip and solid color painted part forward of that up to the windshield.

bird    -- 10-23-2018 @ 7:52 AM
  Upon viewing other picture the chrome strip and solid color painted dash shows up well so dash appears to be the correct one.

51woodie    -- 10-23-2018 @ 8:34 PM
  Bird
I tried to PM you but yours is disabled. I have a '51 wagon that I started restoring, but have not got time or resources to finish. If you are interested, send me a PM with your contact info. Lots of new parts, fresh chrome etc. I'm listed in the 2018 roster and located in Ontario.

bird    -- 10-24-2018 @ 7:33 AM
  Now that has the potential to be a show stopper! I'm sticking with the well used direction as it fits the style of my shop Bird's Surf SHED. I am looking for just a few things though but they need to be weathered to match the car. Rear bumper brackets and the over riders. drivers side tailgate piece of glass. Four screws to put the passenger side tail light back on and thats about it as of now. I'll remove and seal the wood but other than getting it into top running shape that's about it. It will be used daily and be parked outside of my surf shop.

TomO    -- 10-24-2018 @ 8:07 AM
  Bird, Ken Ct was not implying that your dash is incorrect, just that the wagons did not have the same dash as the rest of the cars. Here is a illustration of the 51 dash used in the the cars.

Tom

bird    -- 10-24-2018 @ 7:01 PM
  Looks like it'll be a show stopper when finished. For my wants and needs the Weathered look is more appropriate. My goal is to get mine as mechanically sound as possible and just drive the cr*p out of it. Bird's Surf SHED is my funky little shop so the tired look fits the stores image well.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=12411