Topic: Tar Paper

gmcbuffalo    -- 08-03-2018 @ 9:14 PM
  What are restorers using to replace the Tar like cardboard that covers the floors and back of seats and even around the cab?
Restoring a 1935 Ford coupe.

Greg Meiling
1935 3 Window Coupe

kubes40    -- 08-04-2018 @ 5:29 AM
  Greg, While I can't speak for folks restoring '35 Fords, I can tell you that same paper is found in '39 and '40 Fords on a limited basis.
Very thick tar paper is available at specialty roofing supply companies. You are unlikely to find it at your local box store. It is fairly inexpensive but you must buy a roll. If I recall correctly, a 100'x 3' roll was around $45.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

ford38v8    -- 08-04-2018 @ 9:03 AM
  Kube is correct, and the material he refers to is 30 lb felt. Most roofers use 15 lb felt, but that is too thin for your needs. All roofing material supply houses will have both.

Alan

CharlieStephens    -- 08-04-2018 @ 10:12 AM
  When I read your question the name Bob Drake pops into my mind, you might want to give them a call along with the other suppliers.

Charlie Stephens

This message was edited by CharlieStephens on 8-4-18 @ 11:05 AM

kubes40    -- 08-05-2018 @ 8:52 AM
  Drake sells the waffle pattern stuff. It's a nice offering but not what the original poster desires. The material he desires is flat. That is - no pattern whatsoever.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

wmsteed    -- 08-05-2018 @ 1:40 PM
  I would advise against using roofing felt/tar paper and any other building material type of product in an automobile. All of these products are designed as a vapor barrier and/or waterproof membrane. Inside of a vehicle wherein very high tempts can and will occur, the paper will emit a tar/asphalt odor that will be very unpleasant.
Stay with products that are designed for the interior of a vehicle.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

kubes40    -- 08-05-2018 @ 1:42 PM
  Bill, I have never encountered any adverse issues with tar paper. I am just now completing my sixteenth restoration and still, no issues.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

wmsteed    -- 08-07-2018 @ 10:29 AM
  My auto experience is not limited to Ford built vehicles. I have several GM vehicles and a few DCPD vehicles plus a couple brand X's. I am a member of several car clubs, Buick, Chevy, Olds and Plymouth and as such I am party to many online car forums.
I have read many articles containing information about the use of asphalt based products in vehicles and/or dwellings. About the only place that tar paper/roofing felt is now used is on roofs, where the asphalt odor can breath out. Many years ago tar paper was very common as a vapor barrier on exterior walls behind brick and/or wood, the norm is now a plastic like product.
I know that old habits die hard and that many people like to avoid change, which brings to mind a famous saying by Henry Ford, " He stated that if he would have asked people what they wanted, they would have replied, faster horses".

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

This message was edited by wmsteed on 8-7-18 @ 10:33 AM

kubes40    -- 08-07-2018 @ 11:04 AM
  Bill, While I can't argue with your logic, I tried to keep in mind first and foremost the original poster's question. "What are restorers using...". The key word here being "restorers".
Building a modified car allows for materials that differed from the authentic. Restoring a vehicle does not allow that same "luxury".

I have restored numerous high point cars and never once did the relatively small amount of paper utilized cause any ill effects.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

wmsteed    -- 08-08-2018 @ 8:31 AM
  The key word in the original question was "restorers".. The man did not clarify his statement to say that he was building a high point show car or an every day driver. My contribution was to alert him to the possibility that he might use a product that was not to the best of his interests if the vehicle in question was going to be used for daily driving. Of course if the vehicle is an open car, then an asphalt based product could vent out, where-as it might not in a closed car.
I am a certified construction expert with over fifty years experience in the industry. During the past twenty years I have seen several newer buildings that had to be demo-ed because asphalt based products had been used in the walls and floors.
The people that had specified and/or used the asphalt based products were not up on their modern skills... Old School Thinking. Been doing this for forty years..
I also have read several articles about modern vehicle sound deadening materials that state "no asphalt bleeding/migration"...

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

kubes40    -- 08-08-2018 @ 8:36 AM
  Bill,
I am enjoying this conversation and don't for a minute doubt your experience.
Still, "restore" means precisely that... not to modify or alter but to bring back to the authentic.

Perhaps I am reading too much in to the original poster's inquiry. If I am then he used the wrong word to describe what he desires. But then again, if he is simply redoing the car and not restoring it, then why ask what was used? He could simply use whatever he likes.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

gmcbuffalo    -- 08-09-2018 @ 10:35 AM
  I am trying to restore, but I did use the word wrong. To restore would take to long and I would like to drive this car again while I can still drive, had it since I was 14 y/o. The car is older than me but will still out last me. My floors and are covered (poorly) with the thick tar paper. My question should have read what are owner using to replace the tar paper, getting new tar paper or using something more current that would take care of heat and sound?

Greg Meiling
1935 3 Window Coupe

trjford8    -- 08-09-2018 @ 10:55 AM
  Greg, most guys are using the more modern stuff like Dyna-Mat, Kool Mat or similar materials. They are sound deadeners and insulators. They work well and you can buy the stuff on-line or at Summit Racing. Great stuff and I have used it on all my cars.

trjford8    -- 08-09-2018 @ 10:55 AM
  Greg, most guys are using the more modern stuff like Dyna-Mat, Kool Mat or similar materials. They are sound deadeners and insulators. They work well and you can buy the stuff on-line or at Summit Racing. Great stuff and I have used it on all my cars.

wmsteed    -- 08-13-2018 @ 8:49 AM
  I have used Dyna-Mat and/or Road-Kill in my last three restoration project. The two products are very similar.. Road-Kill is a little cheaper, available on line by the box which hold 18"x 32 sheets. Road-Kill is self sticking and molds it's self to what ever surface you attach it to. There is no waste to the self sticking products, any cut off pieces can be used to fill in odd shaped areas.

As a side bar to the asphalt based 'tar paper' products. I was on a construction project last Saturday. I noted that the vapor/waterproof paper that was being used on walls no longer contains asphalt. The product, Aqua-Bar, looks the same as it use to with a brown paper on both sides and what appeared to be an asphalt core. Stamped in large format printing at regular spacing along the rolls was a statement that the product complied with California standards for emissions/air quality.
I guess the old school vapor barriers had to step up to the plate and modernize their products to compete with the plastic like Tyvek (Dupont) products.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

This message was edited by wmsteed on 8-13-18 @ 9:45 AM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=12187