Topic: 1935 ford engine troubles

Garysr1966    -- 07-21-2018 @ 6:35 PM
  Ok , you people out here helped so far getting this car to run, here is the problem it is having now... well let me start with what i have done so far, i changed the dist, to a new electric carp dist, new fuel lines with new fuel pump, now if i run it around 2 blocks and it will not go more then that, it will be out of gas, i can fill the bowl up and will run for a minute and thats it. if i let it for an hour or so it will fire up if i chock it..... should i put a electric fuel pump on it? or any ideas

ford38v8    -- 07-21-2018 @ 7:12 PM
  Don't start replacing parts till you diagnose the problem correctly. I'd start with checking the pump you have, disconnect the line to the carb, and see if it will pump into a container. If it won't pump, check for a collapsed flex line, and check for leaking connections that will suck in air instead of fuel.

What is a new electric carp distributor?

Alan

Garysr1966    -- 07-21-2018 @ 8:26 PM
  sorry its the crab distributor... the funny thing is that when it went around the block after it die, it wasn't pumping up nothing, but could suck up on the line and get gas, but after letting it sit for 2 hours it would pump up the gas to the bowl and i put on a clear line to watch it, no air bubbles at all for 10 mins and then nothing but air and it dies..i put a one piece steel line from the tank to the pump. could it be the pump because when i put air in the tank it fired right up and ran for a bit...

40 Coupe    -- 07-22-2018 @ 5:02 AM
  Do you have the original hydrostatic fuel gauge of 35? If so you may want to look for cracked solder joints at the sending unit which is at the top of the gas tank. The joints can be resoldered after removing the sending unit from the tank.

TomO    -- 07-22-2018 @ 8:00 AM
  Try running the engine with the gas cap off. I have seen this symptom when the fuel tank vent is not allowing air in to replace the fuel.

Tom

Garysr1966    -- 07-22-2018 @ 12:51 PM
  yes i have the hydrostatic fuel gauge but it is not hooked up at all, but i did see then when i put air in it and there was gas coming out of the top of it,maybe that is it

and i will try it without the cap

Chascwell2    -- 07-22-2018 @ 3:11 PM
  There could be something floating around in the tank that gets sucked into the fuel pick up and blocks flow., then floats away when fluid flow stops when the ignition is shut off or the car stalls. The solution would be to remove and clean the tank.

chascwell

40 Coupe    -- 07-24-2018 @ 6:06 AM
  I would bet your new fuel line is connected to the hydrostatic sender as original since there is no where else to connect it on the 35 original gas tank. On the hydrostatic is a brass fitting for the fuel line. The other side of the fitting has a short fuel line soldered to the brass fitting. At that soldered joint look for a small crack in the lead solder. Any crack can make it nearly impossible for a good fuel pump to pick up and deliver fuel to the carburetor. The hydrostatic also has the fuel tank air vent tube which should be clear of any debris. Since the gas cap is Non-vented it's the only way air enters into the tank. Since you have to remove the hydrostatic to make any solder repairs, clean the vent tube and the other tubes you may as well clean it and repair any other broken solder joint. I have attached a picture of the 33-34 hydrostatic which is very much like the 35

Garysr1966    -- 07-24-2018 @ 1:12 PM
  ok i was wondering what that small line was used for, will have to look at it again, as for the vent on it i know it is clear, i put some air to the tank and it did leak from the back side of it

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=12145