Topic: Wiring a signal stat VSM 900 turn signal switch

Bill E Bob    -- 07-19-2018 @ 11:35 AM
  Am installing turn signals in my '47 Fordor using the 7 wire unit. Have figured out the front lights, but having trouble conceptualizing the wiring for the rear lights. One wire goes from the turn signal switch to the stop light switch (assume this supplies power to the switch). Now, do the rear brake light wires go to the bulb via tapping into the existing stop light wires at the light fixture or can I tap into the left side at the stop light switch and the right side at the fixture. This is (hopefully) using the existing dual filament bulbs in the rear fixtures.
Any assistance appreciated.
William(juggling electrons)Brown

GK1918    -- 07-20-2018 @ 1:56 AM
  You will have to cut one rear wire (cut the left rear) then add a wire
from that light up to the switch. Now add a wire at the stop light
switch wire up to the signal switch which is now the right rear and the
other added wire is now left rear. Then add a wire from the stop light
switch up to the turn switch. Hope this is understandable . Better if I
could draw a pic, but my scanner took a dump. There should be a chart on line for a "two rear light system" sam

Bill E Bob    -- 07-20-2018 @ 5:15 AM
  Soooo, as I see it. You remove the wire from the stop light switch that goes to the rear of the car and replace it with the indicated wire from the turn signal switch. Then you remove the stop light connection from the right rear (passenger side) and install a new wire from the turn signal switch.
Next, make a connection to the wire you removed from the stop light switch to the turn signal switch and this will operate the driver's side. At this point, both sides should operate as expected.
Correct?
William Brown

Model B    -- 07-20-2018 @ 5:58 AM
  William...Did your turn signal switch kit come with the instructions? I am attaching a diagram I found on google.
Perhaps it will help. Good luck, Pat

This message was edited by Model B on 7-20-18 @ 5:58 AM

Bill E Bob    -- 07-20-2018 @ 10:36 AM
  After some searching and your posts, think I've got it figured out.
Thank You for your assistance GK1918 and Model B.
William(feeling educated)Brown

Sneezer    -- 07-20-2018 @ 11:53 AM
  I have the same switch and it works fine. Can anyone tell me the secret to getting the indicator bulbs to illuminate when signaling a turn? My brother has the same switch and his do not work also. I never did take the top cover off

carcrazy    -- 07-20-2018 @ 12:39 PM
  The bulb in your turn signal lever may be a 12V bulb. You will need to get a 6V bulb to fit into your turn signal lever.

Sneezer    -- 07-20-2018 @ 5:42 PM
  Should be working as my car has a 12v system. I'll take the top cover off to see if any bulbs are present. Thanks for the reply

deluxe40    -- 07-20-2018 @ 7:11 PM
  You want the indicator bulb to light whether you are turning right or left but you can't just wire them together. I made a small circuit with a couple of diodes to keep the current going to the indicator bulb from turning around and going back to the non-turning side lights. I think some switches do this internally, but I liked the old style switch with the green light on the end of the stalk.

GK1918    -- 07-22-2018 @ 3:41 AM
  Yes, only thing is, its better to cut the left driver side just less wire to run.
and that wire and the rear right run all the way to the dash. I my memory serves me I think on the turn switch it's either the grey or brown that goes to the stop light sw. sam

TomO    -- 07-22-2018 @ 8:17 AM
  The blue wire is used to provide power to the indicator bulb on the switch. The ground is supplied by the clamp that holds the switch to the steering column.

Tom

Bill E Bob    -- 07-24-2018 @ 1:50 PM
  UPDATE:
Turn signal switch installed and signals operating properly, HOWEVER, the pilot bulb in the switch is not operating as it should. Have replaced bulb with proper 6V unit, tested the bulb in the switch by applying voltage and it works fine. Hook up the flasher unit (new) and no pilot light in the switch. Switch is wired per diagram. Any suggestions?? If load and power leads were swapped, at the flasher, might that work? (Without major harm to the system!)
William(stumped)Brown

40cpe    -- 07-24-2018 @ 6:55 PM
  A three terminal flasher has a "P" terminal for the pilot, or indicator, light.

carcrazy    -- 07-24-2018 @ 7:36 PM
  In order to provide a ground between the signal lever and the vehicle you will have to scr*pe the paint off the steering column beneath the mounting strap (hose clamp).

trjford8    -- 07-25-2018 @ 6:47 AM
  carcrazy has it right. The unit must ground to the column for the indicator light to function.

trjford8    -- 07-25-2018 @ 6:47 AM
  carcrazy has it right. The unit must ground to the column for the indicator light to function.

TomO    -- 07-25-2018 @ 7:06 AM
  If you are able to get the light to glow by applying voltage to it, your ground is probably acceptable. Check to see if you have voltage on the P contact of the flasher when the turn signals are operating. If not, then either the flasher is defective or the socket is defective.

If you have voltage at the P terminal of the flasher, check for continuity between the P terminal and the bulb socket.

You do not have to ruin the paint on your steering column, you can just put a number 10 star washer under the clamp and let the points dig into the paint. Place the washer in a spot that will not be noticeable if you have to remove the switch.

Switching the load and power wires will not make the pilot light work.

Tom

This message was edited by TomO on 7-25-18 @ 7:29 AM

Bill E Bob    -- 07-25-2018 @ 7:13 AM
  Switch unit is grounded. As mentioned, when power applied to pilot bulb wire it lights, when properly attached to flasher.....nothing. If pilot bulb wire is attached to "L" (load) terminal, it flashes as it should. Would leave it that way, unfortunately, the pilot bulb stays lit all the time when the switch is in the neutral position. Did a meter check on the pilot terminal of the flasher when operating and only got 5.5V each time it flashed--evidently not enough to light the pilot bulb.
Any suggestions?? Is there a specific + ground flasher made?
William(suffering love/hate with my Ford)Brown

TomO    -- 07-25-2018 @ 7:48 AM
  5.5 volts should make a 6 volt bulb glow. Try connecting a trouble light to the P terminal of the flasher. If it does not light, either the flasher or socket is bad. I would try cleaning the contacts in the socket and on the flasher. Use 1000 grit sandpaper.

Tom

Bill E Bob    -- 07-25-2018 @ 8:26 AM
  When all else fails, replace the part that all your investigation points to. Managed to find a 6 volt Tung-Sol (made in USA) flasher at our little old local auto parts store. Lights flash at about twice the speed, but, the pilot works as it should. Some wire loom covers and black zip ties and I'll call it finished. Big thanks to all for your assistance!

William(new in box=maybe)Brown

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=12136